Where Do You Like To Shop For Groceries?

tomaw
Posted
Posted

I'm not just interested in getting a low price. I also want to make sure the food is safe to eat and of reasonably good quality. I know you can get cheap food in the wet market. I also know they sell raw meat unrefigerated and not even covered where flies can and do get to it. Yuck!

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Which region?

Concerning vegs: 

There are "marketing" corporations for farmers in different places, which make it easier to reach the products if living in a city. Some are organic, some not.

And there are groups interested in organic farming e g this https://www.facebook.com/groups/826137934104721/

(I talked to one from Bacolod two days ago.)    If you ask one from your region, I suppouse he can tell you where you can get what you want.

Or you just go rural in your region and ask   :)  

Concerning meat:

If you talk to a small breeder of e g pigs, it's possible you can make agreement which is your pig.

(E g my gf had sold her pigs a rather long time BEFORE she finnished growing them.)

The much more healthy BROWN rice can be bought from some farmers much cheaper than in market.  (I don't have any fresh contact, but a few years ago I knew one in Butuan selling 40 kg sacks for 1000p soon after harvest.)  It just need extra cleaning, and if you want to store it longer, you have to preboil it  (=Cook it a while, but far from ready.)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

In Mandaue by the twin bridges mall is a place called Belcris which sells meat products which are overseen by a German butcher I have used them many times and now they have a shop in Dumaguete also. You could check out online a place called Swiss deli who also deliver meat products subject to a minimum order. In Argao there 3 meat shops which I know about Apart from that I take my chance with the flies!

Vegetables are easy to scorce here as Mantalongon is just up the road.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We shop at Robinson's.  The meat is better than SM, but the selection of foreign food not as good as SM.  For produce we go to the wet market usually.  None of the grocery stores around here have good veggies.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

We shop at the Duty Free groceries for everything but local fruit and vegetables. We get those at the local market for half the price. The only thing we buy at the wet market is Prawns. we also do a monthly trip to SNR for stuff that is not available locally.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just yesterday I did a full tour of the largest market here in Davao and was quite impressed! Yes, the veggies are amazing and very inexpensive! I saw Butternut Squash 3 times the size we grew back home... Onions of varying sizes... Little potatoes... Medium potatoes... And huge potatoes! Same for the fruit! Don't bother with grocery stores for your fresh fruits and veggies or you'll decide you were better off back home... Go to the local market! Now one thing I did see which I liked... About 1/3 of the meat vendors had coolers! Glass top for you to look through to see what looks good... Unfortunately, a brownout hit just as we got there and it was too dark to really see the meats! As for seafood? I just wait for my local fish lady to come by early in the morning... Styrofoam coolers for some, others in buckets of ice water... The only other thing you need to know? Pizza comes from S&R...

:D

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 3

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

Which region?

Concerning vegs:

There are "marketing" corporations for farmers in different places, which make it easier to reach the products if living in a city. Some are organic, some not.

And there are groups interested in organic farming e g this https://www.facebook.com/groups/826137934104721/

(I talked to one from Bacolod two days ago.) If you ask one from your region, I suppouse he can tell you where you can get what you want.

Or you just go rural in your region and ask :)

Concerning meat:

If you talk to a small breeder of e g pigs, it's possible you can make agreement which is your pig.

(E g my gf had sold her pigs a rather long time BEFORE she finnished growing them.)

The much more healthy BROWN rice can be bought from some farmers much cheaper than in market. (I don't have any fresh contact, but a few years ago I knew one in Butuan selling 40 kg sacks for 1000p soon after harvest.) It just need extra cleaning, and if you want to store it longer, you have to preboil it (=Cook it a while, but far from ready.)

Which region?

Concerning vegs:

(I talked to one from Bacolod two days ago.) If you ask one from your region, I suppouse he can tell you where you can get what you want.

Concerning meat:

The much more healthy BROWN rice can be bought from some farmers much cheaper than in market. (I don't have any fresh contact, but a few years ago I knew one in Butuan selling 40 kg sacks for 1000p soon after harvest.) It just need extra cleaning, and if you want to store it longer, you have to preboil it (=Cook it a while, but far from ready.)

Thanks. Going to farmers for, freshest meat and vegetables sounds like a good idea. Edited by tomaw
  • Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

In Mandaue by the twin bridges mall is a place called Belcris which sells meat products which are overseen by a German butcher I have used them many times and now they have a shop in Dumaguete also. You could check out online a place called Swiss deli who also deliver meat products subject to a minimum order. In Argao there 3 meat shops which I know about Apart from that I take my chance with the flies!

Vegetables are easy to scorce here as Mantalongon is just up the road.

Good suggestions. Thanks! :-)
  • Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Which region?

Concerning vegs:

Concerning meat:

Which region?

Concerning vegs:

Concerning meat:

Thanks. Going to farmers for, freshest meat and vegetables sounds like a good idea. We'll be in either Cebu City or one of the local provinces. We may buy in Compostela or Molboal.

• Like 1