Building Another House

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am not over there yet but i am thinking i would like to build my own house just for me and Ems on a nice lot with a view, mountain or sea view would be nice ,

It would be a single story and i am looking at putting a thatch roof on, am i just dreaming about the thatch is it more problems then its worth and i do know there is that many different designs in the tin roof now and they do look nice,

At this moment we dont have the land and like i said its all in my head plus a few little drawings too,

What is your thoughts on the thatch roof

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I like that you think out of the box Steve. What are the costs? Clearly a quality metal roof would withstand a storm unlike the thatch. Thatch would be cooler?  

What location have you guys considered?

On the beach or in the hills overlooking the sea?

We know a nice retired American with a large fenced home on the beach. He gets "visitors" from the water, often.

If ever we got a place I too would like a view of the sea. I think high up in the hills. Cooler cleaner air and a panorama view.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

My dream was to live somewhere in or around Bohol, but Ems thinks its not safe plus she does not know anyone there, there is a different excuse every time i talk about the area, i think its a i want to be close to the family thing,

On our last trip we went to the Laguna area and WOW, what a beautiful surprise awaited me, mountain views and lakes too, it did make me think there are too many beautiful places to see before you  say this is where i would like to be ,

The cost i have no idea,i am thinking on what i have just spent on the house in Marikina and what we got done for the cost, ok we did not have to buy the land ,

I have a budget to play around with and like i have said we still have a few more years here but it is nice to keep looking and dreaming sometimes too

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

I've heard northern Bohol may be dangerous, but the southern two thirds is very nice. Heard there are a lot of NPA on Panglao, but on Panglao NPA means "Nice People Around".

The member who calls himself fred has a good-sized house with a thatched roof. It works for him and his family. He doesn't check in here often. Maybe you should PM him.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yes Fred i am told does have a very nice house, maybe he will point me in the right direction over a beer or two

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

First of all you have to see if the area you are considering is free from typhoons. Thatch roofs are cheaper to replace. If you have never been to the Philippines you must not know about the insects, especially mosquitos. Do some research on Dengue Fever.

Malaria carrying mosquitos during the day, Dengue carrying mosquitos at night. ( maybe vice versa). 

If you think the Philippines is an island paradise like Hawaii or Tahiti, think again. 

I'm not trying to discourage you but please do some research before you invest. You will need to fix your home where it is comfortable. That means spending money. 

I had to do some home improvement on my wife's home. While it was ok for her, it was not ok for me. I had to expand it put up a wall with wrought iron all the way around it. I installed ceiling fans and A/C as soon as I moved in. I lived in an apartment until all the improvements were made. 

There is really not a helluva lot to do outdoors so a lot of your time will be in your home. Heat and humidity are day and night.  So, make it as comfortable as you can. 

GOOD LUCK and MABUHAY ( whatever that means )

Ynot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think everyone has a valid point, a thatch roof maybe nice but you need to replace them regularly.  In regard to where you want to live, by the sea or up in the hills with nice views that sounds ideal to me.  But my first concern is safety as in ..... is it near rebels and the second consideration is typhoons.  Are there certain areas of the Philippines where it is more protected than other areas.  If you don't mind a typhoon coming through one or two times a year its not a problem, but Im looking for place that is sheltered from typhoons, I've been told north of Cebu (staying on Cebu island) is relatively protected!  Is anyone else aware of areas that are not as impacted by typhoons? 

Talking about nice views there was a guy in youtube clip where I think it was titled my sexy wife and house .   not sure if that was the correct title and his house had bamboo flooring and some kind of marine ply for the walls and tin roof, but terrific views of the mountains and sea, his house was perched up high on a hill overlooking his wife's family home in the distance, but it looked like a great house, only draw back as far as I'm concerned, was that it was two levels, in my opinion you should keep steps to minimum.   Because the older you get, the less steps you want to climb.  Your wife maybe happy to have lots of steps, but that's because in the back of her mind she knows when you are older, you won't be able to catch her when she races up the stairs and you are in your wheelchair!!!

Edited by Ynot
  • Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I used to have that same dream, a house overlooking on a hill. I even found a cool design for a stilt house with a Nipa roof. The wife couldn't get past the Nipa roof. She kept saying it is like vacation home. I then said, that is retirement, a permanent vacation. 

I would keep your dreams and designs for now and truly explore once you get over here. Then when you find the perfect spot for the both of you then consider do you buy existing or build. 

It took my wife about a year before she appreciated Subic. It is more American than filipino in structures, space and quiet. None of usual noises; trikes, roosters, dogs, jeeps and videoke. Also the neighbors give each other space and are not intrusive.  When she finally got it, was after a visit to her hometown. She was ready to come back within 3 days. She said it was crowded, hot and always having brown outs. When she got back, she just relaxed in the front yard and said how she enjoyed the quiet here. I told her that it was not quiet but rather peace. Her eyes went wide and she quickly agreed. A great moment.

Back on topic, a Nipa roof will most likely need repair/replacement almost every year due to the termites alone. I put an insulated roof on my house (40'X30") last eyar and it cost me 100,000p with a 10 year material warranty. A metal roof will make your house hotter so plan accordingly. A good rafter ventilation system is key (a foreign concept for most Philippine builders).

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Can the metal roofs be spray foam insulated like we have done hear. Two inches of spray foam does wonders for cooling and sound absorption! I looked up two different companies in Cebu area that do spray foam insulation, price was just a little cheaper than hear in the states, but I believe the benefits are huge there in the Philippines. Also I would consider having spray foam shot into the hollow blocks of what ever room you might want to keep cool, like your bedroom. This keeps the heat at bay, keeps the air con from battling all the heat passing through the block and gives you some privacy by keeping bedroom voices in the bedroom. You would be surprised the difference this would make. 

RBM
Posted
Posted

We are more than halfway through building a house, have engineer as thought be pretty much trouble free.

My advice, find your lot, go home and return once your wife has finished with the construction.

• Like 1