Building Another House

Thomas
Posted
Posted
When i had my house built in canada i used Styrofoam forms that are filled with concrete, I wonder if they have such a thing here???
I haven't seen such myself in Phils  - I haven't looked :)  - but I have heared some talking about they used that technique in Phils, so I suppouse they found such.

Think of one important DIFFERENCE compared to Canada.

Sun LIGHT get IN through windows and transforms to HEAT waves, which can be stoped to get OUT, which we WANT in cold countries, but not in Phils. So in Phils we need to reduce the sun beams BEFORE they get in.  

i must apologise, my directional sense is not very good, happened to be looking at a map today and realised when I said North it should of been SOUTH of Cebu City. Does the change the thing about not being in a typhoon zone?? If its still in a typhoon zone then where in the Philippines is it safe from Typhoons??
It's less many in south, but not safe:

/One had the CENTER going more north, but were wide enough to damage boats at Panglao, Bohol, so I suppouse it made some damage a bit south of Cebu too.

/A big one went through Agusan del Sur  > CDO  > Dumaguete.

/And there have been weather, which Filipinos don't count as "typhon"  :)  but is hard enough to make rather serious damage anyway. E g flooding houses in Oslob at south part of Cebu island.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

"WHAT??  There are A LOT to do outside    :)    (Beside doing things you can do inside as using the computer or read a book, e g sailing, canoeing, walk checking the nature or just get to know the Filipinos in the neighbourhood...)

But I want a big house anyway to be in during rain/typhons."

That is not a lot to do. I'm very active indoors and outdoors. I play Bingo at the Malls, I play Dominoes and Rummy with locals. I have 3 different Monopoly games that I play with my stepson and his friends and my wife here at home. I interact socially with my neighbors. 

Outdoors, I go to Paradise Island often to spend the day when I get bored here and that's often. Otherwise it's too damn hot and humid to be active outdoors. 

I only open up my computer in the early morning or late at night. 

I enjoy sports on television and the NEWS. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Regarding thatched roofs, recently I was very impressed with one in a resto bar. Spoke to the owner about this and he explained every couple years he sprayed Valspar over the entire inside. This is a varnish, said totally eliminated the pieces of thatch that used to drop plus minimizes the dust. The visual effect was excellent. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

We are more than halfway through building a house, have engineer as thought be pretty much trouble free.

My advice, find your lot, go home and return once your wife has finished with the construction.

RBM. you have reported that before and  I am not going to refer to your project.

To Steve: leaving your wife in charge of any construction project while you are not here is not a good idea. It's not here about abusing the money, it's about interpretation or misinterpretation or a plan when you are not here.

Steve again: thatched roof is something I will be putting on when I extend the house, but not on the main house, like over on outdoor eating area combined with a place to park the car, something I have see  before.

Oh dear, this was said tongue in cheek, most members seemed to of picked up on this. How ever I know of quite a few expats whom have done exactly this.

Jack warned me some months ago, its a very stressful project and he was not joking. 

Steve if ever you want to PM me I would be happy to explain the mistakes I have made and what I have learned. How ever each and every project is unique. 

• Like 3