Building A House... First Estimate Missing Plumbing And Electrical?

Ynot
Posted
Posted

ok then if you are comfortable with it, so be it, now that you have explained all the family issues, sort of makes sense now.  Best of Luck, sounds like I will be retired 20 odd months before you depending of if there is a downturn in the economy!!!

chris49
Posted
Posted

"Ok.  I have decided to put a small house on my wife's uncles land. I will not own anything but she will have a place to live when I die."

STOP RIGHT THERE.

REPEAT...STOP RIGHT THERE

Wifes uncles land

Wifes uncles land

Wifes uncles land

I would almost bet that after you are gone (RIP by the way, sorry to hear of your passing) there will be fighting amongst the family over that house and your wife will end up out on the street.  NEVER build on land you don't own in this country.  For sure there will be aunts uncles sisters brothers nieces and nephews coming out of the jungle to claim what is "theirs"

Disagree. I m going to read the whole thread but initially disagree.

Sounds like a place to live while Tim is alive  and like me he's going to bring it in way under $10, 000 US..our CR and kitchen were separate but we are still at around 250k=$6000 US.  6x5m same as Tim. Plus room for expansion front and back.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Your house is going to be 15 x 21 and if you have a 1' overhang around then the roof would be 17 x 23 = 391 sq ft.

Plywood is 4 x 8 =32 sq ft.  So, 391 / 32 = 12.22 sheets plywood needed for the roof.  Where else will the plywood be used?

How about the foundation and the concrete and steel columns? We have 9 columns on a  6x5m room. Each column requires a plywood form otherwise how will you pour the cement?

stevewool
Posted
Posted

You are over there so you can see it all happening, take control of what you are wanting and you buy everything that the builder wants for that days works, try to be ahead by a few days with materials, that way there is no time just hanging about, agree a price for labour, and enjoy watching them build it, 

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
After I retire (in 4 years) I want to move closer to a nice beach, buy land in her name and build something bigger... but that is years away... 

Is it worth all the potential hassle to build something you will only live in for a few years? If it were me I would just continue to rent, especially since a similar size/quality rental  would only cost around 5k to 6k pesos/month to rent.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

After I retire (in 4 years) I want to move closer to a nice beach, buy land in her name and build something bigger... but that is years away... 

Is it worth all the potential hassle to build something you will only live in for a few years? If it were me I would just continue to rent, especially since a similar size/quality rental  would only cost around 5k to 6k pesos/month to rent.

Big on going debate here Earthdome, here and on another forum which Mogo and me still belong to.

I think 2 separate camps on this. Rent or buy and what about the land? Some of us have family land which is a big help. I admit that buying land has pitfalls , or what about a condo

Like Tim. I think he's around 55 and me 65, and in Tim's case lets say he lives past 70, or me, don't know but maybe longer, who knows,

We have a small place and we have the luxury of no rent to pay, so add that up over 10-15-20 years and you are looking at something substantial.

For me, we do live 3km from a beach, the rest is not important at all, you know, nice view maybe cooler air etc, but the more impotrtant factor here is actually getting apiece of unencumbered land, clean title etc...

Friend of mine insisted to live "on the beach" as he said. He got land but the undersoil was all sand, so they actually had to bring in 40 truck loads of rock to embed before laying the foundation.

For me I build. It's challenge and it's legacy I will leave other than only cash , and maybe if we are lucky, the kids will kick in their support to Mama, Gina , when Im gone.

Edited by chris49

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Big on going debate here Earthdome, here and on another forum which Mogo and me still belong to.

I think 2 separate camps on this. Rent or buy and what about the land? Some of us have family land which is a big help. I admit that buying land has pitfalls , or what about a condo

Like Tim. I think he's around 55 and me 65, and in Tim's case lets say he lives past 70, or me, don't know but maybe longer, who knows,

We have a small place and we have the luxury of no rent to pay, so add that up over 10-15-20 years and you are looking at something substantial.

For me, we do live 3km from a beach, the rest is not important at all, you know, nice view maybe cooler air etc, but the more impotrtant factor here is actually getting apiece of unencumbered land, clean title etc...

Friend of mine insisted to live "on the beach" as he said. He got land but the undersoil was all sand, so they actually had to bring in 40 truck loads of rock to embed before laying the foundation.

For me I build. It's challenge and it's legacy I will leave other than only cash , and maybe if we are lucky, the kids will kick in their support to Mama, Gina , when Im gone.

That is the old question of should I rent or should I buy/build a home of my own.

My reply was specific for Tim who stated this first home would only be used for at most 5 years until he has the funds to build a better home in a nicer location.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Is it true that homes deprecated in Fil, because most people spending 1-5 million would like it their way?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Is it true that homes deprecated in Fil, because most people spending 1-5 million would like it their way?

That depends.  If the house is in a very high demand area (say in a big city, close to the good schools, shopping, hospitals) with an affluent market, then it will not depreciate. 

• Like 2