Well Done, The Philippines! (For Accepting 3,000 Rohingya Refugees)

brock
Posted
Posted

This is wrong, The Philippines cant even care for its own people, I wish my Countries Government was more like the Australians.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
majority of ISIS, this is incorrect

Your right Brett, Once again my typing fingers were bigger than the truth lol :thumbsup:

3,000-4,000 being from from the West

3-4000 fighters is the equivalent to about 1 brigade (or 3 battalions) of soldiers, I think anybody will agree that's a whole lot of guys with guns running around :cheers: .

All that aside, the Rohingya people are not known for their radicalism any more than say the Turkish are.

Again you are right Brett but I would be willing to bet a Jollibee burger that 20-30 years ago when the UK, US and the other western countries let the parents of the current ISIS fighters in their countries they were not known for their radicalism either.

Like the old saying goes, Marry in haste, repent at leisure. :cheersty:

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3-4000 fighters is the equivalent to about 1 brigade (or 3 battalions) of soldiers, I think anybody will agree that's a whole lot of guys with guns running around  .

Yeah, still a helluva lotta people to be thrown in as cannon fodder, which is basically how they're being used.

Agree with your other points too  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

5,000 Filipinos are born every day. 3,000 Rohingyas are a drop in the ocean. 

In any case, the correct stand taken by the Philippines has shamed Malaysia and Indonesia into changing their policy, which is a "win" in anyones terms, surely?

As I said at the start of this thread, I do have Filipino Muslim friends; I cannot think of anyone less likely to kidnap me, behead me or plant a bomb. Yes they want independence and they follow the Scottish National Party with great interest, but they are very nice people. 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I agree with Methersgate, if one harms me or mine then I still agree.  Maybe my Hopalong complex  but it seems right.  Besides Obama said as a Catholic I wasn't a christian so no need to purge me

• Like 1

Midniterider
Posted
Posted (edited)

Methersgate is correct. There is little difference to my mind between the mix of refugees (3/4 of them drowning) in the Med and the ASEAN crisis. Some are desperate for political asylum, some are seeking economic freedom while some seek both. When economic freedom is denied why is that so belittled in comparison to other freedoms denied ? 

Taking a righteous stand in the field of human rights oftentimes appears to take moral courage and I too commend the Philippines for their steadfast and stalwart position which the other ASEAN countries are now mimicking. It's about time. The UNHCR of course berating them is having an effect since they all depend on tourist dollars and to avoid the spotlight on their other nefarious anti immigrant activities and human trafficking in the shadows. The CNN "Freedom Project" is helping to look in the nook and crannies of various neo slavery operations going on in the fishing industry for one. 

It's too bad some still fear the boogie man under the bed believing the mass media entertainment outlets like Faux News and other corporate owned entities of both left and right wing alleged orientation otherwise stirring the pot. 

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/05/21/pkg-amanpour-vietnam-migrants.cnn

& Never Forget:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/02/world/asia/philippines-jews-wwii/

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27373131

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007094

Edited by Midniterider
  • Like 1