Secure Gated Community Or The Burbs / Open Spaces

Ynot
Posted
Posted

I was just reading a few posts where people are building their houses, and that got me thinking about should you build in a secure gated community or rent in a gated community, or should you just live in the suburbs or open spaces with the rest of the population. 

I'm relatively new to the Philippines compared to my life experience with Thailand.  In Thailand I built a house in Buriram (no gated community) living amongst the population and have never felt threatened.  However, I have read stories about the Philippines that makes me think twice.  I must admit if I lived in a majoy cityin the Philippines I would  consider buying or renting in a gated community.  However, my gf wants to live in the hills, she is scared of a tsunami. 

I must admit the opportunity of living in the hills with a possibility of ocean views, and nice clean air sounds attractive. Living by the beach or near one can be over rated.  I have lived near a beach for some years and only visited it about 5 times in 6 years. I have recently moved back to a beach side suburb only 800 metres from the beach and have been to the beach maybe 3 times in the last 3 months.   Whereas a view from the hills I would take advantage off everyday with the fear of a tsunami and my gf would be happy which means I would be happy.

But the question who is living in a gated community and why did you move to  a gated community.  And for those people not living in a gated community why have you chosen not to live in one, is it money, or because of where you live, there is not one around otherwise you would move to a gated community.  Is it safe to live amongst the local population?  

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sister in law has just moved to a gated place, it looks crap to me, and there are signs every where saying what you cannot do or have, but guess what everywhere you look everyone has them all, but hey each to there own

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

I was just reading a few posts where people are building their houses, and that got me thinking about should you build in a secure gated community or rent in a gated community, or should you just live in the suburbs or open spaces with the rest of the population. 

I'm relatively new to the Philippines compared to my life experience with Thailand.  In Thailand I built a house in Buriram (no gated community) living amongst the population and have never felt threatened.  However, I have read stories about the Philippines that makes me think twice.  I must admit if I lived in a majoy cityin the Philippines I would  consider buying or renting in a gated community.  However, my gf wants to live in the hills, she is scared of a tsunami. 

I must admit the opportunity of living in the hills with a possibility of ocean views, and nice clean air sounds attractive. Living by the beach or near one can be over rated.  I have lived near a beach for some years and only visited it about 5 times in 6 years. I have recently moved back to a beach side suburb only 800 metres from the beach and have been to the beach maybe 3 times in the last 3 months.   Whereas a view from the hills I would take advantage off everyday with the fear of a tsunami and my gf would be happy which means I would be happy.

But the question who is living in a gated community and why did you move to  a gated community.  And for those people not living in a gated community why have you chosen not to live in one, is it money, or because of where you live, there is not one around otherwise you would move to a gated community.  Is it safe to live amongst the local population?  

Within Metro Manila or QC, based on 6 years experience, condo or mid level gated. And this is very common in QC.

Now if I was moving back to QC now and all factors considered, a condo in Eastwood.

In the province of course I will always select here in the north and I think I'm the only one living here permanently no

way I will live in a gated community, I prefer to be out in the community,

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

If you have a decent enough budget, you should check out the Subic Freeport. All of the housing areas are in the hills above the bay (30M elevation+) and are similar to a gated community (guards at the entrances). There are a couple of beaches a few miles away and it is very nice (stable electric, water, no trikes, jeeps, roosters, dogs, etc.). You can go out into Olongapo to mingle with the locals and retreat to your residence when you have had enough. Plenty of gas stations, grocery stores, a mall and restaurants. Hop on the SCTEX and you are at Clark in less than hour.

• Like 5