Live Like A King

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
live like a king on xxxxx amount

:tiphat: Good thing we don't have royalty. Good living is a nice place (rented or owned) good (safe) food and water. Good friends and a wife to share it with.  With these things I am comfortable, therefore happy, living like an ugly American capitalist.  :nudie:

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When I was still in the UK I had people telling me about south east asia and yes steve they had never even been here. I sent my GF who is now my wife 200pounds and he said you are mad. I said if she runs of with it it is a cheap lesson and my  other friend who has a Thai wife agreed. The money was for the first months rent on an apartment. I know people who have lots of money and live here and they are no happier than me on a modest income.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Most of us has heard someone saying you can live like a king on xxxxx amount while over there in Thailand ,

Well first thing first its not Thailand i tell them, its the Philippines  and no you cant live like a king on xxxx amount either,

Who started this living like a king on half a  crown  and i bet it was years and years ago, but why do the fools who has never been east or maybe dont even know where it is still think you can live this way,

Many people  who know me and knows i have a house there thinks its a mansion with what it has cost, and when you say yes its cheap compared to here but its not as cheap as you think,

In the end you try to avoid these people who only know where Europe starts and ends and Thailand is all Asia

You are right. You can live here as cheap as the locals if you live like they do. Meaning, you eat like they do, live in small shacks like they do, do the things that they do, and do without the little conveniences that  westerners are accustomed to.

BUT, and it's a big BUT, if you want to live like you did in  the states or UK, you have to pay. Little luxuries that you are accustomed to cost money. The entertainment you are accustomed to cost money. Imported groceries, branded clothing cost money. Nice housing, and utilities cost money. If you want to travel around the Philippines, that cost money as well.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

Most of us has heard someone saying you can live like a king on xxxxx amount while over there in Thailand ,

Well first thing first its not Thailand i tell them, its the Philippines  and no you cant live like a king on xxxx amount either,

Who started this living like a king on half a  crown  and i bet it was years and years ago, but why do the fools who has never been east or maybe dont even know where it is still think you can live this way,

Many people  who know me and knows i have a house there thinks its a mansion with what it has cost, and when you say yes its cheap compared to here but its not as cheap as you think,

In the end you try to avoid these people who only know where Europe starts and ends and Thailand is all Asia

I hired a maid in QC and at times we had 2 maids in the house, both family members. What seems like a life of luxury can end up being a pain in neck as you cover the needs of these "family members" and even if you think of firing them, that comes with strings attached too.

Here in the province we make sure we have good food, clothing, all children's needs with maybe a little indulgence. But our major outing is twice monthly grocery shopping with a visit to Maccas or similar also twice a month . Gina is in the market almost everyday but she only gets 500/day and sometimes we make it less.

Gina herself is up at 5 AM to sweep around the garden and do her housework, her mother or me can watch the kids, but with my injury it's more on mother in law. In this area because of low current I don't know of many people who have a washing machine. TV, cable, internet yes, but those are standard items these days.

This is quite a good life for me as a retiree but it's well below luxury. I had a bit more money earlier but it actually only added up to more outings, I was playing golf then, spent more but it wasn't living like a king.

I was lucky to have had a top managerial position in the Middle East earlier. In some ways it was a high standard, but there was a reality  check with that also. I got a nice package with schooling for the kids, but there came a time when 2 kids were in college at the same time. I paid for that and over 6 years I worked primarily for that.

We have plans for the future which we can't implement immediately. And children's education will come up again, private schooling but with some sacrifice.

I was once in a position to visit Starbucks once a day and up to 3 visits a day even treating the family, friends. That is laughable now, maybe once in 3 months and that's only if meeting a friend. McCafe does me and see above, twice a month if I am lucky.

"LIVE LIKE A KING" sure. We may have actually believed that earlier when we met Filipino's with nice houses, maids and a car. That is so rare and the reality is some much different,,,,here again in provincial areas unless you have an electrical pump and some additional plumbing, you are pumping water up from under ground nd more often than not you do the pumping.

Nice topic, I enjoyed my little rant.

• Like 5

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted (edited)

i seen this guy on youtube and thought i would share it with you all hes a brit and decided to move to the philippines and lives on a budget of around $575 usd a month in this video he breaks down his budget myself i couldnt live on that budget but it does go to show that you can live a comfortable life ( depending on yourself of course ) for very little money theres another video he has where he takes a tour of his house which his rent is 2500 pesos a month , i'll post that one as well , live like a king ? not really live a comfortable life

Edited by OldUgly&Cranky
  • Like 3