Philippines Is 21St Of 22 Asian Countries Internet Download Speed

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The Philippines has the second slowest average download speed among 22 Asian countries, according to a study on consumer Internet speeds as of May 2015.

In its household download index, Internet metrics provider Ookla found that the Philippines averaged a speed of just 3.64 megabytes per second (Mbps), which ranked 176th out of 202 countries worldwide.

Globally, the average broadband download speed is 23.3 Mbps, nearly eight times faster than the Philippines.

Only one Asian country, war-torn Afghanistan, had slower speeds compared to the Philippines.

1. Singapore: 122.43 Mbps
2. Hong Kong: 102.96 Mbps
3. Japan: 82.12 Mbps
4. South Korea: 59.77 Mbps
5. Macau: 50.66 Mbps
6. Taiwan: 50.59 Mbps
7. Thailand: 19.82 Mbps
8. Mongolia: 17.92 Mbps
9. Vietnam: 17.70 Mbps
10. Bangladesh: 9.86 Mbps
11. Cambodia: 9.04 Mbps
12. Nepal: 8.63 Mbps
13. Brunei: 7.99 Mbps
14. Bhutan: 7.82 Mbps
15. India: 7.04 Mbps
16. Malaysia: 7.03 Mbps
17. Laos: 6.92 Mbps
18. Indonesia: 6.68 Mbps
19. Myanmar: 6.54 Mbps
20. Pakistan: 4.00 Mbps
21. Philippines: 3.64 Mbps
22. Afghanistan: 2.52 Mbps

Ookla collated the data from speed tests on its website, gathering the results from April 18 to May 17.

Most expensive

Despite the slow download speeds, the Philippines also has some of the most expensive Internet connections in the world.

The study showed that Philippine Internet users spend $18.19 per Mbps, compared to an average of $5.21 per Mbps worldwide. This put the Philippines at 161st of 202 countries.

Last year, the Senate opened up a probe to look into the quality of Internet services in the country. --  

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I recently upgraded to 3mbps because I was having trouble staying connected. I still get disconnected but not as often. My monthly rate with PLDT went from 2763 Pesos monthly to 4123 Pesos monthly.

It is difficult for me because I like to play internet Scrabble and I play short timed games. Getting disconnected during a game causes me to lose the game sometimes. 

It's more fun in the Philippines, "they" say ,,,,,,,,,,  now what do "they" know?

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Well isn't that a good thing? They have a solid base to work from, there is only one way and that is up!!!

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I have heard it said (by a bloke off a cable ship) that one of the cables from the Philippines was cut and has not yet been repaired, so Internet capacity is down on what it should be.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Globe is part of an international consortium laying a fiber optic line across the pacific... I was kind of hoping they would be done by now...!

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Hmmm. There is at least one country missing from this list. I wonder why? With over 600 million internet users it must account for half or more of the netizens in Asia. Whenever I come to the Philippines it is a pleasure to use the internet (when I commented on this before it caused a surprised response from at least one member). My better half, who has just returned from her first trip to the RP with me, has just confirmed that this was her impression too.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Really depends entirely on ones location. In Cebu city my connection was always pathetic Tried sky and many others. Settled at last on the smart portable wi fi. When moved to Consolation it was almost useless except late or early am. How ever at Alaya heights, Busay it was incredibly fast. Always used to go there for the big up loads.

Now here in Negros, using globe broadband and extremely satisfied, occasional disconnections but rare. The speed is mostly pretty good and reliable, sure not a lot of users so guess this may be the reason.

• 3 years later...
Capa
Posted
Posted
On 5/20/2015 at 10:11 AM, Old55 said:

The Philippines has the second slowest average download speed among 22 Asian countries, according to a study on consumer Internet speeds as of May 2015.

In its household download index, Internet metrics provider Ookla found that the Philippines averaged a speed of just 3.64 megabytes per second (Mbps), which ranked 176th out of 202 countries worldwide.

Globally, the average broadband download speed is 23.3 Mbps, nearly eight times faster than the Philippines.

Only one Asian country, war-torn Afghanistan, had slower speeds compared to the Philippines.

1. Singapore: 122.43 Mbps
2. Hong Kong: 102.96 Mbps
3. Japan: 82.12 Mbps
4. South Korea: 59.77 Mbps
5. Macau: 50.66 Mbps
6. Taiwan: 50.59 Mbps
7. Thailand: 19.82 Mbps
8. Mongolia: 17.92 Mbps
9. Vietnam: 17.70 Mbps
10. Bangladesh: 9.86 Mbps
11. Cambodia: 9.04 Mbps
12. Nepal: 8.63 Mbps
13. Brunei: 7.99 Mbps
14. Bhutan: 7.82 Mbps
15. India: 7.04 Mbps
16. Malaysia: 7.03 Mbps
17. Laos: 6.92 Mbps
18. Indonesia: 6.68 Mbps
19. Myanmar: 6.54 Mbps
20. Pakistan: 4.00 Mbps
21. Philippines: 3.64 Mbps
22. Afghanistan: 2.52 Mbps

Ookla collated the data from speed tests on its website, gathering the results from April 18 to May 17.

Most expensive

Despite the slow download speeds, the Philippines also has some of the most expensive Internet connections in the world.

The study showed that Philippine Internet users spend $18.19 per Mbps, compared to an average of $5.21 per Mbps worldwide. This put the Philippines at 161st of 202 countries.

Last year, the Senate opened up a probe to look into the quality of Internet services in the country. --  

LOL Cambodia is nearly 3X as fast as the PI !

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Capa said:

LOL Cambodia is nearly 3X as fast as the PI !

Curious why you joined a Philippines forum if you dislike Philippines so much. 

• Love it 1
  • Haha 4