Career Relocation; Any Insight Welcome

Undecided
Posted
Posted

Hi all, 

I've spent a long time reading around this board, seems that you guys know your Philippines, So I decided to give it a go:

Recently I've been offered a job by global company that is a brand name in my home-country, relocating to the Philippines for a higher management position.

Professionally, this is the next step and the position for me, So I'll leave that aside. However, I would like to have your opinion, coming from your experience and consideration to my situation.

I'm in my late 20's (approaching 30), Single, surrounded by friends and family but have traveled a lot on business, for months to years at a time and quite like it. Mostly in Europe, but never in Asia (have visited though..)

The job is located in Makati and as I mentioned, is for a brand name company, higher management and comes with the following benefits:

1. Taxes in home country- Paid for.
  2. Full health insurance - Paid for.
  3. Living costs (Rent and household expenses in a nice condo complex, 2br) - Paid for.
  4. One week vacation per quarter wherever I choose in the area (Philippines or close countries) - Paid for.

Net salary is around 4,500USD.

Overall, sounds like a dream job for me to have at this point of life. But, as I know little to nothing about living in the Philippines I come to you seeking advice.

A little more about myself:

I'm pretty down to earth, not a picky eater or easy to disgust, can make do with almost everything, however I do like to know that my luxuries are in hand - Food, Social, etc.

How accessible are the luxuries that we are so used to? A good steak, nice wine (at home or restaurant), maybe a drink down the bar...?

Generally speaking how would a single man approaching his 30's, live in the Philippines on mentioned terms? 

I'd appreciate anything that comes up to mind,

Thanks

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all, 

I've spent a long time reading around this board, seems that you guys know your Philippines, So I decided to give it a go:

Recently I've been offered a job by global company that is a brand name in my home-country, relocating to the Philippines for a higher management position.

Professionally, this is the next step and the position for me, So I'll leave that aside. However, I would like to have your opinion, coming from your experience and consideration to my situation.

I'm in my late 20's (approaching 30), Single, surrounded by friends and family but have traveled a lot on business, for months to years at a time and quite like it. Mostly in Europe, but never in Asia (have visited though..)

The job is located in Makati and as I mentioned, is for a brand name company, higher management and comes with the following benefits:

1. Taxes in home country- Paid for.
  2. Full health insurance - Paid for.
  3. Living costs (Rent and household expenses in a nice condo complex, 2br) - Paid for.
  4. One week vacation per quarter wherever I choose in the area (Philippines or close countries) - Paid for.

Net salary is around 4,500USD.

Overall, sounds like a dream job for me to have at this point of life. But, as I know little to nothing about living in the Philippines I come to you seeking advice.

A little more about myself:

I'm pretty down to earth, not a picky eater or easy to disgust, can make do with almost everything, however I do like to know that my luxuries are in hand - Food, Social, etc.

How accessible are the luxuries that we are so used to? A good steak, nice wine (at home or restaurant), maybe a drink down the bar...?

Generally speaking how would a single man approaching his 30's, live in the Philippines on mentioned terms? 

I'd appreciate anything that comes up to mind,

Thanks

I can't help with alot of info, but, how do I sign up for your company? If I was you, I  would jump on a chance like that! With that kind of money you can "live like a king" however, I would open a savings account and put money away every month.

Just use common sense (folkvett) and if you find yourself in a situation where you feel uncomfortable/threatend, get out! (don't brag to people how much money you make and don't wear alot of "bling bling" and be nice to people. Also be patient and don't comment on how things are done there.) But thats my 0.05$ :)

Oh, and Makati is the rich part of Manila, plenty of expensive places to get rid of your money on. I like to eat fancy food, but I like a lot of filipino foods also.

If anybody feels that my advise is wrong, please comment.

Edited by HikiSpray

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Just my opinion - I would jump at the chance for a promotion that involves relocation to Makati.  Especially with rent and household expenses and other benefits paid for. 

Makati has nearly every imaginable luxury - food, shopping, restos and bars.  However, it is not anywhere near a beach.

You will not want for company - Makati is the financial hub of the country, and it should not be difficult at all to make friends with the better-heeled, educated Filipinos.  Most people will not believe this, but the most erudite conversations I have are when I am with Filipino friends in Makati.

And, as a bonus - if they already have money, they will have no designs on yours.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Undecided, if this is a reputable company and you will not be stranded here with out a job, sounds like you have the dream scenario. In my opinion with the salary and benefits  mentioned you will do fine. Just to keep it short if you are based in Makati I would say 99% of your requirements can be met in that area.  Having said that, a short trip might be advisable if possible

As to the above, you might arrive single, but I almost guarantee that you will leave married. You, my friend, will be a prime target for all the beautiful girls they have here :hystery:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

you have experience of asia, senior management position? hmmm maybe you're not ready for promotion if you need to ask. Seriously there is only ONE answer. GO FOR IT

• Like 2

calasiaobound
Posted
Posted

No brainer..give it a go. If you hate it...give notice and move back home..:)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

1.Taxes in home country- Paid for.

2.Full health insurance - Paid for.

4.One week vacation per quarter wherever I choose in the area (Philippines or close countries) - Paid for.

One thing I don't see is no 5 Work permit. (for me this needs Looking into.)

I seem to remember some time ago another member ( also New I might add) told us a fairly similar Scenario,

It came to it that the OP on that occasion was asking about visas.

If he needed to ask about Visas then, to us at that time it seemed strange so he got the same as I mention here.

You do need to double check on this, Some companies and Individuals can get into a grey Area on Working here.  

You do not say how quick all this is likely to happen but for me a little research is still needed.

Having said this, I would wish you well. 

JP :tiphat:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

$4,500 a month housing and household covered would be sweet. That area in is nice but is somewhat expensive.

I agree with Scott. You will fall in love and no longer be single by the time you return home to Sweden.  :-kiss:

• Like 2

Undecided
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for the quick replies. I'm replying via mobile phone so I'll keep it short for now.

First things first, there is a working visa taken care of by the company, I just neglected to mention that as it seemed so trivial (sorry...)

Not only this is a respectable company in my home country, I already have a few friends working there (different regions though) and some former clients of mine (former because they were tempted to work for this company, not because they moved to another service provider [emoji12] ).

Other than that, I've been flirting with this company for a year or so, I believe some of you know how head hunters are...

Having said that, I would feel very uncomfortable to just leave notice and go back home, let alone the impact it will have on my reputation and resume. That's why I want to do my best in understanding life over there and will give this position my very best effort if I take it.

OK, now for the fun stuff...

I might have came off like someone that is asking about meeting a girl, but not only.

I was going more for the social status, are there a lot of expats? Educated people (expats or local)? Travelling Europe I always had my colleagues at least, and other international friends I made over my stays to travel, talk and maybe grab a drink together. Is this the case in Philippines as well? Of course, if an opportunity to meet a nice girl would occur I wouldn't disqualify it as an option.

I would be opening a savings account for sure, and that is one main reason why I came to you, in order to understand exactly how much will I be able to save without having to downgrade on lifestyle.

I do not have management experience in Asia, although I have worked in parallel to managers in the Asia region.

I actually found it kind of amusing, I was "lent" a Philippine employee once and every time I asked for something it was "yes sir undecided, I understand sir undecided. Thank you sir undecided"

Well, wow.... that's some military grade compliance. Not sure if I'd like that on daily basis, I'm more of a... cant find the word, but I have a different managerial approach.

Have any if you got management experience in the Philippines? I'd be happy to hear.

By the way, someone mentioned not to be blingy and stay out of weird situation. I do know how to use my common sense, but is it that bad? I mean, will I be able to take public transportation to work wearing business clothes and "the meetings watch" ? (that's the watch that was too damn expensive even in EU terms...)

Relating to that, what are my chances that meeting the girl mentioned above would be just some con artist or just a regular girl looking for a sugar daddy?

P.s.

Wow, and I tried to keep it short since I'm on my phone. You guys are lucky, because I have plenty more where that came from ;)

jon1
Posted
Posted

That is a very generous compensation package. I would take it in a heartbeat. Makati can be as expensive as you want it to be. Here is a tool to give you some ideas on cost differences http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp Provided that you do not have any bills at home, you could easily bank half of your net pay without much effort. Electricity can cast 20,000p per month if you use your aircon all of the time. I would also get some kind of air filtration system as the smog there permeates everything. You will get soot coming in thru the aircon. 

If they need anybody else I am game!

• Like 1