Career Relocation; Any Insight Welcome

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
By the way, someone mentioned not to be blingy and stay out of weird situation. I do know how to use my common sense, but is it that bad? I mean, will I be able to take public transportation to work wearing business clothes and "the meetings watch" ? (that's the watch that was too damn expensive even in EU terms...) Relating to that, what are my chances that meeting the girl mentioned above would be just some con artist or just a regular girl looking for a sugar daddy?

Maybe not public transportation.  Might your compensation package include a vehicle and driver allowance? 

As for sorting out the girls - use your instincts.  Go for the girl you want, and not the one who wants you.  In Makati, you will be more likely to meet her friends before her family.  Are her friends as well-spoken, well-mannered, well-dressed as her? Are they reserved (not the same as shy) and not boisterous?  How are their table manners?  Who picks up the bill?

My wife's friends will not let me pick up a bill.  Unless she tells them in advance that it's our treat, they pay for our food and drinks when we arrange to meet.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

My only question is if the OP is still in Sweden???? If he is--------------WHAT THE HECK IS HIS PROBLEM????? :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :tiphat:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

if it seems like we are giving you a hard time UN de, it is only because we are jealous lolol :th_unfair:

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Am I the only person who considers USD4,500 per month, for a senior management position (even with the benefit package) to be absolute peanuts?

Ignoring that side of it for now I'd bite their hand off for the chance to live expenses paid in Asia, especially if young, free and single!

Well it problably isn't senior management as we commonly would call it. Senior management requires, well, seniority which isn't really the case with a late 20 guy. The package is what some people call "halfpat" positions where you don't have the full salary and benefits of real expats because you are relatively young, but you are still expected to perform and get paid significantly above the local level. 

Taking into account the full package he probably costs his company around 120k USD / year which is well short of the average quarter million for a "real" expat in the region but still a very good deal for someone his age. In short, take it, make the best of it and make sure they get you a nice apartment! 

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 1

Undecided
Posted
Posted

Senior management in my terms is "head of", reporting directly to the CEO.

In comparison to the salary I'd make in the same position at home, it's about average. The benefits package is what sweetens the deal.

On the other hand, at my age at home, it will take me a few more years to be considered for this level of position.

My edge here over the "older" competition is being young and free of commitment, rather than having to find a candidate who is married with children and is willing to relocate.

Any of you still think that I would be under paid? Now is the time...

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Any of you still think that I would be under paid? Now is the time...

No for me No with the package and costs here you will do fine and be paid a lot more than a Local Doing the same job.

Excuse the Pun but people here would kill for those Conditions and Salary.

My Wife is a Senior manager of a Negros Large Utility Company, after 18 years Service still only 25.000 peso per Month Gross.

Err Thats Like 462 Euros a month. This is  considered Good with No package at all, bar food vouchers and some Bonuses 3 times a Year.

You will be on a Winner.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

Most companies would pay a division head or country manager based on the P&L responsibility of the specific job. Also, many countries consider most or all of company paid housing and household expenses taxable as income. When you add the typical Scandinavian tax rates (my info may be outdated here though) I believe your total gross with that offer may be closer to $200k.

I work in a big traditional low tech US corporation, and I would estimate that your compensation level would be pretty comparable to a manager with about $100M of annual sales. I'm sure this would not apply to some sexy high tech companies with 100% operating profit margin and 200% annual sales growth potential.

If I was in your career stage (and single) especially if able to eliminate all big expenses in your home country, I would accept the offer in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
No driver, but taxis to and from work are considered refundable expenses.

Then a reliable taxi service for regular drop-offs and pick-ups might be possible to arrange when you're there?  Maybe someone who works for your prospective employer can suggest a taxi service.  Just thinking of added convenience and safety.

• Like 1

newyorkmind
Posted
Posted

Hi Undecided!

I learned a lot from your post, I think I'll post one for myself in the future. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, I'm from the states though and I'm looking at consultation work there. I'm also figuring out if I can actually save some money if I relocate for a year or so, I currently live here in New York and my monthly expense total is about $3500 a month, I make about $9,000 a month gross here. The job opening in Manila will pay about $8,000 gross and I take it my living expenses there will not be as high as here. On top of that, I really would like to see the Philippines too. If I can cut my living expenses in Manila to about $2,000 a month, that will be favorable to my plans. I'm looking at a Fort Bonifacio condo, I might buy a unit so I have a property there too. I need to do a lot of research but hope to follow your adventure as well.