Cable Tv In Phils

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Was just reading on the question of internet speed in Phils on the forum.

My question relates to cable tv speed. Here in Thailand there are 'boxes' you can purchase that will give you a

lot more tv channels, sports etc which is of great interest to me, as I am sick of watching

rubbish on current providers.

Plus I can get a lot more info from back home, all my sporting interests in particular.

But you need 15mps? speed (I think that is how you say it).

When we move to Phils will I be able to use this 'box' there, do any of you have a

similar item that you watch there with success?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you are coming here to watch TV you may be dissappointed.

I cut off my cable TV as I think its useless.  Instead I just download or stream anything I want to watch.  But I can tell you that SkyCable is one of the top cable TV providers if you want to look it up.  Other than that, Cignal or Dream satellite is popular or there are local cable providers in many cities.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I don't even have a TV... It's either streamed or I don't worry about it!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Web-TV is a big problem in big parts of Phils, because of the problem geting enough speed to look streaming.

(Not same, but perhaps an alternative:

There is a satelite stationed above Sri Lanka, which show some American channels too.

It can be reached from Thailand, but I don't know if it functions from Phils.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

When I lived in Thailand I had the Thai Expat TV package which I used with my 3BB internet. It requires 2mbs to stream without buffering. Thai Expat TV streams more or less the 'Freeview' UK channels which I found much better than the rubbish, and very expensive, TrueVision Thai package.

When I moved to Cagayan de Oro I brought my Thai Expat TV modem with me and hooked it up to a 2.5 mbps Parasat dedicated internet line. It was pretty useless, very often buffering and that line was also eye wateringly expensive at 6000 pesos per month.

I ditched Parasat and switched to a 5 mbps PLDT line and it works very well and is about half the price of Parasat. Still very expensive by Thai standards, but if you want (need) a fast internet connection it will cost an arm and a leg in Phils.

It very much seems also to depend on where you are in Phils as to what type of internet connection you are able to have installed. Large cities and expensive sub divisions seem better served than out lying areas. If you are out in the sticks I would say you are pretty much limited in your options in that respect.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thank you all.

newyorkmind
Posted
Posted

Any chance I can follow on cable NBA, NFL, MLB, US events live? If I'm in MNL

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I lived in Thailand I had the Thai Expat TV package which I used with my 3BB internet. It requires 2mbs to stream without buffering. Thai Expat TV streams more or less the 'Freeview' UK channels which I found much better than the rubbish, and very expensive, TrueVision Thai package.

When I moved to Cagayan de Oro I brought my Thai Expat TV modem with me and hooked it up to a 2.5 mbps Parasat dedicated internet line. It was pretty useless, very often buffering and that line was also eye wateringly expensive at 6000 pesos per month.

I ditched Parasat and switched to a 5 mbps PLDT line and it works very well and is about half the price of Parasat. Still very expensive by Thai standards, but if you want (need) a fast internet connection it will cost an arm and a leg in Phils.

It very much seems also to depend on where you are in Phils as to what type of internet connection you are able to have installed. Large cities and expensive sub divisions seem better served than out lying areas. If you are out in the sticks I would say you are pretty much limited in your options in that respect.

The

I agree with your opinion of True here in Thailand way over priced and under deliver. Dont know where you were

in Thailand, I am in Pattaya and there are some boxes going around with thousands of channels cost is about6000bht

but they need a reasonably high internet speed. Depends where you are in Pattaya if you can get that.

How have you found your move to Phils from Thailand? any feedback would be appreciated, if you prefer you can

send me a PM it would be appreciated.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I lived in Thailand I had the Thai Expat TV package which I used with my 3BB internet. It requires 2mbs to stream without buffering. Thai Expat TV streams more or less the 'Freeview' UK channels which I found much better than the rubbish, and very expensive, TrueVision Thai package.When I moved to Cagayan de Oro I brought my Thai Expat TV modem with me and hooked it up to a 2.5 mbps Parasat dedicated internet line. It was pretty useless, very often buffering and that line was also eye wateringly expensive at 6000 pesos per month.I ditched Parasat and switched to a 5 mbps PLDT line and it works very well and is about half the price of Parasat. Still very expensive by Thai standards, but if you want (need) a fast internet connection it will cost an arm and a leg in Phils.It very much seems also to depend on where you are in Phils as to what type of internet connection you are able to have installed. Large cities and expensive sub divisions seem better served than out lying areas. If you are out in the sticks I would say you are pretty much limited in your options in that respect.

TheI agree with your opinion of True here in Thailand way over priced and under deliver. Dont know where you werein Thailand, I am in Pattaya and there are some boxes going around with thousands of channels cost is about6000bhtbut they need a reasonably high internet speed. Depends where you are in Pattaya if you can get that.How have you found your move to Phils from Thailand? any feedback would be appreciated, if you prefer you cansend me a PM it would be appreciated.

I lived near to Pattaya for 8 years. Pattaya in particular, and Thailand in general serves the expat far better than Phils, even Makati or Global City in Manila and Cebu sadly fall short in my opinion. If it's purely facilities and infrastructure you are looking for I think you will be sadly disappointed. I think you would need some pressing personal reasons for making the move to Phils from Pattaya. Just my opinion though. PM sent.

Edited by Huggybearman

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Any chance I can follow on cable NBA, NFL, MLB, US events live? If I'm in MNL

Philippine CATV will have the NBA. Basketball is very popular in the Philippines. The Super Bowl was broadcast on the regular TV channel. I think you can get a few NFL or College Football games on CATV or Satellite. Haven't seen any MLB on TV.

• Like 3