Using Two Passports - Your Experiences?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've seen this mentioned a few times but I thought I would start a new topic.

My daughter now has her Philippines and U.S. Passports.  How should we present these, for instance, on a vacation trip from Philippines to U.S. and back?  What are the various advantages and disadvantages to using one or the other?  What should I be aware of?  Mom has PH passport with U.S. B1/B2 visa and dad is a U.S. citizen.

The U.S. Embassy included a note that we will need to get an ECC for her the first time she leaves the Philippines.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I've seen this mentioned a few times but I thought I would start a new topic.

My daughter now has her Philippines and U.S. Passports.  How should we present these, for instance, on a vacation trip from Philippines to U.S. and back?  What are the various advantages and disadvantages to using one or the other?  What should I be aware of?  Mom has PH passport with U.S. B1/B2 visa and dad is a U.S. citizen.

The U.S. Embassy included a note that we will need to get an ECC for her the first time she leaves the Philippines.

I suppouse

no Visa needed if she enter Phils with the Phils passport.

ECC isn't needed if staying less than 6 months, but if longer it's needed UNDEPENDING of if you use the Phil or US passport ((?))

Leave with same passport as you entered with.

• Like 2

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Hi my experince on this stuff is limited however I assume the process is the same for most countries, buy what I can share is that last year when I took my step son to thailand for a holiday, he used his Australian passport to exit Australia, used his Thai passport to enter Thailand, they looked for the last time he left Thailand as there was a declaration to be completed for when he returned to Thailand. that declaration was in his old Thai passport, they stamped his new Thai passport for entering the country and, so when we left, they stamped his Thai passport leaving the country and his showed his Aussie passport on returning to Australia.  Is that as clear as mud now?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Hi my experince on this stuff is limited

This what happened to us last week:

We took a trip to Guam. Wife left on her USA passport (to avoid paying exit tax at the airport, she was on a BB visa), she returned on her Philippine passport (no fees were asked for then either).

Now I do not know if she will be able to leave again on her US passport because technically she has not reentered as a US citizen. After our next trip I let you know :cheersty:

• Like 3

Chopper1050
Posted
Posted

Most countries require you to enter and leave on their passport if you have one.. as a dual nationality with a USA and a philippines passport, you would enter and leave the PI on the PI passport and enter and leave the USA on the USA passport. To enter other countries you can use which ever is more advantageous. Keeping in mind that with a USA passport, they think you need to follow their laws at all times. An example would be , even if you have a passport that would allow you to enter Cuba , technically the USA could charge you with a crime. As a USA citizen .

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies!  I'm starting to understand it.  I thought maybe there was some "rule" that said a trip had to be done on the same passport, but obviously not.

I remembered that someone else had mentioned that fees and taxes could be lower, like the scenario Scott described.

Most countries require you to enter and leave on their passport if you have one

I'm curious to find out more about this and how they would keep track of you have more than one passport.  I'll see if I can find anything on it as it applies to PH passports.

jon1
Posted
Posted

In the past I have observed filipinos with both passports and proffering the passport of country of exit/entry to the immigrations officer. I have also seen them presenting both passports at check in to prove their dual status (alleviating the follow on ticket rule). 

You might want to pay a quick visit to the BI in Olongapo to get a better explanation?

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted

The way they keep track is when you leave they look in the passport presented for the entry stamp.

• Like 1