Philippines Wants A "stronger Commitment" From The United States

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Typical news fluff, but the comments are very interesting to read. Some of the Filipino postings truly make me sad.

It's Veterans Day here in the States today, I don't think Philippines is worth the life of one American service member. I love the Philippines but.......

Philippines seeks stronger commitment from U.S. in South China Sea dispute
Reuters
9 hours ago

Filipino soldiers wave from the dilapidated Sierra Madre ship of the Philippine Navy as it is anchored near Ayungin shoal in the Spratly .
View gallery
Filipino soldiers wave from the dilapidated Sierra Madre ship of the Philippine Navy as it is anchored …

FORT SAN FELIPE, Philippines (Reuters) - The Philippines is seeking a "stronger commitment" from the United States to help its ally, the defense minister said on Monday, as China asserts its sovereignty over disputed areas of the South China Sea.

Related Stories

Aquino: Philippines to fly usual routes over disputed reefs Associated Press
Philippines to fly over disputed South China Sea: Aquino AFP
Philippines says important to uphold rights over South China Sea Reuters
Beijing says Philippines, U.S. 'exaggerate China threat' in sea dispute Reuters
U.S. says South China Sea reclamations stoke instability Reuters
China claims most of the South China Sea, through which $5 trillion in ship-borne trade passes every year, and the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei have overlapping claims.

China said on Monday it had lodged a complaint with the United States over a U.S. spy plane that flew over parts of the disputed South China Sea in a diplomatic row that has fueled tension between the world's two largest economies.

Philippine Defense Minister Voltaire Gazmin said he would meet U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Wednesday in Hawaii to ask for a stronger commitment.

"I will ask about the extent of the assistance they will give us, what they can do to help us because right now we are being oppressed," Gazmin told journalists at a naval base south of Manila.

"We feel concerned about what is happening in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). Freedom of navigation, freedom of flight is disrupted so that even U.S. aircraft flying at the international territory are challenged."

View galleryPhilippine Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin reviews …
Philippine Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin ® reviews the honor guards upon his arrival to lead t …
A senior military official told Reuters Gazmin would ask Washington to provide second-hand planes, ships and coastal radar systems.

Next week, Gazmin will join President Benigno Aquino on a three-day visit to Tokyo to discuss the rising tension in the South China Sea.

He said the two sides would also discuss the transfer of Japanese military equipment to the Philippines to boost maritime security.

(This story has been refiled to take quotation marks out of headline)

(Reporting by Manuel Mogato; Editing by Nick Macfie)

http://news.yahoo.com/philippines-seeks-stronger-commitment-u-south-china-sea-120456387.html

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

268 Comments on the Yahoo article Old55. Have read about 20, and will read a few more, not all 268.

One could argue that despite the pull out in 1992, the USA never left, because despite the total abandonment of Subic aand Clark, US aid did not stop. And the US has gradually moved back in, notably under the current Aquino admin. And it was President Noy Noy's mother Cory Aquino who lost the presidency while trying to retain the US bases, again 1991-92.

On September 13, 1991, the Philippine Senate rejected the ratification of this treaty, citing a number of reasons for the rejection. This was a devastating blow to the Aquinoadministration, who were strongly pro-treaty and even called for a referendum by the Filipino people; a move that was declared unconstitutional.

What was the topic, I think I forgot already?

OK, Philippines wants a stronger commitment from USA. That sounds like some kind of political double talk, the commitment is already strong enough.

And OLD55, you are a moderator here, correct? This looks like a political comment thread, the kind that is not allowed on similar forums. So give us a hint if the topic is for open discussion or not.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Like in so many things and it is aimed at the US but for me and If i was a US politician, I would ask, "What will you give us in return" This to me is the biggest problem with the Administrations here and certainly many of the monied people They all think it should be a one way Street, Take Take Take.

Sorry but that is how I see the PI some days.

JP :tiphat:

Morning all  :morning1:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

268 Comments on the Yahoo article Old55. Have read about 20, and will read a few more, not all 268.

One could argue that despite the pull out in 1992, the USA never left, because despite the total abandonment of Subic aand Clark, US aid did not stop. And the US has gradually moved back in, notably under the current Aquino admin. And it was President Noy Noy's mother Cory Aquino who lost the presidency while trying to retain the US bases, again 1991-92.

On September 13, 1991, the Philippine Senate rejected the ratification of this treaty, citing a number of reasons for the rejection. This was a devastating blow to the Aquinoadministration, who were strongly pro-treaty and even called for a referendum by the Filipino people; a move that was declared unconstitutional.

What was the topic, I think I forgot already?

OK, Philippines wants a stronger commitment from USA. That sounds like some kind of political double talk, the commitment is already strong enough.

And OLD55, you are a moderator here, correct? This looks like a political comment thread, the kind that is not allowed on similar forums. So give us a hint if the topic is for open discussion or not.

I am not a moderator Chris, a Forum Support is just that someone who assists in a very basic way. 

Yes, I agree with you Chris great points. I think the Philippines Government is very good at playing both sides against the middle. On the one side they seem to belay the Chinese while at the same time imply the US has an obligation to provide security and $$$$$$$$$$$$. Its always about the money. And keeping up the Filipino pride for the locals and having a bad guy (The USA) if they loose face.

I'm not calling you out Chris but I do have a few questions. What has anything I posted have to do with similar forums? We follow forum rules here not other places.

Are you asking if you can comment here? Yes, in fact I think sometimes you have very good content not only that many times we agree.

You suggest I have improperly posted content maybe the rules are unclear. Here is what the forum rules call out;

Topics

Topics on this forum are to be Philippine related; religious or political posts are not allowed unless they relate to the Philippines. Discussing sexual encounters is not permitted here either. The x rated joke section must be suitable for general viewing.

In General

This forum is for discussing the Philippines. It is expected that forum members will behave like mature adults and conduct themselves in that manner at all times. The atmosphere of the forum is relaxed and informal. If you have any problems, please contact a Forum Support Team Member or an Admin.

I think Jack summed it up perfectly.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 5

Samson28
Posted
Posted

Jack,

The US interests in supporting the Philippines are clear.

1) The Philippines is backed by a mutual defense treaty that I think both countries hope never has to be invoked.

2) The MDT notwithstanding, the US has a lot of interest in preventing China from extending their sphere of control into the South China Sea as they are attempting to do by building unsinkable aircraft carriers on their false islands. There's over $5 trillion in trade which passes through these lanes every year. We don't want China to even have the opportunity to make veiled threats of shutting those lanes down in the event the world or US makes a policy decision they disagree with. 

3) There's something to be said about ensuring global norms and rules are respected. Many analysts believe China was embolden to accelerating their reclamation process which ignores UNCLOS because Russia got away with seizing Crimea. Allowing nation-states to ignore these global norms and rules can create a domino effect.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

Carry on OLD55, no need for me to reply. Although I think you included some questions back to me.

Topic is interesting, let's continue.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

perhaps the country needs a STRONG LEADER  like POL POT  type to uplift the Philippine  pride.

the country had its chance on 1992 but they lack the fore sight /planning ahead, not for the next meal but for the next 5,10,20 years which is SORELY LACKING

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I agree with Bubba. The PI needs a strong leader. Not like the present one. I also agree with Scott. The US is not going to war over some rocks in the water. The Philippines had their chance to develop them but did not. They ASSumed the rocks would always be theirs. 

The Philippines probably should consider what is happening in Mindanao and the future of Mindanao if the BBL is approved.

If I am not mistaken Vice President Binay would prefer to come to a mutual agreement with China and share the rocks.

• Like 3