The Countdown Rut

chris49
Posted
Posted

Did you see something in the thread that indicates you could get a teaching job here?

My good friend is a retired teacher from Los Angeles.  When he took early retirement he was offered a position at an International School in Cebu at 50,000 pesos a year.  It was his intention to take that to supplement his early retirement income but he found that his $2,000 a month budget went far enough that there was no need to work and he did not have the time with all the fun things he found to do.

He and his wife are going swimming with us this afternoon and I'll tell him that its a good thing he did not want that teaching job as Chris said there was a 99 % chance he would not get it.  He gets a laugh out of stuff like that.

Poster said university lecturer.

International Private School, High School would be completely difference.

Mate my best friend and his wife own a private CMA, Certified Maths Academy for gifted Grade School kids in Dilliman QC. Although my mate's named was excluded by on the franchise ownership docs, he does help out with the teaching.

Since I am absolutely sure of my facts, I have to tell Bows00, that I'm sure of what I wrote. He will be confused now.

So Dave, I'm out now, go ahead and advise him. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Odd, I was completely sure we actually have a member here that is a full time Teacher in Cebu, or am I mistaken.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Since I am absolutely sure of my facts

Of that, your posts leave no doubt.  I often wish I was as sure of mine.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Odd, I was completely sure we actually have a member here that is a full time Teacher in Cebu, or am I mistaken.

Papa Carl is/has been where he live at Luzon.

--

I have no idea about other subjects, but at least not very long ago Phils were SHORT of English teachers with English as first language, e g with American, Australian or English accent to prepare Filipinos to work in different Call Centers. The Phil government even made a special project for it.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was able to check with a few sources this afternoon on the quoted subject.

They felt 99/1 against getting a college lecturer position was an accurate assessment. They thought more like 999/1 against unless a person was invited over to lecture a specialty.

High school teacher in a private international school they thought might be possible, they thought it depends on the owner of the school.

Edited by chris49

bows00
Posted
Posted

What if I work for free for 6 months? Work my butt off so they couldn't live without me... and eventually get a position on the staff...

I really got nothing to lose. Like I said, I won't need the money.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

What if I work for free for 6 months? Work my butt off so they couldn't live without me... and eventually get a position on the staff...

I really got nothing to lose. Like I said, I won't need the money.

I said that initially read back. But I like the private tuition angle better, maybe as a volunteer you could make those connections.

Check out Mapua, read back again.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

You can keep busy by planning the move and then work the plan.

There are many things you can do now to start getting ready.

You can start by having some garage sales to unload some of the stuff you don't need to keep, or selling things on e-bay or craigslist.

Sorting through your personal possessions and deciding what to do with them will take time. What do you take with you? What do you trash? What do you sell? What do you give away to family or friends? What do you keep in storage after you move?

• Like 1