Va - Fmp Future Changes In The Works

jon1
Posted
Posted

FYI, Health care changes are afoot. This is not concrete yet but this could be effective as early as Oct 1, 2015. I got this info from my local RAO today.

"During a teleconference this past Friday, we became aware of several changes which will affect a large portion of the veteran population here in the Philippines. Please as you read the following, keep in mind these changes are not coming from VA Manila, but rather the VA Administration in DC. VA Manila is trying hard to provide the best care and benefits that they are funded for. Many of you will be upset with what you are about to read but you should place the blame where it belongs. Mr. & Mrs. Congressman. The folks we elect to watch out for our interests in Washington.

The Changes;

Current plans call for the implementation of the Foreign Medical Plan (FMP) to replace the current VA Health Care system we are serviced by, effective 1 October 2015. Many are not familiar with this program but it has been being used throughout the world for years. Basically its a medical program for traveling veterans and those who like us live outside the U.S. Both programs require that you only be treated for service connected disabilities.

The basic differences between what we now have and the FMP are;

1. You can go to any provider you chose as long as they are not banned from the program by FMP

2. You must pay the treatment bill up front and request reimbursement from FMP.

3. If you can get the provider to file the forms and wait for the payment good on you, but if not you must file the forms and wait for your money. The FMP site advertises that the wait for reimbursement is 45 days. As with Tricare, you will receive a check. Being able to cash that could be a concern as the usual 25 day wait period may apply.

As there will be no available local assistance with filling out the forms, the RAO is self-educating it’s staff on the FMP and the claim forms and will provide assistance in these areas.

Please don't flood us with questions on this. Hold your questions as the terms of the program are still under discussion between FMP and VA and some parts of the program may change and make your questions un-needed.

We simply want to make you aware that things are going to change. Also we can make a few suggestions on how you can prepare for the changes.

1. Try to set aside a medical emergency fund in the event you need hospitalization.

2. Keep in mind that if you are TRICARE eligible, you may be able to use that as your medical care for your disability.

3. Set aside funds for a flight to Guam to get VA funded care for service connected disabilities.

4. Begin looking at other locally available health care programs like PhilHealth.

As we have mentioned before the travel reimbursement program which VA Manila has been paying kinda without authorization will also be ending

on Oct 1 2015."

If this pushes through, I would keep enough cash on hand to get by for double the processing time. I doubt that the FMP is ready for the inundation of claims that will occur as a result of this action. Now might be a good time to be writing letters to your Congressman and Representative of your viewpoints on this. Since the elections are upcoming, it might get their attention.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hmmmm, we currently use Tri Care standard, now this is just my personal experience at Asian Hospital, and I really don't see any change to the current Tri Care standard, just a name change. But then again I am not a service connected disability.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Sounds like another case of the common folk being screwed to pay for tax breaks for the wealthy.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Sounds like another case of the common folk being screwed to pay for tax breaks for the wealthy.

Sounds more like screwing those who served for the benefit of the of the masses on the dole.  That 1 Trillion  $$$$$ per year needs to come from somewhere!!

WTG big O