Biting The Hand That Feeds You.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Many of the "street child beggars" in Cebu City are handled by an organized syndicate who pay off the police. THe children sometimes swarm Foreigners picking pockets or snatching anything of value. I had a few going for my pockets once. I shouted "stop thief stop thief" they stopped and walked away. No fear what so ever.

Honestly I don't think anything good can come from interacting with those children. Many are brain damaged by sniffing glue. Any Foreigner "with" a child may find himself in very deep trouble. 

More;

My heart goes out to those children. They have no future at all. None. We know of a large Faith based outreach program in Manila that has a long history of truly helping street children. If someone wanted to help out that would be a good choice.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Ok, here is my 2 cents.

The kids that are mentioned are poor street kids. They learn how to survive any way that they can. People who are desperate respond in desperation.

This goes for adults as well. Many good people will resort to something they know is illegal to survive. 

I remember listening to some of my elders speak of the hard times many were having in the states way back in the 30s. Good people would resort to crime in order to feed their families. People would steal coal from their neighbors in order to keep warm during cold winters. 

The authorities in the Philippines know this. Why do you think there are so many security guards at the entrance to all the stores? Why so many security guards inside the grocery markets? 

Desperate people will steal any time there is a chance. So, do not let your guard down while in public or at home.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You have got to be kidding me! These kids need a big whooping.

How is that different from what I said (if you had quoted the rest of the story)

The kids mentioned in this thread seem to be acting alone and like kids that need a spanking or to be otherwise educated.
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sad story but so often true.

Yes.  Extra sad for the kids who DIDN'T do it.

Yes Thomas and mogo51 because of a few a lot will go without.

Out of curiosity I am wondering if the kids who have had regular feeding were told why the feeding has stopped. It could be that they might solve the problem of a couple of bad kids in the bunch themselves. I don't know how the feeding was done like if a group was fed at the same time each day but maybe a stern warning to all of them might be all that's needed and continue feeding. Possibly now things might get worse as the kids struggle to find food they might all resort to crime.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Sad story but so often true.

Yes.  Extra sad for the kids who DIDN'T do it.

Yes Thomas and mogo51 because of a few a lot will go without.

Out of curiosity I am wondering if the kids who have had regular feeding were told why the feeding has stopped. It could be that they might solve the problem of a couple of bad kids in the bunch themselves. I don't know how the feeding was done like if a group was fed at the same time each day but maybe a stern warning to all of them might be all that's needed and continue feeding. Possibly now things might get worse as the kids struggle to find food they might all resort to crime.

Yes they have been told why the feeding  has stopped.Maybe it will backfire, some still do get fed but not the ones involved.

• Like 4