How Much Bandwidth Do I Use?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I know I can download some software to measure how much bandwidth I use, but I thought I would ask here first, as I know that some of you probably have some experience with this.

I'm talking about home wired internet usage, not mobile phones.   How much bandwidth is used for basic web surfing, e-mail, etc?  Of course if you download movies, etc., that will use a big chunk.  Online games too, I read.  I'm only referring to basic internet usage without downloads, a very ballpark average, if you know one.

Why do I ask?  I will probably dump my terrible Globe DSL soon.  PLDT Fibr has a new 8 mbps plan, "Fibr Lite" that has a 50 gb limit per month, for p1899.  If you run out you can buy up to 3 packs of extra 10 GB for p299 each.

The 8 gb "UNLI" plan is p3500, quite a jump up, so I am wondering if we could get by with the "LITE" plan.  We use the internet a lot, but mostly just browsing.  My daughter does play a few online games, but most are offline.

Thoughts or guesses? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you have it, you will use it.  For what you describe then the 50GB limit is plenty but you will get used to watching youtube, streaming movies etc because you have the speed and bandwidth so you will use it.  I think its like budget.  You can get by on less but when you have more you definitely use it up.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I think its like budget.  You can get by on less but when you have more you definitely use it up.

Moral:  or the truth? The more you need the more you get, the more you get, the more you need. What goes round comes round  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
but you will get used to watching youtube, streaming movies etc because you have the speed and bandwidth so you will use it.

Yeah, I know.  It takes forever to watch a video now.  If they play normally, we would watch a lot more.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

With better bandwidth you will use more since you will be able to stream video without interruption.

Still the 8MBS plus 50GB plan sounds pretty sweet for the Philippines.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

With better bandwidth you will use more since you will be able to stream video without interruption.

Still the 8MBS plus 50GB plan sounds pretty sweet for the Philippines.

I think what I am going to do is start with the 50 gb plan and if needed I will upgrade to the unli plan.  I think they allow it.  If I use the 50 gb + 3 X 10 mb extra chunks, that would be 80 gb for p2700.  I think that would also be a good way to test out the reality of their 8 mbps speed.

The only "problem" is that I found out that there is installation, modem and deposit fees here in Subic.  If you look at the PLDT website that is all free, but here in Subic, SubicTel operates as a subsidiary of PLDT and does not offer that.

• 2 months later...
insite
Posted
Posted

Does the " Unlimited " plan at Ps 3500 actually mean unlimited or is one to be faced with a " Fair Use Clause " should one hit 150 GB or more.

I am looking at acquiring a UK TV subscription service which streams over a set top box - its a hungry beast chewing up 5 GB for say 6 hours viewing.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Does the " Unlimited " plan at Ps 3500 actually mean unlimited or is one to be faced with a " Fair Use Clause " 

Are you talking about PLDT DSL or some other ISP?  I use the PLDT 3 mbps unlimited plan at the moment.  So far there has been no cab and I download about 5 gig a day on average.  The speed slows in the evening as there are lots of others drawing on that same plan but it seldom drops below 1 mbps

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Does the " Unlimited " plan at Ps 3500 actually mean unlimited or is one to be faced with a " Fair Use Clause " 

Are you talking about PLDT DSL or some other ISP?  I use the PLDT 3 mbps unlimited plan at the moment.  So far there has been no cab and I download about 5 gig a day on average.  The speed slows in the evening as there are lots of others drawing on that same plan but it seldom drops below 1 mbps

With your 3 mbps plan does netflix or similar operate smoothly

insite
Posted
Posted

I am referring to On My Way's posting above.

What I had in mind is PLDT 3500 as this link http://pldthome.com/fibr

• Like 1