How Do You Talk To Your Girl When She Has Limited English ?

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

what do you do to get your girl to talk more when her english is limited ? i really care about my girl but sometimes i get bored when were talking coz its short messages ok hon or things like that !! i try to be as understanding as i can but it can get a little fustrating , it seems i always have to bring up a subject or topic for us to try and talk about ! it can be a bit challenging at times , my girl is shy about her english skills but i always reasure her that shes good at it and im proud of her !! have any of you had this same issue and if so how did you manage to overcome it , i know learning the launguage will help but since im not there i find it hard to do that we talked about me learning some when im there , but for the meantime we have to make due , any ideas you have would be great thanks all

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Keep an English/Tagalog dictionary handy.  My wife is pretty good but some times there are words you just need that are not used very often.

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
my girl is shy about her english
Many Filipinos can speak/write much more understandable English than they believe themselves... 

And I believe of it is a fear of "lose face".

Often it's a question of self asteem. most Filipinos are GOOD enough in English.

When I have got stucked in conversation with some Filipino, when they say they can't tell it in English, then I have said they can tell it in Tagalog/Cebuano. Then I try to figuere out what they mean with my very limited knowledge in these languages assisted by a bad translator, so it become more as solving ciphers  :)   After that I write back asking if they ment what I thought.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Most Filipinos are not fluent in English. Even the educated ones resort back to what they call Taglish. You see it on television, you even read it in newspapers. 

While watching the Corona Trial I was amused at how some senators would switch from English to Tagalog during their speech.

My wife is educated but what I find difficult to understand is her accent. She is Visayan and I have to ask her to repeat herself. At first, she thought I was hard of hearing until I confessed, it was her accent. I didn't want to tell her before for fear of hurting her feelings.

We have seperate television sets. She watches her programs and the news in Tagalog. I only watch English channels. 

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

what do you do to get your girl to talk more when her english is limited ? i really care about my girl but sometimes i get bored when were talking coz its short messages ok hon or things like that !! i try to be as understanding as i can but it can get a little fustrating , it seems i always have to bring up a subject or topic for us to try and talk about ! it can be a bit challenging at times , my girl is shy about her english skills but i always reasure her that shes good at it and im proud of her !! have any of you had this same issue and if so how did you manage to overcome it , i know learning the launguage will help but since im not there i find it hard to do that we talked about me learning some when im there , but for the meantime we have to make due , any ideas you have would be great thanks all

O-U-C :thumbsup:

When you are here, when you and her start spending 24 hours together, she will pick up very quickly. And you will pick up some Tagalog, but her progress will be quicker.

My wife is a typical Filipino HS grad., she had some good comprehension, but her speaking skills were lacking. Naturally she spoke her preferred Ilocano, Tagalog and English as her 3rd language. After 4 years together her English has picked up, but definitely I will still correct her now and then and she will adapt to the correction quickly. And vice versa I speak some Tagalog and a few limited words of Ilocano.

Mate, don't be too hard on the girl here, she will pick up. On the other hand if you get a college grad., pretty, fluent English, she might not be into online relationships, consider that also.

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

My ex wife of 17 years achieved a level at which she could make herself understood, and never really bothered much beyond that.

We were living outside the Philippines for most of that time.

• Like 4