How Do You Talk To Your Girl When She Has Limited English ?

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Grunt and point works too.

:thumbs-up-smile: 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Grunt and point works too.

:thumbs-up-smile: 

Damnit Gerald, you made me snort pure black coffee through my nose.  You're killing me man!  I'm gonna sue you for busting my rib cage.  Thanks mate, I needed some laughter in my life.

Respectfully -- Jake 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
BobP
Posted
Posted

what do you do to get your girl to talk more when her english is limited ? i really care about my girl but sometimes i get bored when were talking coz its short messages ok hon or things like that !! i try to be as understanding as i can but it can get a little fustrating , it seems i always have to bring up a subject or topic for us to try and talk about ! it can be a bit challenging at times , my girl is shy about her english skills but i always reasure her that shes good at it and im proud of her !! have any of you had this same issue and if so how did you manage to overcome it , i know learning the launguage will help but since im not there i find it hard to do that we talked about me learning some when im there , but for the meantime we have to make due , any ideas you have would be great thanks all

O-U-C :thumbsup:

I hear ya OUC.

I am currently married to a Latina who THINKS her English is good, but it is so-so.  BTW, I am unhappy in our marriage and considering div and move to Phil.  I must be a masochist because I have become enamored with a Filipina who seems to have limited English speaking skills, but writes English pretty well.  I never thought about the "saving face" problem which may occur when we finally meet, but can very definitely see how it may happen...often.  Plus, I feel like a 3rd wheel with my wife and her friends/family b/c they all speak Spanish.  I will definitely be the 3rd wheel if I move to Phil.  Why am I even considering a relationship with a beautiful, young, sexy Filipina?????  I think I am nuts.  LOL.  Sorry to get so long winded.

BobP

:cheersty:

• Like 2

BobP
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice all !!! im trying my best to have patience but its not easy at times and yes i dont want to be hard on her but i can honestly say its not that she cant speak it or understand it when shes upset she can get her point across pretty clearly i can tell you that much lol , maybe we have reached a point where we realize that we dont have much in common and dont know what to talk about other then how was your day ? hows the weather ? meaningful talking and real comnication is few and far between ! we can be online together and its 5 mins or so between messages then i check her face book page and shes commenting to her friends about her latest selfie these are the same friends she just finished talking the pictures with ! just seems to me that she would rather do that then have real talk ? ive tried every kind of way to get her to open up more and have said just talk to me like you do when your with your friends , and if you dont understand what i say let me know and i'll try and say it in a different way , nothing seems to be working !!! there is a large age difference between us but im not using that as a reason or an excuse , because i know many other couples that have this between them but dont have the same issue ! not really sure what else i can do but maybe not chatting to her every day give it a day or 2 in between so thats theres things to talk about then maybe that would work i dont know , but all i can do is wait and see thanks all take care

Thanks for the advice all !!! im trying my best to have patience but its not easy at times and yes i dont want to be hard on her but i can honestly say its not that she cant speak it or understand it when shes upset she can get her point across pretty clearly i can tell you that much lol , maybe we have reached a point where we realize that we dont have much in common and dont know what to talk about other then how was your day ? hows the weather ? meaningful talking and real comnication is few and far between ! we can be online together and its 5 mins or so between messages then i check her face book page and shes commenting to her friends about her latest selfie these are the same friends she just finished talking the pictures with ! just seems to me that she would rather do that then have real talk ? ive tried every kind of way to get her to open up more and have said just talk to me like you do when your with your friends , and if you dont understand what i say let me know and i'll try and say it in a different way , nothing seems to be working !!! there is a large age difference between us but im not using that as a reason or an excuse , because i know many other couples that have this between them but dont have the same issue ! not really sure what else i can do but maybe not chatting to her every day give it a day or 2 in between so thats theres things to talk about then maybe that would work i dont know , but all i can do is wait and see thanks all take care

OUC,

I hate to read of your communication issues, but your posts are really making me rethink my potential move and relationship with my online gf.  Even though most everyone says age is not the issue (I am almost 62 and she will be 22 in 2 days), I can't help but think it DOES enter the relationship.  I am not a big talker and I don't think my GF is either. I potentially see problems in the future. Unfortunately, I fell very hard (no pun guys...I refer to my big head and heart.  Well, maybe my little head fell a little also)  :hystery:  early on for this woman.  But, I need to look down the road at potential issues and your comments are opening my eyes.  She simply may not be the right woman for you.  Good luck to you in getting everything ironed out.

BobP

• Like 1

BobP
Posted
Posted

well as i say lone its more to it then just speaking it or even understanding it , shes seems to be more concerned with her proile updates and responding to her friends then chatting or spending quality time !! maybe it would be different if i was there but who knows ?? anyway were taking a break from each other and if she really wants me she will make the effort , im not chasing after anyone thanks for the advice all !!!

Good for you taking a different approach OUC.  I have never been "good with girls/women."  If I find someone I am attracted to, I tend to smother and praise them to death.  I am so "easy" for my current online gf.  I am there for her everyday and write to her on Yahoo M just about every day.  It has been about 6 months since we began communicating and I am trying to ease back and let her do some of the heavy lifting.  I will see what, if any, effects it has on our relationship.  I am doing this b/c she never writes to me on Y, yet she can read my messages just fine??? Enough of my bs.  Good luck to you OUC.

BobP

• Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

well its been 5 or 6 months since i posted this and we had been broken up since then and now she wants to get back together says she realizes her mistakes and will make more time for me , i on the other hand will take things slow not in a hurry with her because i know there are pleanty of fish in the sea , good luck to you bobp

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

I was advised by a Filipina friend (also a friend of hers) to let her chase me

The above quote was from Methersgate, our very own James Bond.  I don't know if I could do that.  I'm a type B, an introvert lacking self confidence and afraid to meet and greet any ladies, even the ones that initiate the encounter.  In other words, I'm a romantic fool, willing to sacrifice my wealth and self respect just to be with one fish?

That was over 30 years ago and now look at me.  I will worship every word that Methersgate puts out.  I like his style and I'm glad that our young Canadian bachelor OUC is following his advice as well.  The issue with communications was never an issue.  It was her hidden agenda or her non interest towards OUC that broke the ice.  

It's a good thing that OUC is a survivalist during a severe Canadian blizzard.  You survived the freezing water and got back up to enjoy the warm tropical sunset of the Philippines once again.

Keep on truckin' OUC, you're our only hope (Star Wars quote) -- don't disappoint your uncle Jake, OK?  

• Like 4

BobP
Posted
Posted

well its been 5 or 6 months since i posted this and we had been broken up since then and now she wants to get back together says she realizes her mistakes and will make more time for me , i on the other hand will take things slow not in a hurry with her because i know there are pleanty of fish in the sea , good luck to you bobp

Thank you OUC, but please and no offense intended....I have been hearing "there are plenty of fish in the sea" since high school.  I think I will commit suicide if I hear it again.  As Jake relates in another post, I want the ONE fish that I spot and hone in on it like a laser.  Wish I could be blase and cool and make women chase me, but I was in the wrong line when created.  LOL.

BobP

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I was advised by a Filipina friend (also a friend of hers) to let her chase me

In a sense and giving the benefit of the doubt to the lady by making her feel like she is your priority, the ball is in her court to make the man feel the same from her. OUC, It sounds like you had a lot of patience seeing initially that she treated you almost like a secondary distraction (be it language difference or just plain her priorities at the time). Hopefully things work out for you now-and this takes off even better than you expect!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
As Jake relates in another post, I want the ONE fish that I spot and hone in on it like a laser.  Wish I could be blase and cool and make women chase me, but I was in the wrong line when created

There is another way.  Sometimes the girl you want is playing Jake's game.  She is throwing bait to you so that you will chase her until she catches you.  But you have to hope that is what she is doing and keep chasing.  I have seen that work well, sometimes.

• Like 1