In Dumaguete? Please Watch For Stolen Motorcycle

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Anyone know what happens to stolen motorcycles?

I am told that 1 in 3 are just taken for transportation/joy ride/fun and may get recovered. Another 1 in 3 are moved to other towns where they seem to be either sold or just used by friends/relatives of the thief.  The rest are stripped and sold or serial numbers changed and re-registered.  This is just anecdotal accounts of what happens in Dumaguete and area.  I have been told that offering a reward may yield good results if my bike suffered one of the first 2 fates.  We shall see.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Hope you find your bike, and can maybe get some closure.     I read on another forum about a guy getting his bike stolen at the same resto recently.  Hopefully Duma doesn't suffer from it's popularity.     

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hope you find your bike, and can maybe get some closure.     I read on another forum about a guy getting his bike stolen at the same resto recently.  Hopefully Duma doesn't suffer from it's popularity.     

Often members use different names on different forums but I suspect its the same bike.  :)

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is how some lose their bike in 2 minutes.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
This is how some lose their bike in 2 minutes.
When I custom build my moped (=slow mototbike) when I were 15, I made some rewiring to make it harder for thieves.

/Hidden extra contact for front light to improve the risk the Police will take you for driving without light  :)  I suppouse not functioning in Phils.

/Extra contact to shut OFF tail light SEPARATLY during driving.  If want to drive AWAY from someone following you    :)

/Main against theft:  

a) When I left it SHORT while, so a thief didn't have long time to figuere it out, I just toughed a short-circuiting contact HIDDEN under the leader at the back of the seat. (A seat type where it didn't look odd to tough the back when go off the motorbike.)

b) And I had a steering lock, which looked UNLOCKED until turning left DURING drive, when it locked so couldn't drive straight before unlocking it with key.

Advantage: No lock is broken   :)

My moped was stolen once (just ment to take a sneak test drive ) when I left it to buy an icecream, but he only reached the trench a few meters away :hystery:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Bob Johnson-Perkins
Posted
Posted

Sorry you lost your bike and I have copied this on to my facebook expats group. But I must explain that security guards at restaurants are paid to protect the staff and the daily takings and to make sure nothing is taken out by staff. They have a customer role of checking for bombs and guns the later they do not do well I have to admit. They are not there to stop vehicles being stolen. Its up to you to secure your vehicle. So blaming the security guard is not totally fair, I can understand you may of thought he was there for vehicle security. I do hope someone spots your bike and you get it back. I wish you the best on that.   

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Bob Johnson-Perkins said:

Sorry you lost your bike and I have copied this on to my facebook expats group. But I must explain that security guards at restaurants are paid to protect the staff and the daily takings and to make sure nothing is taken out by staff.

Welcome to our friendly forum and thanks for the kind words.  Yes, I understand the role of security guards but a customer does tend to get a false sense of security when there is an armed guard in attendance.  There are a couple of places on the boulevard where there are no parking attendants and only armed guards who pretend to care about your vehicle until something happens and then they know nothing.  I am at a loss to understand why the owners of those businesses don't let parking attendants take care of the motorcycles there.  It is the bike owner that pays the pesos, I think.

And as an update, my motorcycle was never recovered and considering the time it has been missing I doubt it ever will be.

• Like 1

Bob Johnson-Perkins
Posted
Posted

Thanks, I normally watch my bike when I am on the Boulevard, but pay a twenty peso tip to the security guard that make sure he recognizes my bike and me next time I go there. This stealing bike thing as started again We have had episodes of this in the past. The police closed the last lot down 4 years ago or so. The last lot were working out from Baise and had a strip down shop in Dumaguete somewhere. They changed the license plates on the good new looking bike and drove them to Baise, to be processed to look legal, then they were sold on another island. I hope you got your registration documents still with your engine number. Plus made sure that went into the police blotter. As its the engine numbers that lead to the thief's at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Bob Johnson-Perkins
Posted
Posted
On 6/1/2015 at 5:16 AM, earthdome said:

Ouch. That hurts. Anyone know what happens to stolen motorcycles? Are they parted out? Sold in the remote province? Can they get registration?

Unfortunately yes if the got a LTO guy on the payroll. But the engine number when the bike goes for a smoke test may be seen as from a stolen bike. But normally they just strip the bikes for the parts. My thought are they will do that locally as thats normally the case.    

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Bob Johnson-Perkins said:

Unfortunately yes if the got a LTO guy on the payroll. But the engine number when the bike goes for a smoke test may be seenm a stolen bike. But normally they just strip the bikes for the parts. My thought are they will do that locally as thats normally the case.    

engine numbers are easily changed also.  They can be identified by forensic experts with the appropriate equipment, but in Phils, I doubt it.

• Like 2