When Was The Last Time.......... And.....

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Expats, when was the last time you heard..... "Hey Joe!" Is that gone out of fashion now?

What was the strangest thing shouted out to you there? 

In the late 90's my wife and I were in Manila a Filipino shouted from a Jeepney "Hey Joe Bring Her Back When Your Done" Although a rude thing to say it cracked us up. I shouted back "Too Late, I Married Her" Big laugh from all aboard the Jeepney.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

Expats, when was the last time you heard..... "Hey Joe!" Is that gone out of fashion now?

What was the strangest thing shouted out to you there? 

In the late 90's my wife and I were in Manila a Filipino shouted from a Jeepney "Hey Joe Bring Her Back When Your Done" Although a rude thing to say it cracked up up. I shouted back "Too Late, I Married Her" Big laugh from all aboard the Jeepney.

When on the bike, a few times over the course of 2-3 hours.  In any small town market, once-twice during the visit.

"Can I have your baby"  or "Will you marry me".....by a 15-16 yo girl was quite funny.

I liked this one, down at the beach directed to me by a college age girl...."I'm looking for someone to teach me how to swim"....I was tempted but no.

Religious zealots going door to door when I'm nice enough to listen to them for a few minutes, did asked me if they can

come back in a few days to follow up. So I asked her why????

She said "I'm in charge of recruiting the foreigners sir"....yeah right.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Daily:

"Hey Joe" from people usually 30 plus years

"Hey Man waz up" or other gansta words from 20 years old and below

"sur, give me money" from those 8 and below lolol

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

"can I have your PIN number' from a Thai in the bar!!!

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

My nephew standing there greeting me with a few of his school friends screaming "Hey Joe"

Had to read him the riot act to get him to call me "Uncle"

• Like 3

calasiaobound
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hear "hey Joe" by everyone every time I go out. The regulars that see me each day just call me Joe as tho its my name. Joe where you going. Joe can I have a CIG. Etc

A lady in the market asked me how big my penis was. Three Filipinos drinking red horse one night told me.." wow you're so tall..I bet your penis is long"..

Not kidding.

I be been introduced to two supposed virgin girls on separate occasions from two different ppl that have chatted me up on the reg..

But theres been other crazy things like that that have happened..just cant think of them right now

Edited by calasiaobound
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Recently, when walking the boulevard, there are a few filipino guys who make lewd comments about my tiny gf's ability to handle such a 'big' man.  Now I retaliate.  As we walk by I look at my  little finger and remark to my gf how some guys are only that small and I have sympathy for them.  I don't look at the guys but they shut up.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I've never had anything shouted at me from anyone. I'm usually the first to speak when  riding a jeepney. I'll say "hello kumsta"  and usually, I will get a smile sometimes a small conversation with a lot of personal questions. 

The same when at the mall. I'll be the first to start a conversation with a stranger at a coffee shop or Mc Donalds. I enjoy talking with strangers. I'm very opinionated as you may have noticed but I try to be careful and not offend a stranger in conversation. I'll listen to their complaints about the Philippines and their president but I'm careful about what I complain about. If it's sports, then I really express my opinion but not about politics or their country. I keep my complaints to this website ( smile ).

Many have friends or relatives in the states and they enjoy telling me. We exchange talk about our immediate family. 

Actually, most Filipinos I've encountered are very courteous and often shy. Maybe because they are limited in their English conversation skills. That happens to be the case with my wife's family. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. I'll say "hello kumsta"  and usually, I will get a smile sometimes a small conversation with a lot of personal questions. 

I do similar things.  There is one thing that bothers me.  I noticed it myself and my gf confirms it from a native speaker's point of view. . . . .   a half dozen years or more ago, a man like myself could speak to the locals and get a friendly reply back. Now, I still speak to the locals and get a friendly 'sounding' reply back but there seems to be more 'insult' in the words and tone.  Not a big deal, just seems like bitterness is replacing sweetness.

My gf says she sees the same thing from a local perspective.  She says when she was a kid there were few foreigners and they were greeted warmly by kids and other locals.  Now there are a LOT of foreigners and the shouts are usually meant to be insulting.  As the numbers of foreigners increases I would expect that jeering to increase.  Its a shame, but it happens anywhere the numbers of immigrants become threatening to the local population.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

. I'll say "hello kumsta"  and usually, I will get a smile sometimes a small conversation with a lot of personal questions. 

I do similar things.  There is one thing that bothers me.  I noticed it myself and my gf confirms it from a native speaker's point of view. . . . .   a half dozen years or more ago, a man like myself could speak to the locals and get a friendly reply back. Now, I still speak to the locals and get a friendly 'sounding' reply back but there seems to be more 'insult' in the words and tone.  Not a big deal, just seems like bitterness is replacing sweetness.

My gf says she sees the same thing from a local perspective.  She says when she was a kid there were few foreigners and they were greeted warmly by kids and other locals.  Now there are a LOT of foreigners and the shouts are usually meant to be insulting.  As the numbers of foreigners increases I would expect that jeering to increase.  Its a shame, but it happens anywhere the numbers of immigrants become threatening to the local population.

Yes. I believe that's a main factor. Not only the numbers, but how they act.