When Was The Last Time.......... And.....

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Had to read him the riot act to get him to call me "Uncle"

Way to go

Tio Joe

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I noticed it myself and my gf confirms it from a native speaker's point of view. . . . . a half dozen years or more ago, a man like myself could speak to the locals and get a friendly reply back. Now, I still speak to the locals and get a friendly 'sounding' reply back but there seems to be more 'insult' in the words and tone. Not a big deal, just seems like bitterness is replacing sweetness. My gf says she sees the same thing from a local perspective. She says when she was a kid there were few foreigners and they were greeted warmly by kids and other locals. Now there are a LOT of foreigners and the shouts are usually meant to be insulting. As the numbers of foreigners increases I would expect that jeering to increase. Its a shame, but it happens anywhere the numbers of immigrants become threatening to the local population.

I agree that it's a shame that it becomes that way over time.

But still not the case in Marinduque where the expat number is increasing, but still low.

I haven't been called "Joe", which is a good thing.  My wife would probably start calling me Joe just to confuse everyone (myself included).