How Could An Expat Ever Be Bored Living In Da Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Living in Philippines has some distinct advantages. What I mean is, that one can do more or less whatever you want. If you consider there are educated and skilled Filipino craftsmen who could help out on a project there are few limits to what could be done. 
Has anyone truly stepped out of the box and done a fun interesting project?

post-1-0-63340100-1433039862_thumb.jpg

radial12_zps3a66beeb.jpg

Dave needs a new ride.

• Like 2

newyorkmind
Posted
Posted

Totally agree, one of the reason why I want to move in even for a short period even before retirement. i have so many interest in the field of the arts/media, cars, winery and real estate design. There is no way I'll be able to afford the graphics designers, mechanics, construction workers here in New York. I'm somehow able to pursue these things remotely, get skilled help, but it's so different if I'm there face to face.

So far I did a few multi media projects, construction work/design through the skilled help there. Sky is the limit indeed.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Men and their toys!!! May the fule flow freely through the veins.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

How could one NOT be bored? 

While I can always find something to do, I do not always enjoy it as much as I would back home.

You will not enjoy riding your motor sickle as much in the PI as you would down a stretch of Interstate 1 along the California coastline from Sandy Eggo to the Bay Area. 

Or through the snow covere Rocky Mountains, or through the  Arizona Desert thru Sedona, and up to the Grand Canyon overlooking the Colorado River a mile high.

Just 1 of many things you would enjoy more elsewhere. 

Oh, and you're not gonna ride that moto cy in any traffic of the Philippines like the guy did in the Bourne Movie filmed in Manila.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I am never bored here.  It is because boredom is a contagious condition that is contracted by listening to or hanging out with bored, negative people.  I can try to cheer up the bored, negative people, but only for a little while.  If it does not work I have to distance myself quickly before I catch their condition.

Hi Dave,

I never said I was depressed.

Just bored doing the same things every day in and day out. The Philippines is far from what I am used to but I manage.  I do not lead a sedentary life. I'm an active person and I miss all that. Extreme heat and humidity slows me down. I do not like being indoors. 

You did manage to crack me up. Thanks

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I cant wait to try to get bored

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

This has got me thinking, i am just your average chap i think, i can put my hands to many things but it wont look great but at least i had a go, i dont get bored at  home waiting for the wife to come home but i do get lazy in my own eyes,

Being bored and lazy could be the same, i dont mind sitting and watching the world go by for a few hours now and again , some people may say thats being lazy or even boring, but for me its interesting, 

Maybe you cant do this every day but its good to sit and do nothing,

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I am never bored here.

Exactly. 

I'm never bored either, except ONE day when I were 10 years old and missed a part until I could buy it the next day,

and when I have to fill tax forms. Now I'm here in this forum instead of making the rather soon need to be ready tax forms   :mocking:

bored doing the same things every day in and day out.
Why do you do SAME things every day then???  :lol:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have not gotten bored (yet anyway) in the 2.5 years since retiring here, that might change in a few years, who knows. I would be happier if the wife was a bit more adventurous and that she would like to drive around the island and explore more, but after 20 plus years of marriage, we know who calls the shots.

My one real regret is the lack of organized athletics. I was very active before retiring and played racquetball daily. Here it seems that once a man turns 30 he starts working on his beer gut lolol. Would love to join a senior basketball league but so far have seen none. To hot to play tennis, and I suck at golf (and its expensive lol). Cycling would be tantamount to suicide IMHO :rolleyes:. (if the wife would let me anyway :angry: ). 

So my daily routine to work up a sweat is to walk hard. about 5 k a day at a very fast pace. I have heard that I have picked up the nickname of "the crazy walking Kano" around the area.

Edited by scott h
  • Like 5