What Have You Noticed

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am not a permanent resident but will be in a couple of years when my gf wants to stop teaching. On a

recent 3 week visit looking at prospective retirement locations (which we did not find) in Nth Luzon, I

would say that traffic congestion and overcrowding at the two main issues. From my readings on this and

other forums, I would say that is the primary problem now presenting itself.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

I am not a permanent resident but will be in a couple of years when my gf wants to stop teaching. On arecent 3 week visit looking at prospective retirement locations (which we did not find) in Nth Luzon, Iwould say that traffic congestion and overcrowding at the two main issues. From my readings on this andother forums, I would say that is the primary problem now presenting itself.

Yes very wise to think carefully before making roots.

My partner and I spent some years before deciding where to live here. We did have the advantage of seeing a good deal of the country and living some time in various locations. It's not an easy decision and everyone's situation differs.

For us we looked firstly at the typhoon belt this being number one. Also coming into the equation was proximity to a city that could provide some western necessities. Over crowding, pollution, traffic, crime, access to ports and planes and on and on.

Definitely worth spending time on this as its perhaps the most important decision one has to make.

• Like 3

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Well written and Interesting KenzoFujisaki, Keep writing, your good at it!  You have a natural flair that kept my attention. This is a great forum and people like you make it that way. Thanks to all my forum comrades who have contributed to this forum in some fashion. I enjoy all the different personalities that blend to make my day and choices about living in the Philippines an Interesting endeavor. There is a full spectrum of life experiences, social, emotional and environmental life experiences you only get from living. 

• Like 4

Ynot
Posted
Posted

I'm jealous I can not contribute as i am not living there yet!  Another 2 years then I can post on what I have noted

• Like 2

KenzoFujisaki
Posted
Posted

Well written and Interesting KenzoFujisaki, Keep writing, your good at it!  You have a natural flair that kept my attention. This is a great forum and people like you make it that way. Thanks to all my forum comrades who have contributed to this forum in some fashion. I enjoy all the different personalities that blend to make my day and choices about living in the Philippines an Interesting endeavor. There is a full spectrum of life experiences, social, emotional and environmental life experiences you only get from living. 

Thanks @WordandMusic! Yes its definitely a very helpful forum full of great people, I've already learned so much from the members here and it's been half a day. So good for stevewool and others who come here to do the research first from people who have lived it. Wish I had done the same, could have saved some money! haha.. but no regrets ever..

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

Kenzo, 

You should check out the Subic Freeport. Air is fresh, Internet is decent (you can get Fiber from PLDT now), good power, good water and close to western living standards. I rarely have an internet outage that you are so dependent on. 

Living here is like small town USA type activity with tourist traffic during the holidays and peak season. Other than that it is relaxing, quiet and the place for me.

:cheersty:

Jon

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Words and Music,

Kudos to you and others for articulating vital insights about living here in PI.  The original question from Steve was -- has it gotten any better or worse?  If I remember correctly, Steve encountered some very serious problems dealing with the extended family.  I believe no matter where you may want to settle down, it is the wife or GF and her family that must be factored in.  I mean, what is your state of mind when you get up each and every morning?  Are you still pissed off from the previous night(s)?  Or more importantly, is your wife/GF ready to swing a bolo at you?  From living the bare minimums from a fixed income to luxurious western lifestyle, what good is that if relationships are falling apart.  

There are the tangibles of watching or smelling your community degrade over the months and years.  Population is over 100 million now and still out of control. Outside your peaceful compound, you will see abject poverty everywhere.  Will it get any better?  Not in my lifetime........

Am I painting a doom and gloom scenario?  Perhaps as a pessimistic realist.  But on the other hand, I am a foolish/hopeless romantic who can easily fall to my knees, asking for forgiveness and a warm smile or embrace.  Perhaps that is my saving grace over the years, no matter where I live.  

With my companion by my side......watching the sunset as well as the sunrise.  Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

jake hows the sailing missed you , glad to see you again

• Like 1

KenzoFujisaki
Posted
Posted

Kenzo, 

You should check out the Subic Freeport. Air is fresh, Internet is decent (you can get Fiber from PLDT now), good power, good water and close to western living standards. I rarely have an internet outage that you are so dependent on. 

Living here is like small town USA type activity with tourist traffic during the holidays and peak season. Other than that it is relaxing, quiet and the place for me.

:cheersty:

Jon

Thanks Jon, my wife has mentioned Subic to me before and says we have to visit before making any final decisions. She feels we could be happy there. Fresh air is very important to me, so I'm definitely in to check it out.

Even for the time we are planning to live in Canada we are targeting small towns rather than city life, so Subic seems perfect for our lifestyle.

I read some of the posts on your site. A lot of advice I wish I had read when I was first arriving here and also some great advice I will use in the future, especially about the 'leasehold rights'. Thank you for getting in touch!

• Like 1