What Have You Noticed

jon1
Posted
Posted

Kenzo, 

You should check out the Subic Freeport. Air is fresh, Internet is decent (you can get Fiber from PLDT now), good power, good water and close to western living standards. I rarely have an internet outage that you are so dependent on. 

Living here is like small town USA type activity with tourist traffic during the holidays and peak season. Other than that it is relaxing, quiet and the place for me.

:cheersty:

Jon

Thanks Jon, my wife has mentioned Subic to me before and says we have to visit before making any final decisions. She feels we could be happy there. Fresh air is very important to me, so I'm definitely in to check it out.

Even for the time we are planning to live in Canada we are targeting small towns rather than city life, so Subic seems perfect for our lifestyle.

I read some of the posts on your site. A lot of advice I wish I had read when I was first arriving here and also some great advice I will use in the future, especially about the 'leasehold rights'. Thank you for getting in touch!

I forgot to mention that it has a lot of outdoor stuff to do; golf, tennis, swimming pools, a track. I am seeing a lot more people here training for triathalons (bicycling, running, swimming) and a new Crossfit Gym has opened up here in the Central Business District. It seems to be doing well with membership (at least 100) so I think it will be successful. There are plenty of wrecks to dive on in the Bay and you can get certified at Camayan Beach Resort, Johan's Dive Resort, Blue Rock Hotel or Arizona Hotel. The last three places are in Baloy Beach just past Barrio Barretto. 

If you come up, get in touch with Merle at ALAP-LAROA realty. I used her for my rental unit and she has her ducks in a row. You can find her page on Facebook. She will not lead you astray. You also might want to go by the SBMA Land & Asset office. They usually have a listing of houses for sale or rent.

• Like 2

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted (edited)
The bad is the traffic has gotten horrid. I guess they should not have built the city on a small peninsula - nowhere to expand (Iloilo)

I know what you mean, traffics really bad here in Lapu Lapu City (kinda glad I don't have a motorbike or car), but kinda bummed out because I don't have one because it cuts off a lot of scenery for me. I'm more or less used to hopping on a motorbike or in a friend's jeep and taking off for the mountains around Roseburg, Or. or up to Diamond Lake. As I understand it, there are lots of places like the ones that I used to love visiting in the states just have to find a way there. So, are things better or worse? I've been in Cebu for about 2 years now and I must say that I like it a lot here, the people are friendly the food ain't so bad just wish there were more healthier choices, now if I could only get away from the exhaust fumes of tricycles and big rigs I think it would be even better.

Edited by Daydreamer
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Kenzo, 

You should check out the Subic Freeport. Air is fresh, Internet is decent (you can get Fiber from PLDT now), good power, good water and close to western living standards. I rarely have an internet outage that you are so dependent on. 

Living here is like small town USA type activity with tourist traffic during the holidays and peak season. Other than that it is relaxing, quiet and the place for me.

:cheersty:

Jon

Thanks Jon, my wife has mentioned Subic to me before and says we have to visit before making any final decisions. She feels we could be happy there. Fresh air is very important to me, so I'm definitely in to check it out.

Even for the time we are planning to live in Canada we are targeting small towns rather than city life, so Subic seems perfect for our lifestyle.

I read some of the posts on your site. A lot of advice I wish I had read when I was first arriving here and also some great advice I will use in the future, especially about the 'leasehold rights'. Thank you for getting in touch!

I forgot to mention that it has a lot of outdoor stuff to do; golf, tennis, swimming pools, a track. I am seeing a lot more people here training for triathalons (bicycling, running, swimming) and a new Crossfit Gym has opened up here in the Central Business District. It seems to be doing well with membership (at least 100) so I think it will be successful. There are plenty of wrecks to dive on in the Bay and you can get certified at Camayan Beach Resort, Johan's Dive Resort, Blue Rock Hotel or Arizona Hotel. The last three places are in Baloy Beach just past Barrio Barretto. 

If you come up, get in touch with Merle at ALAP-LAROA realty. I used her for my rental unit and she has her ducks in a row. You can find her page on Facebook. She will not lead you astray. You also might want to go by the SBMA Land & Asset office. They usually have a listing of houses for sale or rent.

Subic Freeport was my old stomping grounds during my early teens (mid 1960's) when it was called Subic Bay Naval Base.  I was pleasantly surprised how much has changed, even though the US Navy was finally kicked out.  Google Earth shows many new developments for housing, shopping and outdoor activities.  

I have already ask OMW to set up my dog house in his backyard and my favorite Gunnery Sergeant (Jon) is kind enough to accommodate me with a two bedroom dog house.  I have already packed my bags......please provide cold San Magoos upon arrival (I'm serious guys).  

Former coin diver extraordinaire -- Jake

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted
......please provide cold San Magoos upon arrival (I'm serious guys).  

Sorry Jake, no San Magoos in my household. Only home brewed Ales, Porters and Stouts. :) :cheersty:

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Been trying quote post of daydreamer how ever with this tablet in able to.

For me if I was still based in Cebu my quality of life would be considerably worse. Based mainly on comments of daydreamer, plus pollution now is bad. For others Cebu is an excellent choice, malls Restos and other facilities which are unavailable in smaller cities. Each to their own.

Without question some of my favorite times were riding the many mountain dirt tracks in Busay, close to Cebu city. Some of the views and variety of tracks are out standing. Also some great hikes available. Still one must always return to the city and that was my problem.

Lack of side walks, vendors all over existing ones, over crowding, smoke belching jeeps, trucks buses intolerable standard of driving, it takes its toll.

Now some 18 months later here in a smaller city in Negros my only regret is ...should of made the move sooner, quality of life vastly improved. Re enforced by necessary trips to Cebu once a month or so.

• Like 5

jon1
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jake, no San Magoos in my household. Only home brewed Ales, Porters and Stouts. :) :cheersty:

My apologies Jake, a slight typo, I forgot to include my latest favorite, Belgian Saisons  :cheersty:  :cheersty:  :cheersty:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

My apologies Jake, a slight typo, I forgot to include my latest favorite, Belgian Saisons  :cheersty:  :cheersty:  :cheersty:

Triple LIKE Gunny!

• Like 1