Well. I Just Won My Annulment :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I will not tell the story because clearly you don't think it would be helpful.

And I will not take you to dinner at MacDonald's because you are a disrespectful boy.  My mother used that tone on me when I was 4.  Lets contribute to the thread and not act like we are in kindergarten.

EDIT:  Note this is a 'friendly' moderators notice to play nice  :cheersty:   Not a member's comment to be replied to.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Shol
Posted
Posted

The reason I ask is that I am a widower and all I had to do is swear to it at the US Consulate Office in Cebu. I did not have to produce a death certificate. If so, then anyone can swear they are eligible to marry without producing evidence.

Two big problems.  Perjury followed by bigamy if you marry again, both very serious crimes.  I would hate to live life waiting for a policeman to say "you need to come with us".  There would also be the potential of your non-ex turning you into the BI or extorting money to keep silent.  JMO :)  

Exactly this.  I have been offered a "free" 13A hook up before and wouldn't even consider it as who knows when theyd write me again to extort me

Shol
Posted
Posted

I have an annulment case Mogo, but I will defer to your higher judgement.

Well I think it was the "method to the madness" :)

I know that I could probably (and have made jokes but really it would be great) write a book on my stay here since 2007.    This would involve the work and the personal life and of course the psychology of "love" and how it can be very very different in they mind/eyes of the foreigner and some of the people here.

And I will be honest.  When I started going down this path I was lost and sitting here in tears drinking a bottle of Tanduay rum a night not sure what to do and feeling like the biggest loser / sucker.

I would feel great if I could have an impact on anyone else going through that to help them.  It would be my pleasure and would be most productive way to make up for my own ignorance and stupidity and also with my "ex" wife's deception.   (A deception that one who is trying to rationalize will be blind and even ignore the warnings of those around him especially if your personality type is the "sees the positive side" type.)

Anyway :)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have a question.

I wonder if a marriage by a foreigner to a Filipina or Thai is documented in their home country, If not, then why not just return to your home country and start over. Unless, you are planning to remain in the Philipines and try again. Yes, it would be documented here in NSO. 

What do you think?  

The reason I ask is that I am a widower and all I had to do is swear to it at the US Consulate Office in Cebu. I did not have to produce a death certificate. If so, then anyone can swear they are eligeable to marry without producing evidence.

I'm not contemplating anything. Just wondering because of the problems foreigners are having with annulments and divorces.

I would just go back to the US (probably Guam) and file for a divorce.   No reason to hide it.

Shol
Posted
Posted

I have a question.

I wonder if a marriage by a foreigner to a Filipina or Thai is documented in their home country, If not, then why not just return to your home country and start over. Unless, you are planning to remain in the Philipines and try again. Yes, it would be documented here in NSO. 

What do you think?  

The reason I ask is that I am a widower and all I had to do is swear to it at the US Consulate Office in Cebu. I did not have to produce a death certificate. If so, then anyone can swear they are eligeable to marry without producing evidence.

I'm not contemplating anything. Just wondering because of the problems foreigners are having with annulments and divorces.

I would just go back to the US (probably Guam) and file for a divorce.   No reason to hide it.

I will be honest if I had known then what I know now I would have gone and filed a divorce.   However like I mentioned the circumstances when I filed were that I was living here and the lawyer "sold" me on how "easy" the annument would be without providing a complete disclosure on the hassles that would follow.  

Hassles include:

- Witnesses being forced into court testify; it's important to have a witness from "her" side and well this was a challenge as there were many mutual friends who would easily talk about how she was before our marriage, getting them to actually do it in court was another thing.  I was told that they would be interviewed but would "probably not" have to testify.

- Subjectivity - The court or judge you are assigned to is a big deal.  I mean some of the judges (like mine) rarely give out annulments so you are now fighting an uphill battle.  When I "bought" the annulment it was positioned as basically a "sure thing" and when it started unfolding it became apparent that it is definitely not even if my "wife" never showed up in court.  The prosecutor will try to win and beat you based on your evidence and even small things like not following proper court process can get your annulment petition thrown out.  (I watched one guy with a bad lawyer who came here from the US have his thrown out because he was exposed in court for having not been present when his affidvavit was notorized.  Or his lawyer simply didn't prepare him properly for answering the questions or informing him of "where" he was supposed to be lol

- Being in court - It was never clear if it was beneficial or not for me to be in court.  I know when I was testifying it was important but that was downplayed. I attended everything and was very hands on.  I think in some ways I was a bit irritating to my lawyer as when I would proofread the affidvaits I was very big on ensuring that the details were accurate, etc and it was annoying.

- The whole trial without a defense -  This was never explained. I mean I understand defending the sanctity of marriage however like i mentioned above the truth is I went into it thinking that since my "wife" was never going to show up because she was a proven adultress, etc. that this was "sealed, signed and delivered".    I didn't know that I would have to win an actual court case.   I was thinking too much with emotion and that the courts would "do the right thing".   I had a great case and I think we proved what we needed to do however I feel that in this particular case the right thing happened.

I found this link below and although it is dated and old, pretty much this is exactly how my case unfolded.   I had 3 hearings during the trail one for each witness (me, my psychologist, my personal witness) might be helpful for those wondering exactly how it should or would pan out.

http://jlp-law.com/blog/steps-procedure-in-annulment-declaration-nullity-of-marriage/

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I have a question.

What do you think?  

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I probably should have asked and I wonder if a marriage by a foreigner to a Filipina in the Philippines is recorded in his country.

If not, then he could return to his country a free man. Yes, I know it is recorded in the NSO. He could never remarry again in the Philippines but if the marriage is not recorded in his country then he can remarry again in another foreeign country or maybe even his own country.

Just wondered since the original question was about annullments. 

By the way, I am a widower and have a death certificate but was never asked to produce one. Not even when I married here in the Philippines.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Shol - Happy to be free from the gold digger
Oh! Until I did read the last, I thought it was the common you assisted a FILIPINA to get annulment, so she could marry YOU   :lol:

Congrats to your problem is solved  :thumbsup:

Shol
Posted
Posted

Shol - Happy to be free from the gold digger
Oh! Until I did read the last, I thought it was the common you assisted a FILIPINA to get annulment, so she could marry YOU   :lol:

Congrats to your problem is solved  :thumbsup:

Well need to wait a few weeks to make sure that no further stupidity ensues such as an appeal by the solicitor general then I can get it finalized.

Cross your fingers lol but ya never know it's more fun in the Philippines :)

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have an annulment case Mogo, but I will defer to your higher judgement.

[/quotr

Cjros.

That is not what my post alluded to. I merely suggested that your response made light of his offer to

assist other members who may be in a similar position. I am more than happy to read a post on your

circumstances and I am sure it will be interesting reading.

But please, this is an information forum and I hope we all encourage each other to contribute.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Will hold it for now Mog, one of the reasons I have not posted it, is that the case has a lot of illegal manipulations

by my ex partner.

It might be "helpful" but that's not allowed on forum.

• Like 1