In General, Are Your Living Expenses More Or Less In The Philippines Than Your Home Country? If U.s. Please Indicate State.

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Mainly I wantant to know the basic necessities such as food and shelter. If you're from The U.S. please indicate compared to which state. Also if you pay rent or mortgage or if you're home in ether place is paid fo or not. Thanks.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

As i am not living in the phils just yet i have no idea what the cost will be, but i shall have a go,

The cost for living here in England, we live in a place called Derbyshire, i pay around £270 a month for bills and around £180 for food, i have no rent or mortgage to pay,

In the phils i will have no rent or Mortgage just living cost and i am sure i can get that down to less then what are paying here, but like i said i am not there yet and maybe prices may go up by the time i get there

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

As i am not living in the phils just yet i have no idea what the cost will be, but i shall have a go,

The cost for living here in England, we live in a place called Derbyshire, i pay around £270 a month for bills and around £180 for food, i have no rent or mortgage to pay,

In the phils i will have no rent or Mortgage just living cost and i am sure i can get that down to less then what are paying here, but like i said i am not there yet and maybe prices may go up by the time i get there

Thanks. I'm sure you're right. From what I understand, Great Britain and most of Europe is even more expensive to live in than California. I did ask people to say which state they are comparing it to when talking about the United States since cost of living varies a lot from state to state.

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Regarding rent....Living near a large city in the US (especially Calf and NY) you may pay anywhere from 4-8 times more than what you would pay in the Phl (outside of Manila/Makati and other high line places).

Living in the mid-west it's (rent) about triple what it is in the Phl.

Gas for a car, electricity, and likely your food budget combined will likely be about the same or more (could even be a LOT more) as I understand it if you don't change your comfort and useage levels from what you currently are accustomed to.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
basic necessities such as food and shelter

Hey ya Tom.

First of all I am from down the road from you, San Diego, so I am sort of familiar with what you are used to there in Orange County.

Secondly, the more I think about it and the longer I live here your question is just to ambiguous to really give the concise answer that I believe you are looking for.

Basic Shelter: What are you used to? What do you expect here? An apartment like you can get at Crenshaw and Normandie? Or like you can rent near the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove? Trust me there is as wide of range here as there. 

Basic food: Pretty much the same thing really. You can exist on the local version of Roberto's, Long John Silvers and Jack in the Box. Or step up to the next level and eat at TGI Fridays or Out Back Steak House. Or even step up to Ruth Cris Steak house caliber.

Or are you thinking of going completely native and eating nothing but native food? Two choices there also really, shop at the local supermarket or at your local wet market? Am I being Vague? You bet! So here is a comparison, you can get American pork and beans for about 2 bucks a can, locally made pork and beans for about $1.25 a can, or you can go to the local wet market buy a kilo of beans a slab of fat back pork and make your own for about 25 cents a can. About other stuff, I could pull out my electric bill and quote you the kilowatt price per hour but that wont really mean anything until we know a persons needs of air conditioning, internet and TV usage etc. 

So I guess the bottom line is what your definition of "necessities" is? That and what your end goal is? When a person moves to the Philippines does he want to exist, live or enjoy himself?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Here is a Philippine cost of living that may be helpful http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Philippines

Moderators - hope link is okay to post here. 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I agree with Scott H. I am also from southern California. 

You appear to be a senior citizen so maybe your needs are not the same as a younger expat. So, we get into "wants and needs". What do you want and what do you need to live a life of a retiree? They like to say $1500 is enough to live on. 

Well, until you are here and in the location you want to live, then you can start making your budget. The closer you are to a city with all the conveniences, the more it will cost you to live like you do in Orange county. The further away you live, the cheaper it gets but then that is when you have to compare what you want verses what you need. 

Speaking for myself and only myself, I do not like it here. It may be ok for a vacation home for my wife to come and visit her family and friends but not for me to live here the rest of my life. 

I have my home that is paid for in California. That is where I plan to live the rest of my life among my friends, family, and close relatives.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Tom, over the years this important question comes up many times. For sure you will get some new answers here now but also check out the SEARCH option for more information.

Sadly prices are going up dramatically in Philippines.

• Like 2

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Regarding rent....Living near a large city in the US (especially Calf and NY) you may pay anywhere from 4-8 times more than what you would pay in the Phl (outside of Manila/Makati and other high line places).

Living in the mid-west it's (rent) about triple what it is in the Phl.

Gas for a car, electricity, and likely your food budget combined will likely be about the same or more (could even be a LOT more) as I understand it if you don't change your comfort and useage levels from what you currently are accustomed to.

I've heard that gas is about the same as California and electricity is even higher. I plan on helping this situation by getting solar panels for the house and getting an electric car, perhaps a Volt that can use,electricity or gas. As far as food goes, it depends on what you eat, where you buy it and where it came from originally. An Apple will cost more than a banana since Apple's have to be imported and bananas don't.
  • Like 3