The Economy In The Philippines

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Here in San Antonio, Tx it is not too noticeable yet. The housing market hasn't changed much, prices are still going up the average 5-8% a year range. Construction has not slowed much. I do think it will hit maybe by middle of next year though, as since this is a tourist area, less people will come to visit. The rest of the economy is military based so it won't change much.I like you Steve, have invested in getting myself debt free. That way, at least what retirement I willl have, which will be a combinaton of Social Security, US Navy, and some time with the State will last. The three combined is not enough to let me live a high lifestyle, but should allow me to live comfortably if I have no debt whatsoever. I should have my mortgage paid off on a $200,000 plus house which is basicly where 100% of my assets will be. I had less than $10,000 in the stock market in 401k, so I can't get hurt much by the slide. My only concern will be the inflation/stagflation which I think will be coming very quickly. The gov't will play big games with their cola's this year, because they will only look at the downturn of gas prices and the drop in real estate in order to say there has been no inflation and maybe even deflaton in order to eliminate the cola. The gov't is very good at that. So our pension will have lost 20-30% in value just this past year alone. Naturally we can't take hits that big very often, and I would have to go back to work part time, or postpone my planned retirement next year.Only time will tell as many have said. Yes, it will all turn around, but at what benchmark for the average cost of living. If it goes up too much, it really hurts the retirees on fixed incomes as all knows so well.Could this be more of the "BLACK CLOWD" that seems to have been following me for the past 50 years????? Everything seemed fine (on the surface) until I said the word RETIRE........Jim