My Recent Experience With Philippines Healthcare

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Yes, showing you the alleged removed organs were their way of being pro-active in their proof of procedure and billing.  Like a little child will show you some creature it just caught.  In all honesty, the doctor was probably very proud it was removed and your gf was still alive.  I agree with Scott and having a contingency plan, but that's much easier for us guys with families and responsibilities....thinking long-term and all.  Hell, we had a kid in our town die from a snake bite a couple years ago because nobody knew where the anti-venom was located.  Much like this story, they had to travel to 4 places and then it was too late.  One of the things that draws us here is the laid back and carefree attitude, but unfortunately the medical system has the same demeanor, at least in the province.   

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Interesting experience from the OP. Like others nice to read of a happy ending to what could of been a somewhat worse situation.

I would be interested to read opinions from people of the legal right of private hospitals to hold patients against their will for lack of payment in full.

Sounds crazy as the account can only increase with time. Seem to recall reading something where it was illegal for hospitals to enforce this. Perhaps other members can recall.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

RBM, I am going completely off of memory here (and am to lazy to look it up lol) but yes, I believe that a law was passed making the practice illegal. However I seem to recall that now the hospital can extract a promisary from the patient prior to their release.  Naturally the bill increases while the note is being prepared.

The elephant in the room is that if the hospital still demands payment (I have heard of this happening at smaller private hospitals that are scattered around). The folks either have to pay or take the hospital to court and incur those expenses also.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I would be interested to read opinions from people of the legal right of private hospitals to hold patients against their will for lack of payment in full.
If I have understood corect they are allowed to keep you "hostage" if you have ordered MORE than medical necesary  = private room.

calasiaobound
Posted
Posted

As it was relayed to me..the private room negates the law. But one can give collateral for a promissory note regardless of private rooM or not