Manila 136Th Out Of 230 On Quality Of Living For Expats Rankings

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Was just reading an article some of you may find interesting.

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/other/manila-136th-out-of-230-on-quality-of-living-for-expats-rankings/ar-BBkOTMa?ocid=mailsignoutmd

The Philippines' capital Manila has been ranked 136th out of 230 on a list of the world's most livable cities for expatriates.

The 2015 Quality of Living Rankings, compiled by American global human resource consulting firm Mercer, listed Vienna in Austria as the city with the best quality of living for expatriates, followed by Zurich in Switzerland and Auckland in New Zealand.

Most of the Philippines' neighboring countries outranked Manila, with Singapore placing in the 26th spot, followed by Tokyo (44), Hong Kong (70), Seoul (72), Taipei (83), Kuala Lumpur (84), Shanghai (101), Bangkok (117), and Beijing (118).

Coming behind Manila in 140th place is Jakarta.

European countries are noticeably dominating the ranking, with 14 European cities in the Top 21, together with cities from Canada, New Zealand, and Australia. The first US city on the list, San Francisco, comes in at 27.

The Quality of Living Ranking is based on Mercer's Quality of Living survey that studies the living conditions in major cities all over the world to assist several multinational companies and employers in ensuring fair compensation for employees sent to fulfill international assignments.

Some of the factors that affect the list include climate, disease and sanitation standards, as well as ease of communication, and physical remoteness. All of these are seen as having relevant effects to the success of a foreign assignment.

Aside from the ones mentioned above, the survey also considers the local political and social environemtn, political violence, and crime that may pose inconvenience and even danger to international employees.

According to Mercer, the Quality of Living reports also aim to assist in determining "the hardship allowances based on differences between the assignee’s home and host locations for transfers among over 440 locations worldwide."

Chris

chris49
Posted
Posted

Useless.

I have one here that goes. Australia, Belize. Canada, 1-2-3. Latin American countries do extremely well in cost of living polls, but the one posted is "Quality of Living"

Zurich, Switzerland gets 4th. There is no single retiree from the entire Sth Hemisphere, US, UK, Canada, that would choose to live in Switzerland, home of rich Arabs and retired multimillionaires.

I have another one here saying "Philippines No 1 Retirement Destination in Asia, Thailand 2nd"

It depends on the category.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Read this also and agree 110% with Chris. To me this survey was focused upon expats who live and "work" abroad. No mention about cost of living advantages.

• Like 1

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

I agree with Chris too, just wanted to see what others opinions are on the article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For me it all depends on the peso in your pocket.

Making the income fit the Bill not trying to make the bill fit the Income, that just don't work. :rolleyes:

JP  :tiphat:

Morning all :morning1:

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

There are only a few things I like about Manila.

1. Intramuros

2. Fort Santiago

3. Mall of Asia

4. Glorietta Mall

I wouldn't want to live there.  So, I guess I would probably rate it much lower than 136. 

• 3 weeks later...
afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Useful for expats, not so useful for non-expats (as the article clearly states) - so I'm not sure I understand the discussion here. 

If you are well-paid Switzerland is a pretty good place to live I'd think.