Retirement On Pension

7421descain
Posted
Posted

Let me just tank everybody. It would never occur to me to keep my income a secret. Here in the States my income is only about average for the cost of living.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Maintain Medicare in the USA.

Your best bet would be to fly back to USA for a major medical problem, your only problem there would be an emergency.

I rarely see a Doc, as a retired nurse myself.

If I'm you here in Phils. I go to the local gov't hospital, seek out the head physician. Tell him you want to be his private patient then start seeing him now and then, costs 300-500 per visit. If anything comes up, he is your advisor.

davewe
Posted
Posted

Let me just tank everybody. It would never occur to me to keep my income a secret. Here in the States my income is only about average for the cost of living.

Yes, but the 4700/month pension is not average. With that amount fellow expats will assume you are buying the beer.

I don't like a lot of the talk you hear about greedy Filipinos, but that figure you quoted would be incomprehensible to the average Filipino. your challenge will not be having a good life in the Philippines; your challenge will be maintaining a modest life. It's a good problem to have!

• Like 4

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Nice problem to have, as long as things go along as they have. 9 years in Filipino time equates to 12.35 years or so, based on my calculations. This accounts for the average wait time when the Filipino is to be in a location at a particular time and other various logarithms. Kind of like Human years verses dog years. So in those terms 9 years may not seem to bad. Any way that's how I got through the wait period. I was just happy I wasn't a Filipino waiting to go to the Philippines. I now have a self imposed waiting period of an additional 4 months. I will wait out the economy and see where it is going. I guess that puts me on par with Filipino time, now that I think about it.     

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Depending on your lifestyle... $4,700 should easily provide all your needs and a good savings account for medical expenses.