Atm Machines??

patmac
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just came from TD Bank  in N.J. USA $200.00 USD gets me   $ 7500.00 P paso thats about  $37.00 fee to the bank for the exchange .  Question,  can i use my visa  debit card at Cebu airport to get paso's .     In Costa Rica i swipe my  card  Enter Pin #  they ask for the amount of cash i want  i enter $100.00 then select  US dollars or Clones  !!!       Where and how is the best way to exchange US dollars to P paso on my way to the Philippines      I think i can get  p paso in Cebu Airport just hesitate using cash machines at Airport's       Mac Machines at Newark international do not dispense P Paso  do i get money at HK or Cebu City  need paso to pay taxi & tips . Hate  to pay the 20 percent

Hope i made myself clear  :bash: 

Edited by patmac

earthdome
Posted
Posted
I just came from TD Bank  in N.J. USA $200.00 USD gets me   $ 7500.00 P paso

Wow. What a ripoff. Go to your bank and withdraw some nice crisp new $100 bills. Then you can exchange them at the airport when you arrive at a much better rate. Just get what you need for the next day or so. Then later find a money changer, they are all over, and get an excellent fx rate.

I recommend you carry those $100 bills in a money belt which is worn underneath your clothing.

You always get the best FX rate when exchanging US $100 bills.

I also use a Capital One Credit Card for those places like hotels and major restaurants which accept them. Capital One gives you an excellent FX rate with no additional fees.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Be sure to notify your bank you will be using your ATM and credit cards overseas. 

Your local airport may have Peso's it will be expensive but you could get a few thousand. Korea, and Hong Kong airports also have Peso but not cheap.

Yes, there is an ATM machine at the Cebu (Mactan) airport. Its just outside the arrival area exit doors to your right.

At Mactan airport there will be a friendly mob of people there but also policemen. Porters (in uniforms with badges) may grab your bags in order to "help" just be polite and say no. Or agree but set a price first they can watch your bags while you get your cash. Others are pimping cabs cars of God only knows what and will be in your face. Again just be polite although its hard being tired after a long flight. 

bows00
Posted
Posted

yeah, I always use US $100 bills and my debit card at ATM when desperate.  Make sure you have the newest bills, or some cash exchange locations wont take them.

patmac
Posted
Posted

Thank's  I'm staying @ the Welcome Hotel just need  paso's  for a cab if i miss, or don't see the shuttle driver, from the Hotel .     i think the cab fair is 1000 php =around $ 20.00 i could always give him a $20.00    then i can change $100.00 in bank or  hotel . Thank's   PS    Hope  to meet a few expats  in the Mall !  Patrick

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thank's  I'm staying @ the Welcome Hotel just need  paso's  for a cab if i miss, or don't see the shuttle driver, from the Hotel .     i think the cab fair is 1000 php =around $ 20.00 i could always give him a $20.00    then i can change $100.00 in bank or  hotel . Thank's   PS    Hope  to meet a few expats  in the Mall !  Patrick

I would not do FX at a hotel unless I were desperate. They really gouge you on the fx rate.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Thank's  I'm staying @ the Welcome Hotel just need  paso's

My friend a word to the wise here, not always a good Idea to state exactly where you are going to be staying and only too pleased to see no dates mentioned. :thumbsup: It's all about your Safety and security.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

He won't want a $20 bill. Its just as easy to get in the taxi and ask the driver to take you to an ATM somewhere on the way.

Also I changed the topic title as not sure what a Mac machine is  :)

Lou49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I get 10,000 php from my TD bank at home and 1 or 2 thousand dollars  cash before I leave.It takes 3 or 4 days for the bank to get the pesos. When I arrive i convert my dollars to pesos at Rustans at Ayala Mall. 37 bucks is no big deal for the security and convenience.

Edited by Lou49

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Cabfare from airport to Wellcome Hotel is under 300 php, maybe 350 to 400 if traffic is insane.