New Guy In Cebu !!!

robbie1604
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow Expats,

I will be making my way to Cebu in July, just a few questions if you could please help me out?????

I am a former British Military serviceman with 24 years service and a veteran, I have a pension of over $1.000 per month can I apply/approval for SRRV Courtesy?

Also I am a personal fitness trainer, are there many expats/pinoy that would be interested in individual or group fitness training, bootcamp/circuit training???? Just after a few thoughts !!!!!!!

Robbie     

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I am a former British Military serviceman with 24 years service and a veteran, I have a pension of over $1.000 per month can I apply/approval for SRRV Courtesy?

Hi Robbie, retired  US army here, maybe we ate some of the same sand. I believe that the SRRV requires a lump sum deposit 10K usd comes to mind but there are others on the board that will have more for you.

are there many expats/pinoy that would be interested in individual or group fitness training, bootcamp/circuit training????

My first thoughts, (after I picked myself off the floor laughing) is a resounding "I doubt it very much". Will not address the challenges of an Expat setting up and running a business or even working here, but will focus on the mindset here. IMHO you will find that most expats are older and are past the circuit training age. That and most of us are scattered all over the 7100 plus islands. Where you will find the largest consentration of expats are the younger folks in Makati and Bonifacio Global City (BGC) these are the young set that are more interested in Ipads etc. and not low crawling under spider wire :hystery: .

The average Pinoy (in my observation) is very active athletically (pick up basketball games and such) until they reach the age of 21 or so, then it is work, having a family and sitting in the shade with their friends drinking and trading chismis (gossip). The favorite relaxation pose among most men is to stand around in a tee shirt rolled up to show off their beer belly. :cheers: . I kid you not lolol.

Now I am based in Manila, and Cebu might be completely different, others can address that. But again IMHO, based on my experience, unless you want to run such an enterprise as a fun diversion from your humdrum retired life go for it. As a money making enterprise, I doubt it.

The one exception I just thought of is that you might be able to sell the idea as an "adventure" vacation to the younger professional set. But that would entail finding a "resort" someplace, setting up your course, arranging for room and board for your "boots", transportation and all that. Be a pretty substantial initial outlay.

Anyway, welcome and hope to see more of you on the forum, cheers brother :cheersty:

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. For fitness here, pretty much covered in above post. Zumba is popular here, my local class starts about 5am ( I do not attend ) but apart from basketball or jogging/ walking there are a number of various level gyms around.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow Expats,

I will be making my way to Cebu in July, just a few questions if you could please help me out?????

Also I am a personal fitness trainer, are there many expats/pinoy that would be interested in individual or group fitness training, bootcamp/circuit training???? Just after a few thoughts !!!!!!!

Robbie     

If you are looking for something to do for the community, my paramedics and fire fighters of the ERUF could use a more organised PT session. They usually work out every other day. However, there would be no money involved :)

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Robbie,

You need to check with the PRA http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1and see if you are eligible. I do know that as of last year, they were offering the SRRV to US military retirees. I do not know if the UK has been added to this program. 

On trainers, there is a new Crossfit gym here in Subic. I know the owner and he is definitely interested in getting expat trainers. http://www.crossfitsubicbay.com/ They have been very busy since they opened in January. This may be an option for you if Cebu is not a hard requirement.

:cheersty:

Jon

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Robbie,

You need to check with the PRA http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1and see if you are eligible. I do know that as of last year, they were offering the SRRV to US military retirees. I do not know if the UK has been added to this program. 

On trainers, there is a new Crossfit gym here in Subic. I know the owner and he is definitely interested in getting expat trainers. http://www.crossfitsubicbay.com/ They have been very busy since they opened in January. This may be an option for you if Cebu is not a hard requirement.

:cheersty:

Jon

I am pretty sure there is a CrossFit place in Cebu already.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
CrossFit place in Cebu already.

We will have to wait for the OP to check back in, but I believe he was thinking about setting up a military type "circuit" course with boot camp element thrown in.  I might be wrong :bash: but there is a world of difference between the two

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

We will have to wait for the OP to check back in, but I believe he was thinking about setting up a military type "circuit" course with boot camp element thrown in.  I might be wrong :bash: but there is a world of difference between the two

you are correct.

jon1
Posted
Posted

you are correct.

I agree but Crossfit is the rage now with the PInoys with money. They are doing lots of Triathalons being held in the Philippines and I see them here in Subic it seems almost once a quarter. I also am seeing cycling races here quite frequently. 

There probably is not a big market for the boot camp circuit course. 

• Like 1

robbie1604
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow Expats,

Robbie     

If you are looking for something to do for the community, my paramedics and fire fighters of the ERUF could use a more organised PT session. They usually work out every other day. However, there would be no money involved :)

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, like I said I will be over in July and probably need a good few weeks to sort myself out and things. I am always up for helping in the community and if your paramedics and fire fighters are willing for some guidance then I would like to help. This would help me to meet people and gain some local knowledge and could lead to other avenues of work, money is not a big driving force for me keeping busy is.  How can we get in touch, not sure if putting contact details on this is a good idea.  

Regards Robbie