What Did It Cost To Build Your House, Not Counting The Land It's Sitting On?

Hewy09
Posted
Posted

Hi Tukaram (Tim ) I would be interested in following your blog on the house build. Where can I find your blog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Hi Tukaram (Tim ) I would be interested in following your blog on the house build. Where can I find your blog?

If alright, I'd also like to learn from your experience Tim. Can you please publish the name here or PM me as well? I've been reading forums and blogs for years and this is absolutely, one of, if not the best with the most helpful folks.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
But why would anyone, spend 75 or 100k on a house in the Philippines?

I think for the same reasons they would build one in their home country.  Most build what they feel comfortable livining in within the limits of the funds they have.  Be it P1m or P100m.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If alright, I'd also like to learn from your experience Tim. Can you please publish the name here or PM me as well? I've been reading forums and blogs for years and this is absolutely, one of, if not the best with the most helpful folks.

It is in my signature here.... they just would not let me put a clickable link  There is not a lot on it.  I post once every 4-6 weeks... maybe... Not monetized at all - just a little information (hopefully helpful).   :tiphat:

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Nice thread all the way through and may I just add.

For those of us that built cheap or dirt cheap maybe on family land, you may notice, as in my case, we left things unfinished. So on the low cost, always consider we will have to get back to finish those items at some point.

Despite everything that's written, .Physical Presence is Required. Anytime you are away even for a few hours, things are bound to happen.

And don't put too much on the wife's shoulders, she's a good co-ordinator between you and the builders, but highly lilkely she doesn't have construction experience. I left Gina alone a few hours and under her watch, they bricked up half the back wall including the door way clearly marked on the plan.

Beware when the worker says "we need another helper",what he usually means is that my brother/son/nephew is sitting over there doing nothing, so let's bring him over and pay him. Refuse that, make sure you own relos are around to lend a hand, or get in there yourself.

Good advice, thanks. My wife's family does have construction experience. For the most part I'll be picky about the engineer, architect and contractor. I'll see if my wife's relatives can be part of the construction crew with the contractor. However, I'll get the contractor to give me a set price on completing the project. Otherwise, who and how many workers will be completely up to him.

tomaw
Posted
Posted

This is a great thread with really helpful information. In our case, we own a 750sqm lot on a beach near San Antonio, Zambales. We plan to retire in 2-3 years. We'll keep our home here in the states but hope to build on our property there as well. One great piece of advice I've seen here in other threads is to NOT build anything for at least the first year. We're quite familiar with our area, have friends and family there and are still going to wait a year. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading here it appears the cost to build a 1500sqft home to NEAR western standards would be around $75,000. That's not cheap by any means. If after spending that kind of money, a guy decided it wasn't right for him and his wife/family, selling most likely would be very difficult. After a year, we may decide to build a home, sell the lot, or perhaps even build some rental units. Big decision. Certainly not one to make hastily. Thanks for the advice guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading here it appears the cost to build a 1500sqft home to NEAR western standards would be around $75,000. That's not cheap by any means. If after spending that kind of money, a guy decided it wasn't right for him and his wife/family, selling most likely would be very difficult.

1500 sq ft is about 140 sq m . So yes, US$ 75,000 would get it done with luck and good management. What often happens is it ends up costing you US$100,000 or more (when you start adding western standards) and people like to get their money back when they want to sell. A future potential buyer will ask: Why would I give you $100K when I can build a new one for $75K . . and the cycle continues.

This is all pretty correct. I have reasoned in my mind to take a loss if need be. Just like loaning money. If I cannot afford to give it away I cannot loan it. And I have loaned/given away my share.

So for me if after building my close to US standard home and for whatever the reasons may be to have to leave I am already planning to take that loss of 30-40%. We sure hope that won't be the case but if.....At least we could dispose of the property getting some of my money back and move on. I understand everyone has their own ideas and plans but I have thought mine through and am comfortable with it.

If for whatever reason you decide to leave, from what I read in this another threads selling a house is very difficult to do in the Philippines. However, renting it out might be much easier and make you more money in the long run. Just have a family member or someone else that you really trust do the property management of collecting the rent and maintenance for you if you are away.

fred
Posted
Posted
. I'll see if my wife's relatives can be part of the construction crew with the contractor.

No disrespect intended but I think that a VERY bad idea.. Please think it through before moving forward..

Better still..Wait a while until you understand completely the reasons why its a bad idea.

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading here it appears the cost to build a 1500sqft home to NEAR western standards would be around $75,000. That's not cheap by any means. If after spending that kind of money, a guy decided it wasn't right for him and his wife/family, selling most likely would be very difficult.

1500 sq ft is about 140 sq m . So yes, US$ 75,000 would get it done with luck and good management. What often happens is it ends up costing you US$100,000 or more (when you start adding western standards) and people like to get their money back when they want to sell. A future potential buyer will ask: Why would I give you $100K when I can build a new one for $75K . . and the cycle continues.

Don't take this the wrong way. But why would anyone, spend 75 or 100k on a house in the Philippines? In some places in the USA , you can get a 1500 sq ft place for that, where you can own both the land and property and know the property will retain most of its value. You say thats for a western standard place, however you have Phillipinos building the place, with more lax standards and regulations, so I doubt it's on par build quality wise. Don't mean to come off the wrong way. But considering how cheap it can be to rent in the Phillipines, that seems like the best and less risky option. Sure if you can build a house for 15-30k, that you and your wife are happy with, go for it. If you lose it, hopefully it doesn't bankrupt you. But to put up nearly 6 figures in a house there, seems like a bad move.

Anybody help my understand?

Where in the USA are you talking about? In California if you can find a place for such a price, it will be in the worst ghetto you can imagine or the middle of nowhere! In Crown Heights Compostela (a province about an hour drive from Cebu City) I can get a lot for about $16,000 in a gated subdivision with 24/7 human security guards, swimming pool, club house and various other amenities that's on a hill overlooking the ocean! :-) Edited by tomaw
  • Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted

. I'll see if my wife's relatives can be part of the construction crew with the contractor.

No disrespect intended but I think that a VERY bad idea.. Please think it through before moving forward..

Better still..Wait a while until you understand completely the reasons why its a bad idea.

You're probably right, especially since I don't even know my wife's relatives personally. However, if the contractor decided to hire them they would be working for him not me and answer to him not me.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I agree. Bad idea. The contractor would not like to work with outsiders and would probably not agree. And if he did agree, you and your wife are already in the middle of a tricky situation.

Hiring relos works better if you are acting as the contractor.