Falling In Love Online............

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Do people honestly fall in love with someone they have never met face to face instead only interacting online?

Well. Sure possible to fall in love with the IMAGE the other one show. I mean even with a webcam it's hard to see if the other one show the REAL personality or act. Although that can be hard to see at meetings too, it can even be harder because of the biger risk to "think with wrong head" then   :mocking:

But webcams don't let SMELL through.   Science say smell is a big part when chosing long time partner. I mean the basic CLEAN smell, because unconsiously our brain prefer smells, which are signs telling we can get healthy babies   :)   which btw is better chance for mixed couples, because such kids have less risk to get SOME types of genetical generated illnesses.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
.Dave you are misquoting me.

I apologize if I misunderstood you.

My answer is a generic statement which concludes that is does happen to some people.

I thought you were saying that it clearly happens to some people, and my position is that it cannot happen.

I suggest it can only appear to happen due to fantasies in the participants' minds.  HOWEVER, I believe the online 'relationship' can turn to love when real time is spent together, but it can just as easily go the other way.  I suppose that it depends how one views love.  Is it possible to fall in love with a computer program?  I am sure there are programs that can be set up to give the same responses as a human would give but I think we are not yet at the point where the program could generate a web cam conversation that would look real enough to fool the recipient on the other end.  Still, I think it could happen so is it possible to fall in love with a computer?

EDIT:  I fell in love with Scarlet O'Hara when I read Gone With the Wind but I understood she was just a fantasy of what the writer wanted her to be.  So if people want to believe they love someone who goes on line and writes a fantasy that is exactly what the reader wants to hear, well Quite frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn.   :hystery:   PS  I believe you can meet people on line, but the real meat of a relationship will depend on what happens when you live together 24/7

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I met a girl on DIA, we just chatted - nothing relationship... just friends.  We quickly moved to Facebook (better chat options), and eventually... we went to our real FB accounts ha ha!  (that is serious)  After quite a while she got an Aussie boyfriend, but we kept talking, as friends.   I was getting everything in order to move over here.  When it came close to time to move I asked her if she knew anyone I would like.  She seemed pretty cool (we are still friends 3 years later, and she with the same Aussie), and she introduced me to a friend of hers.  Supposedly never dated a foreigner... lives out in the middle of nowhere... good girl... you know what they all say...

Well we chatted for a few months as I was trying to sell my house.  We seemed to hit it off great.  She kept telling me she was worried I would come all the way over and not like her.  I had to explain that I was moving anyway, probably starting off in Cebu.  So I was only coming a couple islands... not 8,000 miles to meet her.

We both felt like we could have a serious relationship, and the talk of love did come up.  I was saying that you cannot really know if you love someone until you meet... and I was trying to believe that.  But I was falling for her too.  Eventually we did meet, fell into the most comfortable relationship I have ever been in, and got married after living together for 1 year.  Everything we told each other checked out to be true.  no lies, no BS.  That was a good start.

I think online you fall in love with the idea of the person... you really have to meet to be sure... I think... I don't know...   Ours worked out (so far).  But were we in love before we met?  Or was the idea of being in love we were in love with?   :tiphat:

~Edit~

Also... just recently she told me that when we first met, and she was saying she loved me... it was not true.  But after time the love grew.... So I laughed and asked her what made me think she meant it now if she did not mean it before...  She laughed and kissed me.  I don't know if that was an answer.... 

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mate good clarification.

I have always said that if I arrived in the Philippines in the AM, I could me someone in the afternoon, be in relationship by evening and for some people that might constitute love, even if it's not the norm.

Relatioships in Thailand and Philippines are totally off the map to what we experience back home when there is a warming up period,,,,but again we are old fashioned. What are the you kids doing these days?

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

is it possible to fall in love with a computer?

Those who think they 'fell in love' with someone who they only know via the computer may want to watch the movie "Her" which depicts people in the future falling in love with and dating their computer operating systems.

EDIT:  In a similar manner, when you meet other forum members in person for the first time you will find that they are not exactly the person you have built a picture of in your mind.  Some of them may not even be real people. Others may be wife murderers who convince us they are our best friends.  People who say they fell in love with someone on line often say "we" are in love.  I contend you cannot be sure what the other person is feeling, only what they want to tell you.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What Dave says is true. In fact some members could be mythical beings, aliens or even have normal lives. You never truly know who is typing the messages until you meet him, her or it. 

beach+bodies.jpg

2004-BINIBINI_03-02wm.jpg

Thomas
Posted
Posted

What Dave says is true. In fact some members could be mythical beings, aliens or even have normal lives. You never truly know who is typing the messages until you meet him, her or it. 

beach+bodies.jpg

Yes. A gang of scamers from Cauayan pretended to be women, but they weren't.  At least not real ones   :)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Where did y'all get pics from my last family reunion?    :tiphat:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's my opinion how can you honestly know someone enough to fall in love? I deeply loved my ex only to find out many years later it was all a lie.

Thomas, the second picture all three are "packing".

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I think T.V. has opened the door to on-line relationships. When you think of how American culture interacts with T.V. characters and the amount of sex and relationship programming we are flooded with, It's an easy transition to the computer. I was in love with Jaclyn Smith as a young man. I hung on her every word, she could do no wrong!  

I personally talked with my wife on the phone every night for thirty minutes at $5.00 a night, for eight months before I actually met her. I had one photo that was taken when she was 20 and she was now 28 when we began to talk. I fell in love with her over a cold telephone. Her personality came shinning through and more important, she got me. I made jokes and and had some great conversations with her over those months. I finally got an up date photo two months into the talks. I was not disappointed. But the day I walked off the airplane into the heat of the Philippines, as her crazy Aunt ran screaming my name down the ramp at the airport, that was a great day. My wife was walking about 30 feet behind her and she looked like a Goddess. Oh, where was I, oh yea, anyway I think the T.V. has opened the door for anything and everything.   

• Like 3