Advice Needed - Flights From Philippines To Auckland

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm hoping that some of you have some experience with flying from Philippines to Auckland.  We are starting to plan a trip for Christmas and I would like to book the flights soon.  I think we will be able to avoid the peak travel dates and avoid the highest fares.  We will probably stay about 4 weeks from early December until early January.

Any thoughts on best airlines, best routing and best fares?  I didn't realize how far it is!  About 10.5 hours Manila to Auckland non-stop, but am I correct in assuming there are no non-stops?  I don't think Air NZ flies here.

Jack Peterson
Posted
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
On the Qantas website it is $1061. Strange that Expedia has the same flight for $1617

Look for the FARE BASIS.... that looks something like.....BXZWK 103X

by looking for a GOOD FARE BASIS  you can find a fare that can fit your  family travel needs

http://businesstravel.about.com/od/faqs/g/Glossary-Fare-Basis.htm

also the nig difference in price could be that its a CODE SHARE FLIGHT,

sometimes 1 flight is operated by AMERICAN but has a PAL flight number too the cheap fares for PAL maybe already sold oit but AMERICAN may have some CHEAP seats left or vice versa

http://travelisfree.com/2014/09/15/how-to-find-the-fare-basis-code/

Hope the links help to find a good yet cheap fare.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I'm hoping that some of you have some experience with flying from Philippines to Auckland.  We are starting to plan a trip for Christmas and I would like to book the flights soon.  I think we will be able to avoid the peak travel dates and avoid the highest fares.  We will probably stay about 4 weeks from early December until early January.

Any thoughts on best airlines, best routing and best fares?  I didn't realize how far it is!  About 10.5 hours Manila to Auckland non-stop, but am I correct in assuming there are no non-stops?  I don't think Air NZ flies here.

Air NZ is one phenomenal if almost totally unknown airline. They had a uniqiue contract arrangement where ex Sydney you would book Air NZ, and you would get Chilean Air with signs hanging in the cabin stating, "This Flight is contracted and operated by Air NZ".....they are definitely worth a shake and I would imagine ex Singapore with a very short stop in Bali?, I think. Maybe grab Cebu Pacific to Singapore.... Sing-Auk direct. Or next option also not too bad.....Manila-Sydney or Manila -Brisbane by Qantas or PAL, then Air NZ to Auckland.

Mate Air NZ sponsored a few of the events I participated in (Ironman NZ @ Lake Taupo) so I have flown them and I would not miss a chance to go with them again. For the Aussies, things like roast lamb with mint sauce...yipeeee...and in Bus Class, oysters on the half shell, that kind of stuff. NZ wines, yes.

Manila to Auckland? Maybe PAL? Well have not flown PAL, recent reports are good. Any Asian countries national airline has had to rise to a certain standard and I think they have. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Air NZ is one phenomenal if almost totally unknown airline. They had a uniqiue contract arrangement where ex Sydney you would book Air NZ, and you would get Chilean Air with signs hanging in the cabin stating, "This Flight is contracted and operated by Air NZ".....they are definitely worth a shake and I would imagine ex Singapore with a very short stop in Bali?, I think. Maybe grab Cebu Pacific to Singapore.... Sing-Auk direct. Or next option also not too bad.....Manila-Sydney or Manila -Brisbane by Qantas or PAL, then Air NZ to Auckland.

Mate Air NZ sponsored a few of the events I participated in (Ironman NZ @ Lake Taupo) so I have flown them and I would not miss a chance to go with them again. For the Aussies, things like roast lamb with mint sauce...yipeeee...and in Bus Class, oysters on the half shell, that kind of stuff. NZ wines, yes.

Manila to Auckland? Maybe PAL? Well have not flown PAL, recent reports are good. Any Asian countries national airline has had to rise to a certain standard and I think they have. 

Yes, I wish I could get a non-stop on Air NZ but no dice.  I used to be in the air cargo business and Air NZ were very reliable for us.

I don't think PAL flies to Auckland, based on looking at the inbound Auckland flights:

http://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/FlightInformation/ArrivalsAndDepartures.aspx

You can see all the code shares and there are a lot these days.  Back in the old days they did not exist and there were many more non-stop flights.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, I wish I could get a non-stop on Air NZ but no dice.  I used to be in the air cargo business and Air NZ were very reliable for us.

I don't think PAL flies to Auckland, based on looking at the inbound Auckland flights:

http://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/FlightInformation/ArrivalsAndDepartures.aspx

You can see all the code shares and there are a lot these days.  Back in the old days they did not exist and there were many more non-stop flights.

An update on this.  I found out that PAL does have a flight and it does have the shortest duration, and the lowest price.  Our family would be about 2700 usd RT.  It makes a stop in Sydney and it appears that it is just a refueling stop.  I don't think you would get off the plane in Sydney.

Why a refueling stop?  They are flying a Airbus 320-200 narrow body on the route!  That is a long flight on such a small plane!  I'm a big guy and those seats are built for Filipinos.  I could take it for a short haul but 8+ hours would probably put me in traction!  I also question the safety of using an A320 on that route.  I looked up the age of the PAL A320s and they are as young as 6 years and as old as 13 years.

PAL also flies to Sydney and if you look up Sydney, they are flying a B747.  However, you can't get off that plane and board another flight to AKL unless you clear customs, which requires an AU visa for a Filipino.  Cost would higher with this method.

Qantas fares are jumping around and I can't find the $1061 adult fare mentioned before.  Now it seems they are around $1600, same as Cathay Pacific.

So I think I will be on Singapore Air for about $3800 all in for the family.  The nice thing about this is that they are flying B777 between MNL and SIN, and A380 from SIN to AKL.  It will be my first trip on an A380 and actually my first trip on Singapore Air.  The downside is that on the return we will have to overnight in Singapore, but we can get a room in the airport for about $100 usd.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I'm currently booking Singapore for my Aussie trip, they have the best schedules. Malaysian Air 2nd choice.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm currently booking Singapore for my Aussie trip, they have the best schedules. Malaysian Air 2nd choice.

I looked at Malaysian and their rates are high too.  You would think they would be discounting to fill the planes, given their recent history.  I'm not interested in seeing the South Pole anyway.

• 9 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just ran across my old topic while searching for something so I thought I would post this.

Air New Zealand just announced they will fly non-stop AKL-MNL starting in December, and I am sure it will be a large aircraft.  That will be a lot better than the Philippine Air tiny A-320 that stops in Cairns.  In fact, it may put that flight out of business unless Phil Air really undersells the new flight.  My Filipino Bro-in-law did not like the Philippine Air flight at all.

• Like 2