English Is Not Their First Languagee

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Yes, best to speak slowly, and not use any slang or ask questions in the negative.  "So, you didn't pay the cable bill?"  "Yes.....I didn't pay the cable bill."    :1 (103):

Very good advise!

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Speaking to you now as a freelance writer who makes his living making sure my clients are NOT misunderstood, I see the problem. Yes, there's a lack of understanding, when it comes to the English language. It's a mishmash of several different languages, filtered by the local dialect you learned. I've had conversations with British folks who seem to be speaking a foreign language, compared to my American English background.

I'm not apologizing (or is it 'apologising'?) for Filipinos who claim to be fluent in English. They are, in a manner of speaking. So am I, in a manner of speaking, despite not being English. However, if you put all your effort into making yourself understood, you will be doomed to failure.

You need to get local, and figure out how to make sure you are NOT misunderstood. That simple switch in mindset may help. Or not. Depends on the listener, his or her hearing, and whether or not that person is hard-of-listening. :bash:

Hello Vince,

I can see that you are from the north eastern United States.  I was stationed in Bath, Maine and had a little bit of trouble trying to decipher the accent from Maine.  But it was all good, eventually adding the Maniac accent to my Filipino-American (California) accent.

I think one needs to learn body language, Filipino style.  For example, I wrote explicit instructions in plain basic English about how to wash dishes.  She nodded in complete understanding with a partially open mouth when I asked her, do you understand?  That was a dead giveaway when yes meant really no.  Saving face once again comes into play.  

Even when you get your wife/GF to relay your instructions in their local dialect, it often times needs repeating.  I learned to go with the flow, otherwise these little issues will keep anybody sleepless.

Triple LIKE Vince!  Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

Saw this and had to share it:

10923443_788047074642902_851561408518478

• Like 2