Health Resilience Of The Filipino?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Excess salt, sugar and pretty much everything Jon 1 mentioned sums it up. Would also totally agree lack of of hygiene and particularly lack of exercise.

We eat heaps fruit, drink lots water ( alkaline) steamed verges and fish, rarely if ever get sick. Oh we work put best we can in the gym regularly and hike a lot.

Have heard type 2 diabetes is rampant here, if true would be of no surprise.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
particularly lack of exercise.

This is my big one that I have noticed. You can have the best diet in the world, don't smoke, don't drink, don't (insert vice here) but if you are just a sedentary blob your just asking for trouble.

Now to narrow it down to the Filipino population. They smoke, they drink, they (insert vice here). Lets face it the diet of the average man sucks (through no fault of there own, its all they can afford) in most cases and once they reach the age of 25 their idea of exercise is walking 20 meters to the road to catch a jeepney.

Ask yourself how many times have you seen a young man in his thirties standing around with his tee shirt pulled up over his pot belly lolol.

Add to this the folk remedies that are used rather than go to the doctor (again they cant afford anything else) and when they do get medical advice they throw the "magic" antibiotic at it until the bugs just adapt to it.

Any way it is really not surprising at the number of 50 year old widows there are

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Have heard type 2 diabetes is rampant here, if true would be of no surprise.
Yes. And rather many of the Filipinos I know have  high blood pressure and kidney stones themselves or their relatives. 
They smoke, they drink, they (insert vice here). Lets face it the diet of the average man sucks (through no fault of there own
Well. In many cases I count it as THEIR FAULT, because NOT FRYING vegs, lintels, malunggay, coconut and BROWN rice* cost LESS than most of them spend at what they eat, drink and smoke now...

*I know brown rice cost much for small amounts at market/sarisari, but if some poor cooperate to buy a sack of rice, they can get it cheap. I know/knew a few who sold such for 800 - 1000p per sack 2013. (In Agusan. Bohol and Bataan. That's why I asked in an earlier topic if anyone know any such at Cebu island.)

ucello
Posted
Posted (edited)

I must be genetically Filipino - I catch every single sickness that comes across my path  :th_unfair:  :1 (103):

Edited by ucello
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

I must be genetically Filipino - I catch every single sickness that comes across my path  :th_unfair:  :1 (103):

Please read the latter posts.........

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I have certainly noticed the poor diet in the people here. My partner has been very good at adapting her diet more healthily because of my influence. Now she only eats rice one meal a day, and less of it, we too, steam a lot of fish and vegetables. A few times a week we are totally vegetarian, occasionally with pasta. We always have lots of varied fruits and fruit juices, for breakfast now she likes toast made with brown bread, not sweet, with honey.

Her son, 16 years, however, will only eat a mountain of rice at each meal, will only eat fish if fried and refuses to eat any vegetables. As for fruit, he will eat banana, mango and the occasional Apple. Saying that, my 32 year old daughter in the UK has similar poor eating habits, so not just Filipinos.