Manila To Cebu Car Ferry ???

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Can anyone tell me the cost and complications of shipping a car from Manila to Cebu?

Here are the details.  My bank is not interesting in financing a used car for me UNLESS I want to buy one of their repos.  All of their repos are shipped to Manila to be sold at their 'Auto Mart'  So the plan is to buy a small car, perhaps a Hyundai Eon or similar that was repossessed in another province, and then have it brought to Dumaguete.

So the trick is to find a responsible driver to get the car from the Manila car lot, drive it to whatever ferry ships to Cebu, stay with the car until the boat gets to Cebu, drive it to Dumaguete, and then take a bus/boat home.  Any suggestions as to cost and practicality of this idea?  I could go to Manila and pick it up but I would not want to drive it through Manila traffic and then spend 24 hours on the boat so what would I have to pay someone else to do this?   An alternative may be to have a local guy go to Manila and then bring it back but a local guy would be as unfamiliar with Manila traffic as I am.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

let me make a couple of inquiries, but my first guess would be that unless you ship it cargo someone is going to have to accompany the car. you up to round trip fare plus the expenses?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Manila car lot, drive it to whatever ferry ships to Cebu, stay with the car until the boat gets to Cebu, drive it to Dumaguete
How to DRIVE from Cebu to Dumaguete??  :)  

Joke aside - There are a few superferries going Manila - Dumaguete without reloading, but I don't know if they bring cars.

I suppouse it's cheaper to transport it with a SLOW ferry, but there are cargo ferries, which DON'T let the driver follow as passenger. Have you thought of the alternative the SELLER or someone else in Manila put the car at the ferry in Manila, and then you pick it up YOURSELF in Dumaguete?   If you can solve the Manila side, I suppouse that's much cheaper, NOT because of the driver, but because of a lower car fee.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
you up to round trip fare plus the expenses?

Depends.  I would want someone to make me an offer and then decide if it was worth it.  You have anyone in mind who may be up to it?  :tiphat:

As and afterthought, it would surely be cheaper to pay someone else than to fly there with my gf who would not let me get out of town without a very expensive trip to Mall of Asia.

There are a few superferries going Manila - Dumaguete without reloading, but I don't know if they bring cars.

Assuming there may be, I don't know of them.  When I asked my bank manager how he did it, he told me he had to go to Manila himself, pick up the car, and drive it back here.  He did not go into details and I did not ask too many personal questions.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
There are a few superferries going Manila - Dumaguete without reloading, but I don't know if they bring cars.

Assuming there may be, I don't know of them.  When I asked my bank manager how he did it, he told me he had to go to Manila himself, pick up the car, and drive it back here.  He did not go into details and I did not ask too many personal questions.

If you change the destination to Dumaguete you can see a scedule for Superferry here   http://travel.2go.com.ph/Schedules/schedules.asp

Perhaps you can find a suiting slow/cargo ferry here  http://cebuboattrips.com/slow_ferries.htm

RBM
Posted
Posted

Dave cheapest way is fly solo Manila drive it back via Batangas, Panay Bacolod. Driving out of Manila is not such a big deal.

Second just ship it to Cebu which would be far cheaper than Dumaguete.

Repo car, would never consider buying same without testing it, people knowing there going to loose it will for sure abuse it.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Dave cheapest way is fly solo Manila drive it back via Batangas

Hush RBM, I am angling for a free trip to Cebu for me and the ole lady :bash:  :thumbsup:  :cheersty:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
you can see a scedule for Superferry here

Thank you.  I am also friends with Mr Google but there is no substitute for personal experience and I was hoping someone here had personal knowledge of the costs and pitfalls of bringing a car from Manila to Cebu or Dumaguete.  I walk near the Dumaguete ferry terminal most evenings and do not see ro-ros coming from Manila, and yet the car dealerships get their new cars here some way.  Hmmm.

Dave cheapest way is fly solo Manila drive it back via Batangas, Panay Bacolod. Driving out of Manila is not such a big deal. Second just ship it to Cebu which would be far cheaper than Dumaguete. Repo car, would never consider buying same without testing it, people knowing there going to loose it will for sure abuse it.

Repo cars are indeed a gamble.  My theory is that it is hard to finance a late model car and easy to repair one so its a risk I am seriously considering.  Because of that risk, I would ship it rather than driving it.  That way I am in familiar territory when the problems become obvious.  Shipping to Cebu and picking it up there is a good option.  I may end up flying to Manila, picking a car, and bringing it back on the boat myself.  Poor mans cruise  :hystery:

I am angling for a free trip to Cebu for me and the ole lady

It would be nice :-)  It may be possible :-)  I will know more after meeting with the bank manager again, tomorrow.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mr Google directed me to this post from a fellow who did it in 2010.  Looks like I should expect the cost of shipping at current rates to be approaching 20K depending on the car and the shipping company.  My Google suggests to me that Sulpicio and Gothong are the most commonly used carriers for cars going to the Visayas.  Comments anyone?  EDIT:  Seems Sulpicio is now Philippine Span Asia Carrier Corporation as their former name got a lot of bad press with sinking ships.

Hi, salamat sa inyong mga tabang. Na-contact na ako ang Gothong Lines. Mas barato compared sa 2Go. 

Here are the questions I've asked them and the corresponding responses.

1) Is the car stored in a container van or just on the car deck as rolling cargo? car deck
2) How much is the estimated cost of shipping for the options in item#1?
10764 - car deck

3) When shall I be paying the amount? How many hours before departure of car?
on the day itself, checkin from 8am to 4pm

4) Do you ship from Monday to Sunday? T Th S only
5) When is the check-in time of the car? 8am to 4 pm
6) When is the departure time in Manila? 11pm
7) When is the pick-up time in Cebu? 1.5 days after departure time
 What is the maximum storage days in Cebu? 2 days upon arrival
9) Where are you located in Manila and Cebu? pier 10, north harbor, manila

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

NP, on Monday I will ask our neighbor, he runs a travel agency etc etc and books thing on 2go ferries etc etc.

I am going to ask him if he can book us on a ro-ro to Cebu just as an exercise, something we will want to do in the future anyway

Edited by scott h