Living In Cebu

tommyv
Posted
Posted

I am a single, male US expat thinking on moving to Cebu.  After talking to a few who have, and enjoy it, I would like some more feedback from those who post here.   

What kind of rent can I expect? (2 Bdr, nice by Philippine standards). 

What is the minimum monthly sum you advise to have to live decently? 

What are some pitfalls to be wary of?

how is the internet service?

how much do utilities run/month?

how is the medical/dental care in Cebu?

how has Cebu recovered after the major typhoon of 2014?

any info is helpful, thanks.

TV

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

All the info you seek is available here if you look for it. Rather than waiting for people to repeat themselves in this thread, you should learn to use the "search" function at the top of the page.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
how has Cebu recovered after the major typhoon of 2014?

As the previous poster mentioned, most of your questions have been covered ad infinitum by the members here.  Searching through the forum is a good idea as many members do get tired of repeating themselves.

But this one question has not been covered so much.  There was a typhoon in 2014 but it did not do significant damage to Cebu city so you would not know it even happened if you only visited Cebu.  There was also a large earthquake in Cebu in 2014 and some reconstruction work is still ongoing.  You would not likely know it though.  For example, there are major renovations going on at the Diplomat hotel which may or may not be related to the damage they took during the 2014 earthquake.  But all the casual visitor would notice is that there are some renovations going on and the room rates are up.

I suggest that earthquakes and typhoons hit Cebu from time to time and residents are more worried about a potential 'big one' coming one day in the future than the ones already come and gone.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Almost all the questions have the answers in their respective forums such as "internet connection" is pretty much covered in the "Communications in the Philippines" forum. To search for direct answers the google search function will work better than the forum search. If there are questions you can not find an answer for or do not understand then we are more than willing to help you out but it's best that you spend some time reading first and anyone considering moving to a third world country need to be proactive in learning all they can rather than just hoping someone will have all the answers delivered on a platter.

Click on this link to see how to use google search,  :cheersty:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/11273-google-site-search/

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. All I will add to the above is that I thoroughly read all available info for about 3 months before I even joined this forum. This I found was definitely the way to approach things. Advice will be given kindly to those who request clarification on any subject that is not already spelt out. Good luck on your move when the time comes.

• Like 1