Snake Bites Can Be Deadly In The Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
would not give him the anti-venom

Did they even have it?  In many cases they have to get anti-venom flown in from places like Cebu or Manila, which is ironic as these are the two places you are least likely to need anti-venom.  Not many poisonous snakes roaming the city streets.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

would not give him the anti-venom

Did they even have it?  In many cases they have to get anti-venom flown in from places like Cebu or Manila, which is ironic as these are the two places you are least likely to need anti-venom.  Not many poisonous snakes roaming the city streets.

I don't know many details. This was at a hospital in Tuguegarao City in the Cagayan Valley of Northern Luzon. A larger provincial city of over 100k population. All my information is second or third hand since we are back in the USA now.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Another example: 

Two years ago, my mother in law was taking some merienda to the harvest workers when she was bitten by a cobra. Five miles into Molave sitting on a habal habal only to find that the hospital had no antivenin, so she went to Pagadian by bus and the hospital there had some. 

prodigal1
Posted
Posted

If things work out between my kasintahan and me when I come in September, she wants to move to Baguio City.  Actually the thought of snakes has been in the back of my mind as, like Indiana Jones, I don't care for them too much.  So I was wondering whether there are venomous snakes in and around the Bagio area itself?  Or did that incident happen at a lower elevation where snakes might be more prevalent?   I was mountain biking with my son a couple of years ago in the Pisgah National Forest in the mountains of NC and we saw rattlesnakes everywhere, yikes! 

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Sad and no doubt needless death, as rightly said, people dont die of snakebite in city streets.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
So I was wondering whether there are venomous snakes in and around the Bagio area itself? 

My experience has been that venomous snakes make themselves scarce in any built up area, Baguio or otherwise, but as soon as you get into the bamboo or mangroves or rice fields or even grassy and marshy areas . .  .. .  they're here!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

So I was wondering whether there are venomous snakes in and around the Bagio area itself? 

My experience has been that venomous snakes make themselves scarce in any built up area, Baguio or otherwise, but as soon as you get into the bamboo or mangroves or rice fields or even grassy and marshy areas . .  .. .  they're here!

This did not happen in Baguio which is heavily populated. It happened several hundred kilometers north of Baguio in the Cordillera Mountains. Not sure of the exact location, just that it was very remote.

prodigal1
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all who answered my question.  In hindsight I think my question would have been better posed as:  is there an elevation there at which snakes don't live or are uncommon?  

I'm probably giving too much thought to it.  My kasintahan is in her 50's and told me she's never seen a snake in the wild in her life, city girl, lol.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all who answered my question.  In hindsight I think my question would have been better posed as:  is there an elevation there at which snakes don't live or are uncommon?  

I'm probably giving too much thought to it.  My kasintahan is in her 50's and told me she's never seen a snake in the wild in her life, city girl, lol.

The OP's first link has habitat details. Most if not all of the venomous snakes have elevation limits.

• Like 2