Quotes

RBM
Posted
Posted

Found the two best window assemblers here out of around 12.

Asked both for a quote, two sets of French door, one set opening out. One set sliding. Both shops had written details and both came (separately) to measure up.

First quote            P 46,300

Second quote       P 88,500

Went to highest quote and asked why they were almost double another. Mistake as spent an hour listening to drivel.......In short same materials, same glass, same thickness of all materials.

So guys find the best shops and be sure to get a quote, often I am to lazy here.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The  problem I have found is they don't stick to quotes.  When I get a quote for something to be done it seems to be more of an estimate as they do the work until they have used up all my money and then stop until I come up with more.  Maybe thats just me so let us know how this quote thing works for you.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

The  problem I have found is they don't stick to quotes.  When I get a quote for something to be done it seems to be more of an estimate as they do the work until they have used up all my money and then stop until I come up with more.  Maybe thats just me so let us know how this quote thing works for you.

Thanks for that input Dave, yes can be tricky.

I have it in writing, plus a picture showing exactly the style, measurements and all the agreement, installation, what kind of felt etc.

still undoubtably there will still be a drama at end......after all is more fun here.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
First quote P 46,300 Second quote P 88,500
Perhaps the first is SUPPOUSED to be openable, but isn't   :)

while the other functions.

chris49
Posted
Posted

The builder/contractor tell you on the quiet (And this is why I have told you guys before I act as my own contractor, my wife as the co-ordinator). He tells you quietly, he knows a window guy who will come over, measure up, and do the installation, on an installment basis. The deposit is  XXXX pesos and the installments are  XXXX pesos x 3 or 4. Sounds like an incredible deal, too good to be true and the builder now offers himself as the guarantor between you and the window assembler.

Let's say 60k.....30k down and installments 3 x 10k=60k total.

So you take this figure and you shop around, all these pre fab windows are made from the same material and quite hard to screw up. So are you shop around and start getting word of mouth about who is good, you find out the top price is 40 k.

Yep the widow installer has a deal going with the contractor "any client you direct over here and act as guarantor, we do the contract and whatever is overpayment, we split" It is even possible that the guy who cuts this deal is not even the owner of the window shop....he just reports the contract to the boss minus the 20k and who will know.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

The quotes done by the workers in the shop are rough estimates, they really don't know what the owner will charge. The owner is going to ask you for measurements, then he makes his calculation. Then when the deal is "on" he sends his guy out to get the official measurements and you go off that.

RBM
Posted
Posted

just windows

The  problem I read found is they don't stick to quotes.  When I get a quote for something to be done it seems to be more of an estimate as they do the work until they have used up all my money and then stop until I come up with more.  Maybe thats just me so let us know how this quote thing works for you.

The quotes done by the workers in the shop are rough estimates, they really don't know what the owner will charge. The owner is going to ask you for measurements, then he makes his calculation. Then when the deal is "on" he sends his guy out to get the official measurements and you go off that.

Yes that is why we only deal with the window shop owner. We did not tell our engineer what shop we were going to. Normally all glass is included in our contract price, we agreed pay to main doors as we have changed plans a number of times. Before it was just windows, GF decided she likes terrace, next decides she likes doors to terrace.......on an on it goes. Found out high quote included skin tax.

One comment here guys, if building as myself, using an engineer, contract price. After plan done, just spend 3 months looking at it before starting. Make your changes this time. Unlike us continuing to change during construction, right pain. What started out as a 135 meter ended up as 190 ..... Still ongoing, still changes, and just two of us.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Then when the deal is "on" he sends his guy out to get the official measurements and you go off that.

That's good, the only comment I will make here is to make sure they Know exactly what complete means as in COMPLETE.

1.  When my rather Large roof was done the Job came in on Budget but No soffit Finishes OH! Sir they are Extra.

2.  When my Windows were done again on Budget, NO Fly Screens, ( WTF orders Sliding Windows with No Fly screen) OH They are Extra sir.

Moral: get them to Understand that Complete means Everything.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Then when the deal is "on" he sends his guy out to get the official measurements and you go off that.

That's good, the only comment I will make here is to make sure they Know exactly what complete means as in COMPLETE.

1.  When my rather Large roof was done the Job came in on Budget but No soffit Finishes OH! Sir they are Extra.

2.  When my Windows were done again on Budget, NO Fly Screens, ( WTF orders Sliding Windows with No Fly screen) OH They are Extra sir.

I do agree, I actually thought we were getting the fly screens, so I turned to Gina and she looked at me. Clearly a marketing strategy, if you push the price low you better have a clear definition of the inclusions.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I do agree, I actually thought we were getting the fly screens, so I turned to Gina and she looked at me. Clearly a marketing strategy, if you push the price low you better have a clear definition of the inclusions.

Exactly my Point. There does occur it seems, a point that haggling can backfire. You like me, suffered this on this item of the Build.

Edited cos I used too many words :dance:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1