The Culture Of Distrust?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

sometime must be telling little kids, "its ok to take the candy bar and put it in your pocket at the check out line Son"

In a way, they are.  Everyone here knows that if you really want something you just take it or do it.  It is better to ask forgiveness than permission, basic Catholic philosophy.

Traditionaly the Catholic church teach people they are forgiven anything if they PAY the Catholic CHURCH... :bash:

The Filipinos I know are all very honest.  I wonder if it comes down from management.  The bosses thinking the poor Filipinos are all out to scam them (as the bosses do). 

We had some bosses like that at my old job (Dallas schools), I told them many times if they don't trust me to fire me - otherwise leave me the F alone.  Almost every one of those bosses had to quit to avoid prosecution. 

In Swedish style of leading, each group of workers are checking THEMSELVES to see if they have done ok QUALITY.

The bosses just check data and see if it suit roughly to the expected results. If it DON'T suit, THEN they check more.

Some companies do a few random checks besides that.

More proper checks are done often only at employees who have been FOUND doing something bad.

I am taking a S.W.A.G. at it. I suspect poverty has a lot to do with it. Force of habit. Even if one can afford to pay for it. I've seen kids open up a bag of candy and start eating from it at a grocery market. I had to stop them. They hurried off laffing as they ran.

Why do you think there is no toilet paper in the stalls in public CRs?  The customers will steal it. That's what I was told.

S.W.A.G.   ( Scientific Wild Ass Guess ) and expression I heard once from someone in management.

Well. Yes, poverty can put people in DESPERATE situations and force them to do things they wouldn't do otherwice,

BUT the clearly MOST dishonest Filipinos are RICH...

When rich po are dishonest, specialy with tax money, it isn't odd if common people think ut's ok to try to take some too...

3. Now in 2013 my hometown of San Diego California was ranked as the 2nd safest city in America. But even in that safe haven there are certain areas in town where people put bars on their windows as a precaution. However here in the Philippines if you drive through Ayala Alabang, one of the most exclusive areas in the country you will see bars on most of the windows there.
That's as the 2nd UNsafest city in Sweden... :lol:  

Here it's only normal to have protection bars at SHOPS with extra THEFT-PRONE products (as electronics and jewelry). Less common nowadays, but in some places people still don't even bother to lock their door when they leave home.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The idea that it is ok to sin and then to confess and receive Communion and your slate is wiped clean is not true. The Catholic Church does not preach this. Only God forgives. This is what the Church teaches. There is no forgiveness without repentance. I know that many believe otherwise but that is how it is.

I'll give another example. I've heard people say, " it's ok to steal, everyone knows that Christians are forgiven. 

I have to laugh. Are people really serious about this?

People like to joke about Christians and you can't blame them. Many are hypocrites but that's their business.

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Filipinos were no where ready to govern themselves in 1946, and those in power predictably set the standards for looting their country.

I think that was the reason we didn't give them their independence as promised in 1898.  Our "little brown brothers" had no ability to care for nor govern themselves  

• Like 3

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Firstly there are dishonest persons in every country, and the causes of dishonesty are many including desperation and poverty. As for what appears to be an "over the top customer service experience " or a stringent checking regime as a consequence of pilfering, the positive is, it is labour intensive which can only be a plus in the Philippines with its high unemployment. 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The idea that it is ok to sin and then to confess and receive Communion and your slate is wiped clean is not true.

For the purposes of this thread, it does not matter what the truth is.  It matters what the people believe.  If people believe the world is flat then they won't venture near what they think is the edge.  If they think they will be forgiven their sins then they will continue to sin

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

most times I think the biggest thieves become the management themselves and so they think everyone is like themselves and are trying to protect themselves from themselves if that makes sense

This pretty much sums it up. Most people in management or situations of trust (senators, congressmen etc) set pretty bad examples. So it's OK for them but heaven help others helping themselves.

Hence checking and double checking which takes for ever. Sadly the culture now is pretty much dog eat dog over all. Do agree with one poster stating there are locals whom we can trust totally, how ever same may very well cheat others. Really adds to the confusion.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The idea that it is ok to sin and then to confess and receive Communion and your slate is wiped clean is not true. The Catholic Church does not preach this. Only God forgives. This is what the Church teaches. There is no forgiveness without repentance. I know that many believe otherwise but that is how it is.

I'll give another example. I've heard people say, " it's ok to steal, everyone knows that Christians are forgiven. 

I have to laugh. Are people really serious about this?

People like to joke about Christians and you can't blame them. Many are hypocrites but that's their business.

IF the Catholic church have stoped teaching that, it has been in the Catholic church culture long time. They even SOLD LETTERS which told that person was forgiven for some biger sin...  :bash:  (I don't know the name of them in English, but a translator says it's "Letter of indulgence".)

Well. I don't count it as just  "their business" when it's even the VATICAN...  They are HUGE hypocrites. E g the Catholic church including the Vatican has PROTECTED many PEDOPHILE PRIESTS instead of take side with their victims...  :bash:    Now they have admited some finaly. I suppouse because there are so many evidience, so it's OBVIOUS they have LIED many many years...

And they haven't let Thomas' :mocking:  evangelium be a part of the bible, I believe because it say Jesus was married... (Probably to Maria Magdala according to other old sources, while the church claim she was just a prostitute, I asume to reduce the importance of women...)

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Firstly there are dishonest persons in every country, and the causes of dishonesty are many including desperation and poverty. As for what appears to be an "over the top customer service experience " or a stringent checking regime as a consequence of pilfering, the positive is, it is labour intensive which can only be a plus in the Philippines with its high unemployment. 

Well. It's bad business to be that ineffective.  Better if they would be effective, so they could pay the employees better and more businesses could be profitable. More profitable businesses can EXBAND and by that employ more people.

I will try to teach my future employed Filipinos to suit the Swedish style of leading where the employee will do much of the checking of themselves. 

(I plan to only check some checkpoints to get hints WHO where dishonest if they will be.) But I will START with telling them it's in THEIR interest to work good, because if they work good we can pay them more, and if they work to bad then we will close the business and they will LOSE their work...  Btw - Asuming they work good enough, we will NOT replace them after 6 months/2 years as it's common in Phils   :1 (103):  :bash:  We want to keep them employed "for ever" and perhaps their decentants can inherit their jobs too    :lol:

It's left to see if I can find enough many with good enough attitude. I will not start any huge business, so I don't need to find so many   :mocking:      

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey, folks! Let's ask remember the rules of the forum - which we are breaking on this thread... If you don't know which one? Maybe it's a good time to go back and review them... There aren't all that many!

• Like 4

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have found, talking to workers in retail, that everything is checked and double checked to prevent comebacks. Also to make sure the correct amount of goods sold tallies with the amount of money received, otherwise the staff are liable and any discrepancy is deducted from their wages. There is also the worry if stock gets damaged etc, it is the staff yet again who have to pay for it. That is why if you accidentally knock an item and it breaks you will have to pay for it.

Many years ago I worked in retail at management level and breakages and pilfering/shoplifting were covered by a percentage in the retail price. This was known as shrinkage. It appears that this does not exist here in the retail sector.

Regarding distrust, that always filters down from the top as the people in charge are usually the most untrustworthy and that is the same everywhere.

Edited by virginprune
  • Like 3