The Culture Of Distrust?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
double checked to prevent comebacks

Exactly, but is dishonesty so rampant in the culture that's this is a nation wide practice? Why is that?

virginprune
Posted
Posted

double checked to prevent comebacks

Exactly, but is dishonesty so rampant in the culture that's this is a nation wide practice? Why is that?

I thought I covered that in my previous post. I think you will find that dishonesty is prevelant in every society and culture. Why else would there be jobs such as store detectives and cctv everywhere you turn. The UK has the highest number per capita of cctv anywhere in the world. That says to me that the powers that be do not trust anybody! As stated previously, it all comes from the top down, "thou protesteth too much" springs to mind.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
but is dishonesty so rampant in the culture that's this is a nation wide practice? Why is that?

:unsure:  Scott! Do you check your change from a Purchase Yes? Hmmmmmmmm I wounder why?wink.png

JP :tiphat:

Ooooooooops sorry I forgot, Morning all  :morning1:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I thought I covered that in my previous post

sorry virgin

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:hystery:   Checkout Dave's new topic on Banks.

It could be a week before I can get off the Floor on that one.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I saw one worker "leave" the secure area walk 10 feet past the guard, pick up and item in full view of the guard but was still patted down returning to the secure area.) Naturally once we finished our purchase and were leaving the store we had to show our receipt to the security guard at the exit and have it stamped.

Once again I wonder at the reason for having guards.  Today I stopped in a convenience store.  The guy in line just ahead of me 'forgot' to pay for an item and left the store.  The cashier called out to the security guard to stop him but the guy walked right by the guard.  According to my gf's translation the guard said something like:  "You go chase him, I'm not gonna go chase him.  I gotta stand here and guard the door."  So the cashier's helper chased the guy down the street and got him to come back and pay the 9 pesos.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Culture-history of Distrust?

You guys are on a roll.....keep them comin'!  I'm gonna stick my neck out and give you my observation from a Filipino's point of view. Dave's post above is a typical example of another culture so prevalent, especially in the central govt -- which of course trickles down to the common street folks. Here's the math formula: jealousy > grab mentality > distrust, multiple by corruption X 10 = poverty and desperation. And the rich gets richer, so on and so for.  The factors of remorse, forgiveness, sharing and caring is suppose to be a religious practice taught to the tribal community and tribal officials but where do we see that today?  

Where did this formula originated from?  Is it a combination of ancient mariners bartering in the streets of Manila and Cebu? Look at the modern day Filipino bloodline -- a little bit of Chinese, middle eastern, India and other Asian blood?  And then you have the Spaniard influence for more than 300 years, introducing religious practices against another religious practice -- all for business ($$) and increasing a flock of desperate people that is approaching 110 million with a population exploding at an exponential rate.  

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head......respectfully, Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Another example is the lack of condiments at the table in any fast food or restaurant. Mistrust for good reason, I guess..also the way everyone carries thier purses *etc)....securely around their shoulders as they walk...again, mistrust for good reason..and to Methersgate's point-the processing of documents...like a lease or agreement of some kind for example-needing to get notarized, certified, authenticated, scrutinized, verified, and witnessed by a legal team to just get to step two (so it seems sometimes)...my wife is going through a land transaction now...finally when all is said and done-they tie a bright red ribbon around the whole package and that somehow makes it without question-the real thing! 

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

They tie a bright red ribbon around it... No wonder pizza is always cold and has no toppings... It has to be inspected from a thousand different angles by the legal team first!!! But my pizza always has that pretty ribbon and bow!!!

:D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Much of what the OP described with the purchasing and testing of items, etc. I've seen/experienced in Cambodia as well. So, I'm not really sure its entirely a RP thing.

• Like 1