Justice At Last For Murdered American

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sometimes it seems there is no justice for crimes against Foreigners. In this case there was!

Suspect in US diver’s slay killed in Negros shootout
By Danny Dangcalan and Non Alquitran (The Philippine Star) | Updated June 28, 2015 - 12:00am

BACOLOD City, Philippines – A security guard wanted for the murder of an American diver, who helped retrieved the body of the late Interior and Local Government secretary Jesse Robredo from the waters off Masbate, was killed in a shootout with police officers in Cadiz City, Negros Occidental last Friday.

Ericson Blacquio, 36, was tagged in the killing of Matthew Caldwell, 59, whom he refused entry to the Hamilton Heights Subdivision in Las Piñas City in August 2013.

Senior Police Officer 1 Joshua Barile, chief of the Western Visayas police-regional intelligence unit, said Blacquio hid in his hometown after killing Caldwell.

Barile said they surrounded Blacquio’s residence in Barangay Mabini at dawn, but the suspect’s  brother Edmar spotted them.

Edmar alerted his brother and prevented the officers from entering the compound.

Instead of yielding, Blacquio reportedly shot at the officers, triggering a firefight.

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

The suspect was hit in the stomach and leg, but managed to run toward a creek, where the officers cornered him.

Blacquio was declared dead on arrival at the Cadiz City Health Center.

Seized from the suspect were a pistol, a homemade shotgun and a grenade.

Barile said Edmar was arrested for obstruction of justice.

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2015/06/28/1470659/suspect-us-divers-slay-killed-negros-shootout

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well all too sad but Old, I would say not so much as Justice served but more account settled. :rolleyes:

JP  :tiphat:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You don`t very often hear  about accounts being settled  when it involves a dead expat killed by a local.

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

You don`t very often hear  about accounts being settled  when it involves a dead expat killed by a local.

And that is the only way that an expat will get justice. In a round about way that the suspect gets killed for most likely another offense.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Initially I thought this must be a development in the case of the dive shop owner on Malapascua island who was killed by his own security guard. It is not. Does anyone know how that case is progressing?

I have some in-laws who are in law enforcement in the PI. I asked them why I had never heard of anyone being convicted of murdering a foreigner. They said court proceedings get little publicity. That seems far-fetched to me.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1