Foreigners.....that Filipina With You Underage? Off To Jail You Go.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Dave, i understand the point you're trying to make but i don't fully agree...For someone coming from another country and who now lives in the Philippines, to live any way but by the "book" is a good way to end up in trouble.

Respectfully, we do not fully agree.  You seem to suggest expats are protected when living 'by the book' but I suggest expats better appear to have a halo and live by the Good Book, because I suggest that suspicion is guilt in this country so do not even give the appearance of suspicion.  To put that in context, waiting hungrily for a 17 year old girl to turn 18 gives the suspicion of guilt and there is a possibility (slim possibility in the case you describe) that this could go very wrong.  My questions then become:  Are there no single girls who have already turned 18?  Why not focus on those?  What will happen if he waits but she falls for someone else during the 'waiting period' (VERY likely here)?  What will happen if he visits and she gets him alone and jumps on him (VERY VERY likely in this culture)? 

In short, I agree with living by the book so long as one keeps a lot of distance between self and grey areas.  Why?  Because I could not stand the time in a Philippine jail.  Could you?  Could any of us?  Why risk it?

Ah the joys of confusion with the written word... ! The couple I am taking about live a 5 minute walk apart... She works full time 24/6 1/2... In other words, she's working as a caretaker working from 5 am to midnight for 6 1/2 days each week with half a day off where she goes to school to take basic IT classes... He is a young vet on a small disability pension... They see each other for only a few moments each day when she is sent off to buy at our local day sari sari... And, it appears, the feelings are mutual... So, if he is willing to just see her a few moments each day and she is happy to remain in her (slavery) employment until she turns 18, who are we to kick him in the brass monkey? He was smart and confirmed what he can or can't do should the opportunity arises that they may have a couple hours together... Technically, they are doing nothing wrong or illegal and I can't see justification by any judge to incarcerate him without risking their own career considering the revisions coming out lately re: judicial conduct. It's becoming a completely different world in the Philippines compared to just 2 or 3 years ago... Now is this going to hold true everywhere in the Philippines? Ask me again in 3 to 5 years...

:)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
who are we to kick him in the brass monkey?

I hope he would forgive me if he thinks I suggested doing that.  I believe there is a difference between kicking him where it hurts and suggesting he keep his wits about him by saying:

waiting hungrily for a 17 year old girl to turn 18 gives the suspicion of guilt and there is a possibility (slim possibility in the case you describe) that this could go very wrong

Just one more point if I may.  When you suggest:
Ah the joys of confusion with the written word

I really fail to see the confusion.  It seems black and white to me.  To overly simplify it:  Do you believe there are any innocent foreigners in Philippine jails?  How do you suggest they got there?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

who are we to kick him in the brass monkey?

I hope he would forgive me if he thinks I suggested doing that.  I believe there is a difference between kicking him where it hurts and suggesting he keep his wits about him by saying:

waiting hungrily for a 17 year old girl to turn 18 gives the suspicion of guilt and there is a possibility (slim possibility in the case you describe) that this could go very wrong

Just one more point if I may.  When you suggest:

Ah the joys of confusion with the written word

I really fail to see the confusion.  It seems black and white to me.  To overly simplify it:  Do you believe there are any innocent foreigners in Philippine jails?  How do you suggest they got there?

Dave, show me a country without an innocent person in jail and I'll agree with you... But no matter what you do to protect yourself, if somebody wants to screw you over, it doesn't matter what you did to protect yourself. All you can do is do what is right and by the law... If that's enough reason to lock our doors and be afraid to venture out, then it's a sad sad world...

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave, show me a country without an innocent person in jail and I'll agree with you... But no matter what you do to protect yourself, if somebody wants to screw you over, it doesn't matter what you did to protect yourself. All you can do is do what is right and by the law... If that's enough reason to lock our doors and be afraid to venture out, then it's a sad sad world...

Touche.  'Nuff said.  :tiphat:

chris49
Posted
Posted

approaching a retired PNP officer and asking

What you are saying is what most reasonable people believe to be the case.

But none of us reasonable people, nor you Bob, nor your police officer friend, are going to be at your trial having your back if you (proverbial you) are charged under this clause.  If someone has it in for you and you get charged then its all up to the lawyers in the specific case and the one  judge presiding.  The rest of us will all presume guilt because all the reasonable people know you must be guilty or you would not be charged.

So keep on believing n the sanity of the system if that's what keeps you sane.  I am sure there are no innocent men in Philippine jails so the system surely works as you say.  :36_1_68[1]:

Good point Dave. 

We are a group of older men here. No one is confessing up anything and some might deny, but I reckon some of us have had encounters with younger girls, 18-19-20. I have been here 10 years since age 55. and I know I have.

Now when the girl turns out to be 16-17 and you are citing some kind of exceptional circumstances and have talked to someone etc, I class that as wrong. I can't find any exception any excuse and if the girl is 6 months short of 18 and somehow you are going to wait it out, maybe keep an eye on the girl, that's wrong also.

If I was home in Australia, even attempting to talk to a girl of 20, even 25 is very highly frowned upon and in some cases can get you into serious trouble, maybe not with the law, but how about being given a beating by some of the girls peer group. Now, the rules are different here, but let's be honest, we get away with murder here being cashed up foreigners. How many 20 yo Filipina's are chatted up by 50-60 yo Filipino men, not many. Yep if the guy is super rich, maybe, but not normally.

Now, Chris, how old are you? That's OK, you don't have to answer... I just want to point out that you are much older than my friend... Early 30s... And she looks and acts like she's 25... If these were accurate, there would be no problem... But because she is younger, my friend is willing to wait until she is of age before dating... Going to the beach or pool, dinner together, even going to the show will wait for 6 months until he can do so without some crank (ie: his last girlfriend who was more interested in getting to the US than she was in him) who's jealous calling in and laying a complaint...

I demonstrating to you my honesty. 55 when I arrived in the country, quite soon to be 66. Day of baptizimal, you already replied on the other thread.

I have comments throughout this thread, but I am sure the thread is not about me.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Elvis had Pricilla on hold from the age of 13-14, in Germany.

Although we probably don't know the full story, we do know the outcome.

However you gloss over the circumstances, it does not make the situation right. I have not seen too many 17 yo's who look 25, maybe 20-21, but for me that doesn't change the situation.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Dang, Chris, but you is old!!! Just kidding!!! Age is all just in our heads... I myself am 57 (though I don't act a day over 5)... I just wanted to point out that, if we were the ones in question, yeah, we could look pretty bad... In this case, the couple I refer to look close to a normal age consideration...

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Mate, I would not want to incriminate, myself further I mean no further comment.

I'm a guy who has enjoyed myself throughout life, but do have a few "burns" not visible, as a reward for my endeavours.

I'm not in jail, so that's my testimonial. :no:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I had a conversion about this with my Lawyer, her words were, TABOO, no matter who tells us what where and when, the Law is the Law.

If they don't get you on the Underage thing at 18- they will surely get you on the 10 year Difference under 25

JP she said, tell your friends that just now with all things going on, Stay in the young Bracket of 25+. she commented on What the heck does a 60+ man want with an 18 or even 20 year old anyway, just what can they offer apart from the Obvious and that this is what it is all about. :thumbsup:

I guess you can say, All those participating in the Younger set are getting their cards Marked, or they may well do.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And that is one of my biggest beefs when people start talking about expats... We are all suppose to be old farts!

Grrrrr.... :(