Purchasing A Vehicle In Or Around Manila

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

I have a yamaha 125 scooter in the province but the wife has a large family so I am thinking of purchasing a van something like a Toyota Hi Ace. If I was to purchase a new vehicle is there much room to barter on the price in the Philippines if I was paying cash? 

The Other part to this is if I was looking for a van say about 3 years old where would you suggest the best place to find these are?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If I was to purchase a new vehicle is there much room to barter on the price in the Philippines if I was paying cash?    The Other part to this is if I was looking for a van say about 3 years old where would you suggest the best place to find these are?

I found that new vehicles sometimes go on sale.  That is the only time I have known them to give a discount for cash.  They make big money from the financing of the vehicles and the salesmen hate to see them go out the door at cash prices.  If I was to try to negotiate I would go as far up the chain as I could.  All the way to General Manager of the car dealership if I was spending some big money and looking for a discount.

The used vehicles do not seem to depreciate much, with one exception. Reposessions!  I am currently considering the posiblity but I am not in Manila so it is hard to go to the repo lots to have a look.  Here is one vehicle that may fit your needs for just over 300,000 pesos.  Take a look and PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE . . .if you (or any of our other members) go to the repo lot to have a look then post it here that you are going.  I would like to have someone take a look for me to report back on the quality of cars available there (so I know if its worth taking a flight there.)

Here is the link:

http://www.psbank.com.ph/vehicles-for-sale_toyota-avanza-13j-gas-mt_MEN-136.aspx

post-41-0-83754400-1435641862_thumb.png

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have a friend who has purchased a repo'd vehicle from PS Bank before... And told me he loved that SUV...! He would probably still have that car today if he could just learn to drive as cautiously as a Filipino... Yeah, he's that bad!!!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The used vehicles do not seem to depreciate much, with one exception. Reposessions! I am currently considering the posiblity but I am not in Manila so it is hard to go to the repo lots to have a look. Here is one vehicle that may fit your needs for just over 300,000 pesos. Take a look and PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE . . .if you (or any of our other members) go to the repo lot to have a look then post it here that you are going. I would like to have someone take a look for me to report back on the quality of cars available there (so I know if its worth taking a flight there.)
It's a repo depo in Cebu also (if it's there still) so you don't need to travel all the way to Manila.  Closer to get the car home too   :)

I have just made a quick look, I weren't going to buy any then, just checked if it could be an option later. Much were crap very bad treatened, but some I believe were worth to check more.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I have a yamaha 125 scooter in the province but the wife has a large family so I am thinking of purchasing a van something like a Toyota Hi Ace. If I was to purchase a new vehicle is there much room to barter on the price in the Philippines if I was paying cash? 

The Other part to this is if I was looking for a van say about 3 years old where would you suggest the best place to find these are?

1.DISCOUNT ON A NEW VEHICLE, paying cash. No it doesn't work like that. Let's say on 1 million, there is something like 5000 off for cash. There is no actual negotiation unless you really knew someone in higher management. You can probably get a promo packet, tinted glass, seat covers, standard kind of stuff. There are sometimes incentives on the financing side, and whether or not they are actually money saving is debatable.

2. LOOKING FOR a USED VAN, and you have cash. Search OLX/formerly Ayos Dito. You have an excellent chance, but eg the Hi Ace or similar, around 1M. it is quite hard to screw up a 3 yo diesel engine, but you need some good judgement on the purchase. Maybe also word of mouth locally and see who comes forward, and you are going to be a bit flexible. This imo the way to go. You could also scoiut around used car lots.

But word of warning. I know it's good to send out the Filipino to get the lower price, that's a no brainer. Don't send out the wife/gf who has zero knowledge of the subject. and zero experience in large scale financial matters. She is only going to repeat to you what the seller tells her and generally that is no help in the transaction. Better you know your subject or go along with someone who knows.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
But word of warning. I know it's good to send out the Filipino to get the lower price, that's a no brainer. Don't send out the wife/gf who has zero knowledge of the subject. and zero experience in large scale financial matters.
An other warning:  Rather many of OTHER than the in Phils mounted cars are SMUGGLED. It's tempting, because the custom fees for cars are high  - but NOT for car PARTS!   :mocking:    They can SEEM to have proper documents e g by some doing such as work was involved in the smuggling.   It was a large scale investigation about such rather recently and they found there are many.

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

FLOOD

These people are experts at hiding flood cars.  Be very very careful.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My Grand father always said  Buying a used ( Second hand) car is buying someone else's  Problems.

Watch out for those unpaid Violations & beware it's use in a felony before it was repossessed

Strange things can Happen hereabouts :rolleyes: 

JP :tiphat: 

And it is good night from me. :attention:  

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Watch out for those unpaid Violations & beware it's use in a felony before it was repossessed
Do you mean the new car owner will be responcible to pay such, which obviously happened BEFORE he bought it?

It wouldn't suprise me, because REAL ESTATE buyers become responcible for old unpaid taxes! (But it seem the officials try to CHANGE that by they have started to not allow the transfer before the old taxes are paid. To try to stop the old owner from SELLING or force the BUYERS to pay to get the documents...?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Do you mean the new car owner will be responsible to pay such, which obviously happened BEFORE he bought it?

Well Thomas It will all be about that vehicle and Number Plate. In reality the LTO should not allow the transfer if debts are on it but......................... as with many things we just don't know who is working with who. The thing that would worry me is if I got stopped by the Police and arrested because my vehicle had been used in a bank Robbery or something 2 months before I bought it.

going back to other Topics, the PI demand I/D's for many things but very few seem to use them in cases that they are really needed.

LTO should be asking many Questions on Vehicle Transfer that has charges etc against the vehicle but again Responsibility here can be such a strange Word. :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

Morning All.  :morning1: