Fake Rice Sold In Davao

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The victims claimed that they noticed that the rice also resembled styrofoam-like texture when they took it out of the refrigerator. Sadly, the complainants claimed that they have almost consumed all 50 kilos of rice before they noticed it.

Well if fake it must of tasted OK to consume all of it  :89:

Fake rice seized in Davao submitted for lab analysis

Davao City (CNN Philippines) — Two incidents of alleged fake rice being sold in Davao City is causing a scare among consumers here since last week.

Last week, a certain Carmencita Grino complained of buying fake rice at a store in Matina Aplaya. The complainant said that the rice, when cooked, becomes compressed like styrofoam.

The National Food Authority (NFA) in Davao readily conducted a trace on the suspected fake rice and found out that it came from Cabantian, Buhangin who in turn sourced it from a rice trader in Bansalan, Davao del Sur.
Based on investigation conducted by NFA, the sack of alleged fake rice from Bansalan has no marks or labels.

NFA-Davao assistant manager Elaine Respecia said that they are set to submit a sample of the alleged fake rice to the Food Development Center (FDC) in Metro Manila for further laboratory analysis.

The Food and Drugs Administration also conducted a laboratory analysis of the "cooked fake rice" in its satellite laboratory in Tagum City. The result of the test will however be released in seven to ten days.

It was learned that the NFA laboratory can only analyze a raw rice and not the cooked ones. The suspected fake rice sample submitted to the NFA was already cooked.

On Tuesday evening (June 30), another fake rice incident was reported in Mintal. The complainant claimed that they bought one sack of suspected fake rice but only realized that it could be fake when they stored some of its cooked rice in the refrigerator.

The victims claimed that they noticed that the rice also resembled styrofoam-like texture when they took it out of the refrigerator. Sadly, the complainants claimed that they have almost consumed all 50 kilos of rice before they noticed it.

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, meanwhile, warned traders against entertaining the idea of bringing in fake rice in the city.

The Davao City Police Office said they are already conducting an investigation to determine the source of the suspected fake rice. Authorities said the seller is from Bislig, Surigao del Sur.

Concerned government agencies will conduct inspections in all rice warehouses in the city to ensure that no fake rice would be sold to the public.  

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Thankfully we get our rice from Tito's farm!

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the news. I'm very surprised. My wife said she heard about it on the news  on Philippine channel. I like long grain rice and I think I would notice if it was styro foam. I fry mine.

I wonder too why it took almost 50 Kgs to notice.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

No one will ever admit they bought a "Pig in a Poke"

When buying Rice my Wife will only ever buy a branded name, Dearer maybe but as this Topic shows way safer.

It's all about money and these shysters know where to hit.

JP  :tiphat:

morning all  :morning1:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

When buying Rice my Wife will only ever buy a branded name, Dearer maybe but as this Topic shows way safer.

JP  :tiphat:

morning all  :morning1:

Exactly. This is why I never buy anything from street vendors. No veggies, no meat, no cooked or fried food, and no pirated movies or music.

I buy Julian rice in a bag. 1kg at a time at Gaisano Mkt. A lot of my food is purchased at S & R, the rest at Gaisano. Some at Swiss Deli

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Exactly. This is why I never buy anything from street vendors. No veggies, no meat, no cooked or fried food, and no pirated movies or music.

I buy Julian rice in a bag. 1kg at a time at Gaisano Mkt. A lot of my food is purchased at S & R, the rest at Gaisano. Some at Swiss Deli

I don't believe it's any risk to get fake rice, if buying it from a rice farmer  :)    

But it's a question of rice TYPE too, some I like, some I don't like.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I don't believe it's any risk to get fake rice, if buying it from a rice farmer      
 Not in the main Thomas no I agree, but some where some one, IS

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't believe it's any risk to get fake rice, if buying it from a rice farmer      
 Not in the main Thomas no I agree, but some where some one, IS

Yes. But I don't believe it's farmers, I believe it's some shady TRADER.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Yes. But I don't believe it's farmers, I believe it's some shady TRADER.

Obviously so but where there is one there is always a supplier who is in on it.

Farmers are renowned for a Quick Buck No questions asked.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I still find it amazing that the Filipinos didn't realize it was 100 % real rice until most of it was already eaten.  It baffles me, considering how much rice they eat here.  Any word yet if their health actually improved after switching from white rice to plastic pellets?   :lol:

• Like 1