Internet Speed In The Philippines

russellmania
Posted
Posted

The Phils is at the bottom as far as internet speed in Asia. So what can be done to speed it up in order to catch up or pass the rest of the Asian speaking countries?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Spend billions on infrastructure?  Philippines is an archipelago, so unless you're living in Luzon you're going to have to pay for satellite space to jump the air gap which is prohibitively expensive.  It works in Indonesia as they jumped on board very early in the game and they launched (or payed to have launched) the Palapa  and subsequent series of of satellites from the 70's and onward.  If you understand anything about radio spectrum bandwidth allocation you'll know that it is limited on these birds and is dependent on the width of the bearers in frequency spectrum on each satellite.  Unfortunately PI didn't have the foresight Suharto had in Indonesia, despite Marcos being a similarly striped dictator when all this was happening way back when... Indonesia is an archipelago 3 times the size of The Philippines.

Just a historical perspective but it is the root of the issue now.  

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

It's out of our hands. As you probably already know, it does no good to complain. I'm more concerned with "Brownouts"  and "Waterouts".

I'm almost ready to buy one of those stainless steel tanks they sell at Citi Hardware to store water. We save it now in 5 gallon containers but that is not enough for all of us to shower with. I don't use a dipper, by the way.

As for my internet speed, it sux. I play Scrabble online and it's a timed game. I've lost games due to disconnections. Man, that drives me up the wall. I have the fastest internet speed that PLDT provides and still it sux.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
It's out of our hands.

To true, all we can do is Adjust, Adapt and Overcome.

Brown outs? We bought a generator, enough for fans, DVD player, computer and a couple of lights

Water outs? We have a tank such as you describe (most homes in our area have them, hang over from the days when water was only turned on a couple of times a week). I also keep two 5 liter water jugs for consumtion. If there is a water outage the purification stores can supply water

Internet speed? I use globe DSL its either 3 or 4 Mbs (or what ever its called) I to play a FPS intensive internet game and have no problems.

it does no good to complain

Amen Brother, just like everyplace else in the world here in the Philippines you get what you pay for. The only difference here is that we EXPECT everything to be cheaper IMHO :cheersty:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
what can be done to speed it up

As an individual, if you want more bandwidth, you have to choose an area to live that has access to the best services.  I chose PLDT and even with my recent problems I am happier than I was with the competitors.

If you live in an area that does not have DSL Internet then you may be limited to the WIFI service from Smart and Globe.  A fellow I know said he was able to hook up both Smart and Globe WIFI at the same time.  Buying an unlimited monthly plan at about 1,000 pesos for each he was able to set up his computer to use both connections at the same time so whichever one was getting through faster would be the one sending or receiving the data.  Obviously I don't fully understand it but I was lead to believe you cannot exceed the maximum bandwidth of any one of these services but you can get much closer to the maximum with this method.

I have tried it by plugging in both the Smart and Globe sticks at the same time.  I even plugged in 2 Globe sticks at the same time.  It SEEMED to me that my Internet reliability improved but it may have been just my impression.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

It's out of our hands. As you probably already know, it does no good to complain. I'm more concerned with "Brownouts"  and "Waterouts".

I'm almost ready to buy one of those stainless steel tanks they sell at Citi Hardware to store water. We save it now in 5 gallon containers but that is not enough for all of us to shower with. I don't use a dipper, by the way.

As for my internet speed, it sux. I play Scrabble online and it's a timed game. I've lost games due to disconnections. Man, that drives me up the wall. I have the fastest internet speed that PLDT provides and still it sux.

I would buy the plastic tank instead of the ss one as the quality of ss here is very questionable. The internet here is bad.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

At this time I use a Smart pocket wifi, sometimes it's quite good and at other times it won't load a page at all. I am living in a temporary rental through family, so DSL is not an option for me until a more permanent location is found. My question is, does anybody use their smartphone as a wifi hotspot? If so, does it work ok and how much would it drain load? If it is a viable option here I would hope it would be a back up for those connection out times. Just wondering!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The Phils is at the bottom as far as internet speed in Asia. So what can be done to speed it up in order to catch up or pass the rest of the Asian speaking countries?

I read something about this the other day and the news article said that until competition in the industry increases nothing much will change. There was also something about the government was looking at forcing improvements on to the ISP. I don't remember where I read it but if I find it I will post.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

There is no real competition.  Most of the industries here are duopolies at best.  But depending on where you live it is still a virtual monopoly.  We have multiple internet providers in our scity - but my street is Globe only.  Most of the subdivision has PLDT, but I am on the wrong side (right side?)  of the basketball court  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Most of the subdivision has PLDT, but I am on the wrong side (right side?)  of the basketball court 

Ah! I see so they all bounce the Signals off the balls  :hystery:

• Like 1