Internet Speed In The Philippines

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

Just mentioning it fly-by, I run a telcom business in Spain, Morocco and Senegal.

A realistic scenario would be that I get on the train in Phils too, if it is as bad as I read here. Prices are up there, loads of margin for infrastructure investments.

A thought though, communication + heat + humidity + curious small creatures = trouble.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You can speed up your computer by doing a disk clean up and deleting temporary files.

• Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can speed up your computer by doing a disk clean up and deleting temporary files.

Oh, and kill off Dropbox plus auto updates, while you're at it.

Edited by MikeSwede
  • Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

At this time I use a Smart pocket wifi, sometimes it's quite good and at other times it won't load a page at all. I am living in a temporary rental through family, so DSL is not an option for me until a more permanent location is found. My question is, does anybody use their smartphone as a wifi hotspot? If so, does it work ok and how much would it drain load? If it is a viable option here I would hope it would be a back up for those connection out times. Just wondering!

I did this when I first arrived using a Smart post paid unlimited data plan/SIMM. 999 pesos per month. Many months I would use over 10GB of data. Speed was around 1Mbs. Worked very well with my unlocked Samsung Galaxy smartphone with a wifi hotspot app I installed. But... this really is location specific. Worked great the first 5 months... then I moved to Baguio and it was barely usable at my new apartment.

Part of the problem may be that you're trying to get a 4g signal but you only have a 3g Simm... The P999 plan was the 3g plan, right? I know currently the Unlimited LTE (backward compatibility to 4g and 3g) is the P995 package...

Yes, I know... 4g is not HSPA+ but Smart and Globe think it is...

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So,to make everybody who does not live in Manila happy, check this out!!! As we speak (or in this case, as we all read this post out loud for everyone to all to hear), there is a new fiber optic cable as big around as my, ahem, leg that is being laid between Hawaii and Asia! And yes, it will traverse the Philippines beginning in that city not known as the den of sin (yes, we're back up to 4th safest city in the world!) - Davao!!! Yes, Davao will be the entry point for the new international cable system!!! If I remember correctly, it should be up and fully operational with the year!!!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

it should be up and fully operational with the year!!!

It should be up and fully operational with the year!!!   :hystery: 2750?

Sorry Bob Could not resist this one :thumbsup:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

it should be up and fully operational with the year!!!

It should be up and fully operational with the year!!!   :hystery: 2750?

Sorry Bob Could not resist this one :thumbsup:

No problem, Jack, I thought the same thing at first... Then I found out that Globe was only a partner and want doing the scheduling or the laying off the cable... It was all contracted!!!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

At this time I use a Smart pocket wifi, sometimes it's quite good and at other times it won't load a page at all. I am living in a temporary rental through family, so DSL is not an option for me until a more permanent location is found. My question is, does anybody use their smartphone as a wifi hotspot? If so, does it work ok and how much would it drain load? If it is a viable option here I would hope it would be a back up for those connection out times. Just wondering!

I did this when I first arrived using a Smart post paid unlimited data plan/SIMM. 999 pesos per month. Many months I would use over 10GB of data. Speed was around 1Mbs. Worked very well with my unlocked Samsung Galaxy smartphone with a wifi hotspot app I installed. But... this really is location specific. Worked great the first 5 months... then I moved to Baguio and it was barely usable at my new apartment.

Part of the problem may be that you're trying to get a 4g signal but you only have a 3g Simm... The P999 plan was the 3g plan, right? I know currently the Unlimited LTE (backward compatibility to 4g and 3g) is the P995 package...

Yes, I know... 4g is not HSPA+ but Smart and Globe think it is...

This was 2 years 7 months ago when I made the move. I imagine things have changed quite a bit since then.

Things sure did change a great deal in the USA for cell phone plans and data speeds.

With AT&T you can now get 20Mbs over your cell phone if you buy a phone designed for their network. I have seen this on speed tests. My international unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 mini only gets 4.5Mbs on their network but will work better for international travel. They also don't push the contract with phone purchase as much. It is so much easier to bring your own device and have a no contract plan.

Jake
Posted
Posted

There are many news articles (most from internal Philippines) that PLDT is the root of all the slow and unreliable connections.  A comment from a Filipino network analyst says it all: never forget that Internet is an IMPORTED TECHNOLOGY and is being MONOPOLIZED by Filipino oligarchs and cronies who HATE competition (especially foreign companies and their technology). 

Here is one of many articles about this issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Philippines/comments/2aurzq/how_pldt_deliberately_keeps_local_internet

Only in da Philippines......

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
PLDT is the root of all the slow and unreliable

​Jake,  what will happen when google launches its blimps and high level drones to provide service to PH?

• Like 1